cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Multiple disconnections in last few days

Manchestermatt

Hello

I've been with Plusnet for less than 3 months now and have to say i'm internet  has been very disappointing. There are only two of us in the house so it isn't heavily used and i've had multiple connection drops including x 2 during registering to this community to seek help. I often get the orange light and the flashing B. I have not had any problems with my previous supplier.

Could you please help me to make the performance better?

Kind regards

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Manchestermatt,

I'm sorry you're having issues with your connection. Below is a the connection logs for your service for the past 30 days. This will help visualising the drops that are happening on your connection:

And this is the line test:

There's a couple of things to look at: the line is very long for a fibre connection this will increase the amount of errors on the line and will likely cause some disconnections. The detection of cross talk could be causing a number of issues too, although at the moment cross talk isn't something that's completely resolvable.

Initially I'd suggest running through the standard broadband checks to rule out anything internally causing the disconnections and let us know once they've been completed. From here it's advisable that we go down a fault route with an aim to issue out an engineer. 

Manchestermatt

Internet/wifi worst we've ever had. Can I leave in contract?

Since I have been with plusnet I have had constant problems. I entered a topic on the community to which I got a swift response by plusnet to check some typical things however my Internet and wifi has not improved. My fiance and I have had alot on at the moment with wedding planning and I changed jobs and daily been saying we need to ring 'plusnet' for about 4 weeks now.

We watch netflix on a our living room tv via a cable connection which gets lag/buffer now and again, but I have a media server which streams movies via wifi and netflix is steamed wifi to our bedroom and it is always terrible to the point it won't play the media server films often. Also our phones play up not showing emails and internet/YouTube are so slow.

We haven't changed anything usage wise etc and came away from EE as my parents spoke highly of plusnet and plusnet wad slightly cheaper a month. Only by roughly £2.00 per month voa direct debit but plusnet offered a gift card of £60 which when broken down over a year made it a monthly saving.

I wished I'd stayed with EE now as the Internet was much better when I was with them.

Can we get out of the contract? I haven't spent the gift card and will give it back. Surely if the Internet is poor quality then what are we paying for?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Internet/wifi worst we've ever had. Can I leave in contract?

Starting a new topic doesn't help. You were previously advised to undertake tests then report back. Did you do that?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Manchestermatt,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us and I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Upon testing your line today I'm not detecting any specific faults with the service, though the speed going into the property is within the estimated range for your line. If this isn't reflecting on your end of things then you will need to run through our troubleshooting guide (which can be found here) and I'd also strongly recommend setting the router up within the test socket (another guide for which can be found here).

Please let us know once you've had the chance to run through the guides linked above and whether or not they've helped and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Manchestermatt

Thanks for the reply. So I had done all the checks on the first link (troubleshooting guide) and everything is fine or as it should be. Using master socket, dial tone fine, not using a phone or anything so no need for microfilter if I'm correct.

I plugged my laptop in today and used about 4 internet speed tests to make sure I was getting a comparison. They ranged download of 21.5 - 24.9 with a random 17.6 apart from the 17 I'm guessing the others are an ok download speed.

I haven't done the other link where I take apart the master socket and done the second link (setting up router on test socket).
Are those download speeds adequate? If so then why are we getting problems with wifi upstairs and on phones?

Thanks
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic is the result of merging of two posts from OP, splitting and then moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
frosty8
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Apart from using the test socket to eliminate your internal wiring being a problem, an ethernet (cable) connection will always be better than a wireless connection.

Some routers will give a better wireless connection than others .... maybe the Plusnet router will not give you the best wireless connection ?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Manchestermatt

From looking at your line, it seems to be performing within expectations.

If the problem you're experiencing is specifically on devices connected via wireless, it could indicate your having some problems relating to the signal being picked up by your devices. 

Essentially, when on Wi-Fi, your router is broadcasting a signal much like a Radio frequency and your devices are 'listening' to the broadcast. Signals like this are prone to interference and It might be worth taking a look at our wireless troubleshooting.Think of it as tuning in for a better reception.

Let us know how you get on.