Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Internet speed getting slower over time and now below minimum guaranteed

prettygrim49
Grafter

to

as you are ignoring everything i have said previously, just as other members of Plusnet have done, simply because you can and simply because you can then totally ignore what is going on, i wasn't going to bother replying to you. however, as i have only had my pc on for about 20mins and the monitoring software for even less time than that, i thought you might be interested in the latest snr (upstream and downstream) and speed (upstream and downstream) that i am getting atm. given that i'll have another shilling bet with Plusnet that there will be a rooter auto-reboot in a very short space of time, i took a screen shot and have copied the log file for your perusal. i wonder what sort, if any response, i am going to get to this? if you want to see the screenshot, just ask. the log file is attached to this post

prettygrim49
Grafter

i have had several responses from Plusnet staff to my disgruntled messages concerning the loss of speed on my broadband connection, all basically saying there's nothing that can be done, that the information they have to use is what is supplied by Openreach etc, etc. yesterday i uploaded a logfile of my connection showing how the downstream and upstream snr levels  had suddenly dropped and how the upstream and downstream speeds had increased. theses snr levels are pretty insane, in my opinion, both of them being too low. although there hasn't, afaik been any router reboot as yet. i am certain there will be in the 'not too distant future'.

however, the point i wanted to make at the moment is why has there been no one from Plusnet (or anyone else, for that matter) offering opinions as to what on earth is going on now? i'm pretty sure you'll agree that theses levels are 'not in the usual range' although i'm happy with the download speed, if it can be maintained and not thrown into some ridiculous downward spiral because of the low snr and i'm not bothered about the low upstream snr as i rarely upload anything, although having an upstream speed of 6.9mbps is a bit of a waste with me when it could be adapted to be lower and increase the downstream speed.

anyway, i offered to upload a screen shot as well if it would be helpful so thought i'd do that, just in case

prettygrim49
Grafter

well, i still haven't had anyone respond to the posts i put up last concerning the log files and the screen shot i added. i have to say i am curious as to why this is? is it because i have supplied evidence of something being wrong with my connection, as i stated all along, and it is embarrassing for those who have said 'there's nothing wrong. we have to go by what the engineer has said'? or simply because they knew there has been something wrong, all along and i have now proven that Openreach have been telling porkies? i haven't even been offered another engineer visit, which is also strange, given that the up and down snr values are approx 2db lower than Openreach says they need to be. my concern atm is that as my contracts for both line rental and broadband are due, are things going to start going completely pear-shaped as soon as i've 'signed on the dotted line' and cant get out of anything without losing all the monies paid? i am a pensioner with chronic illnesses who relies on the Internet and phone to be how they should be and certainly cant afford to lose over £200 only to find that i get nothing back when offered a 'you can leave' option, knowing that all that will do is take the existing problem to someone else.

prettygrim49
Grafter

as i haven't had any further replies, i wanted to update you. after the last engineer's visit and the excuse for my lower speed being put as that was what the line can support (remember, i had 31.5mb for over 8 months with no issues at all. suddenly i am down to 27.7mb), on 21/08 my router auto rebooted and my downstream snr dropped to 4.2db and the speed increased to 33.3mb. this lasted until 31/08 when, at 21:00 the router auto rebooted and the speed dropped to 26.2mb, snr 6.2 and upstream went from 3.7db, 7mb to 6.2 and 6mb.

at approx 02:30 this morning the router yet again auto rebooted and my downstream snr is 7.3 with a download speed of less than 25mb. it seems to me that this has happened since i renewed my line rental and broadband yesterday. what a strange coincidence. it also seems that my prediction of the speed dropping to the plusnet guaranteed minimum is going to be correct as well as it is now just 200kbps above that guarantee. how strange again is that! this has to be being done intentionally! i just wish i knew why!

prettygrim49
Grafter

as i cant attach only 1 file at a time, i will add the log file now

i have requested on the plusnet website that an engineer is booked again as what he said seems to be nothing but trying to get away with doing nothing. i have lost nearly 7mb of speed since May 2019 and to keep saying there is nothing wrong is ridiculous. plusnet says it doesn't throttle but is something going on that isn't being honest about? like reducing my speed purposefully when i am on an Unlimited Fibre contract? someone knows what's going on!

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @prettygrim49,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm really sorry for the delay in response and for the varying speeds you are seeing your side.

Could you let us know if the speeds you are seeing are via an Ethernet or WiFi connection? I've tested your line today and you are currently reaching the minimum guaranteed speed for your line, with no underlying faults detected. At this point I'd like to point you back to Matt's previous post

"There are numerous reasons why your speeds can drop overtime such as crosstalk for example which is electrical interference from other lines. There is no widespread solution for this at this moment in time I'm afraid.

If your speeds do drop below your minimum guaranteed speed we'd be happy to take another look but as it stands I'm afraid we can't do anything further"

Thanks

prettygrim49
Grafter

to Mads

tnx for reply, Mads, but i have to ask did you read any of the info i have previously posted, including the log files and screen shots? this issue didn't happen 'over time'. there was no issue at all for over 8months, no frequent router reboots, with connections remaining stable for up to 73 days at a time. the issue started in May, as i already stated. when the engineer came, he found a fault and put my speed back to 31mbps instead of the 27.7mbps it had dropped to. it stayed like that for 8 days, then just dropped again, for no apparent reason. the next engineer who came was only interested in trying to justify why the speed had dropped, never left the premises, never checked anything other than use his meter and he is supposed to be a top BB engineer. top at talking, more like. he reckoned the line was only capable of sustaining 27.7mbps but on 21st August, the router did another auto reboot and my downstream speed went to 33.3mbps with snr at 4.7, upstream at 7mbps and snr at 3.7. it stayed like this for 8 days, no router reboots, no hint of any problems. now we get to what i think is extremely suspicious, sorry and all that but there you go. after speaking to a Plusnet guy, renewing both my landline and broadband contracts for another year (no point in moving to another ISP as any problems would simply move as well. that is the biggest issue with the whole of the UK being reliant on BT/Openreach and the pathetic equipment it uses, unless you're in luck and got Virgin or some other cable broadband available), 5 hours later, router auto reboots and speed drops to 26.2mbps, snr goes to 7db. at 02:30 that night, router auto reboots again and speed drops further to under 25mbps, snr up to 7.4db. i do NOT call this 'speed slowing down over time'! i call it having something wrong, which keeps being ignored or not checked for or unfound. whatever it is, it sure isn't helping me one iota!

just had a call to have engineer here tomorrow pm. i am hoping that whoever it is fixes the issue, but i am very doubtful!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @prettygrim49,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're experiencing. I can see that this case has been picked up by our complaints team and that you have spoken to a member of the team earlier today regarding this. As it is, we're currently awaiting the outcome of the upcoming engineer appointment, but if you have any further queries then please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
carlsthebest
Hooked

im with you on this one.

when i moved into my house in June 2010 my internet speed was 78.1 Mbps now it is November 2019 9 years later im getting 50Mbps and yes they do turn down the minimum guaranteed speed. just a month ago i was garanteed 56Mbps now it is only 50Mbps this is done to cover there [-Censored-] against complaints to offcom because not many people think to take screenshots or even know how.   but overall someone needs to do something.

my main downgrade was when they added 800 lines to our cabinet for a new set of builds.

but why should we loose out this is not superfast fiber no more this is almost down to adsl/2 speeds which we had 10 years ago,  tech is supposed to get better not worse.

prettygrim

i agree whole heartedly with you! the problems, i think, are that Openreach refuse to upgrade the cabinets to be capable of accepting more connections and/or refuse to install new cabinets; they refuse to implement what is available to (more or less) eliminate cross-talk; the ISPs, including Plusnet dont have the plums to attack Openreach over what is happening to THEIR customers because they are not in the least bit interested! they are, after all, going to be able to take payments from customers, regardless of what has happened to speeds, knowing full well that changing ISP does absolutely nothing because everyone is stuck using the same [-Censored-] service and equipment installed and 'maintained' (and i use that term lightly!) by BT/Openreach and there is no competition! my 'superfast service' started with the usual BS 'expected download speed' of over 35mbps. it is now, just 14months later, down to 27mbps and expected to fall further! it was never 'super fast' to begin with but to be down to this level now is pretty grim! all i ever got from both Plusnet and Openreach were multiple excuses, including that the cabinet i am connected to is just 400mtres away, yet this distance has not just changed because of the 'cable route' to 640metres but has magically increased to almost 1km because of the 'digital route' the cable now magically takes. any possible excuse that could be dreamed up to try to justify my fall in speed has been dreamed up and used! even worse, Plusnet are not interested in anything i say, taking only the [-Censored-] that Openreach gives out! and as for sticking up for customers? that is a no-no! their answer is 'change ISP' when they and all of them know what is wrong and that it wont make the slightest difference! until ISPs grow some and stick up for their customers, forcing changes from Openreach, nothing will alter! waiting another 2-5 years to get FTTH, what should have been done in the first place, doesn't help any of us because nothing is more important than taking money from people, allbeit under false pretences!