Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Internet speed getting slower over time and now below minimum guaranteed

prettygrim49
Grafter

to EmilyD

tnx for reply but you miss the point. i have lost at least 3.5mbps in one fell swoop for no reason that actually makes sense, after having no speed drops for 9 months. reasons given i refer to my post concerning the number of customers who suddenly decided to swap from ADSL to VDSL, all in the last couple of weeks and all in the same cabinet as my connection. that suddenly the new term of 'digital distance' has come into play when no one has ever heard of it before and it is being used, as of Tuesday to give a reason for slower speeds, the cable run route being discarded just as is the straight line route. the number of connections in a cabinet magically being able to be increased beyond capacity and existing customers speed being degraded to allow for the sudden extra numbers of customers than can suddenly be connected into a cabinet that was already full. i have lost 10mbps in 2 years and with speed dropping at the rate it is, it will only take a maximum of 2 router reboots to have my speed less than the Plusnet guaranteed minimum and 3-4 more reboots after that to be down to ADSL speed. all in all, i give things 1 year and my speed will be so slow as to not warrant having broadband. the annoying thing is that what is happening is because of poor quality service and equipment supplied by a company that is holding the country hostage. that reflects on them and on all ISPs because changing from one to another takes the problems with the customer. the only change is the name on the bill. if all the ISPs were to join forces and kick off about what's happening to their businesses and to customers, the complaints couldn't carry on being ignored, surely, and the government would have to step in and get something done. remember, these faults affect the whole country. after all, why release a service if it is nothing but trouble, costing more to try to fix and maintain when it could have been done right in the first place?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Unfortunately with crosstalk issues you can expect quite severe reductions in speed, there have been reports of a loss of over 10Mbps when a single line switched to FTTC because of its proximity in the cable bundle to the existing line, so you may not like it but there is nothing you can do. it doesn't have to be loads of new FTTC connections to cause a problem. If only Openreach had enabled vectoring on all cabinets which significantly reduces the effect of crosstalk . (well the Huawei ones at least, don't think ECI cabs can do it without major hardware changes). I suppose it would cost so the accountants said no.

prettygrim49
Grafter

sorry for late response, RealAleMadrid.

i think that you also are missing the point i was making. i appreciate that crosstalk can be an issue, just as had Openreach enabled 'Vectoring' in the cabinets, it would have significantly reduced the crosstalk in some cabinets. i had no issues for 9 months with Plusnet. in May 2019 there was an auto reboot of the Plusnet router. there was a 1.5mbps reduction in speed. this happened again in June with a further 1.5mbps reduction, then again in July with yet another 1.5mbps reduction in speed. that's 4.5mbps reduction after not issues known for 9 months. it just seems extremely unlikely to me that this would have happened so suddenly without something having been changed to cause it and that change was not inside my property, nor were they any additions or removals of hardware of any kind. had it been caused by a sudden influx of additional VDSL connections, all in the one cabinet that serves the area that i live in, why was Plusnet NOT made aware of it? if it was because of crosstalk, why did it NOT rear it's ugly head before? surely had it have done so, there would have been others complaining and again, Plusnet would have been made aware. if it was because the cabinet now suddenly had more connections to homes than it was capable of handling, surely Openreach would have installed (or at least asked permission to install) another cabinet. i am not aware of any new cabinets in my vicinity, so i'm pretty sure that hasn't happened as yet (but may in the future). i was unaware that Openreach or any other company was allowed to reduce the speed of 1 customer just to let another customer be joi9ned into a cabinet. the only reason for that to happen is for extra profit made by whichever companies to the detriment of existing customers. surely that is not allowed as it is making a particular piece of equipment to not perform as it should due to OVER PRESCRIBING. this happened when connections went from 2 mbps up to 8 mbps. the company i was with at that time had to install another 'pipe' to cater for the increase in customers as well as the increase in speed it was advertising (too many customers resulted in speeds that were not much better than they were before the supposed increase.

showing my ignorance now, why has there NOT been an increase in the equipment needed to remove this 'OVER PRESCRIBING' or at least a limit set by OFCOM maybe as to the limited number of customers a cabinet is allowed to have? it is certainly unfair to all customers, whether existing or new, to reduce speeds of some so more money can then be made by putting in extra customers that then result in this OVER PRESCRIBING in a cabinet.

prettygrim49
Grafter

just another little update guys. i didn't start my pc today until around 15.15 - 15.30. the downstream snr was 5.3db. looking at it now, it has fallen down to 4.7db. i appreciate it will fall every day, throughout the day, but something again, in my opinion, isn't right. with a start up snr below 6-6.5db, it gives the likelyhood that it's gonna fall away until eventually it starts too low, deteriorates during the day and gets so low that a reboot is forced. i'm gonna see what happens in the coming days, but i am getting nervous.

prettygrim49
Grafter

well, whatever is causing the low downstream snr level is still happening today. only just started my pc and it's at 5.4db. i dont know when, but i'll bet it's gonna trip out sooner or later. if it's the same tomorrow, i'll do a manual reboot of my router and see what result i get then. will post back with the level tonight when i turn pc off. something definitely not right here and i'll bet that's what has caused the drop in speed again last week! if only the engineers would take the time to check things out properly!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @prettygrim49 

We can attempt to get the SNR ration pinned on your line if you wish? 

I would ask that you give it another day or so and let us knwo if it keeps dropping so that we have as much data as possible to provided to the suppliers when we request this. 

Thanks, 

MoR

prettygrim49
Grafter

to

tnx for response, . may i ask what advantage this would give my connection? thinking about what has happened and the excuses given would it not actually be a better option to have the problem found and corrected? given the reasons and my responses earlier and the fact that whatever is going on didn't start until May, could Openreach not for once be truthful as to why things have now gone completely belly up, when for almost 9 months there were no issues? they have done something and need to have the honesty and the guts to say what they have done! i shouldn't have to keep going to Plusnet and try to get answers. Plusnet should be going to Openreach and demanding answers on my behalf! i am a Plusnet customer but Plusnet is an Openreach customer and it has 'a duty of care' towards ALL it's customers, not just Plusnet. also, Plusnet should NOT have to keep giving excuses as to why it's service is/has degraded when Openreach/BT and it's equipment is to blame.

i dont mind having, if it's possible, i fixed downtream snr but i want to know what effects this is going to have on my speed and my connection quality before i agree and ask for you to do that (will it give a fixed IP address, for example, which is not always beneficial to the customer?). after all, having been told originally by Plusnet the speed i should expect to get is 'up to(the magic term!) 44mbps, only to start at 31.5mbps, 12mbps less, (but have it only vary up and down by 1mbps for the first 9 months), and then, for whatever reason, suddenly have it fall to 27.5mbps and my snr drop from the middle 6s to the middle 5s, i dont want things to get any worse!

the downstream snr today was still at 5.4bd when i started my pc at about 11.30 this morning. as you have asked me to wait another couple of days before rebooting the router, i'll do that and post back after i start it on Wednesday.

as i'm sure you can imagine, i'm not very happy about the situation, especially when it is through no fault of my own. when there is no alternative for me because all ISPs are using the same poor BT equipment. that doesn't nor should it, make it right. like everyone else, i pay for my broadband and should get the service, or VERY close to it, that i am paying for. the continuing drumming up of excuses ('digital distance' overriding the physical distance being the latest i've heard of!) rather than fixing the damn problems does little for instilling confidence in the provider and none in Openreach/BT for using poor quality equipment.

i was offered another engineer visit after the one last Wednesday but declined it. if things this Wednesday are still as they are now, i think i'll have no alternative but to request that. we will see. i am still very concerned that the speed is going to drop even more with another reboot, taking me ever closer to the 'Plusnet guaranteed minimum'

i'll post back in due course

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @prettygrim49,

We can only go with what the engineers tell us and on this case, the last engineer assigned to your fault advised on their notes that your line is currently getting what is expected because of the length of your line. I am afraid there are no further action for us to do from our side as we can only go with what the engineer has advised. I have tested your line and it is currently running at 27.6Mbps. You can click here to find out the broadband speed we advised you to expect when you signed up.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
prettygrim49
Grafter

Just 1 week earlier the engineer got the speed back to 30.5mbps, so why didn't you take notice of what he said? You've been quick to take notice of what was said last week and also ignore all the info i gave you, most importantly that for 9months my speed was between 31.5mbps-30.5mbps. Quite convenient for you to ignore everything except what suits, eh?
prettygrim49
Grafter

meant to add, Beyhive, that the link doesn't take me to a page that shows my expected speed when i signed with Plusnet. however, i still have the screenshot taken when i did sign up.

just to add the downstream snr is 5.8 at pc start today. since this drop in downstream snr, the upstream snr has remained the same, 6.1db. considering the only uploading i do is email with the very occasional attachment, always under 1mg in size.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @prettygrim49,

Apologies the line previously provided had some extra information that would have failed to take you to the correct location. Can you try this one for us.

prettygrim49
Grafter

to JOLO

sorry, that link doesn't take me to the 'estimated speed' page either. however, i looked through stuff i have and the screenshot shows 32-44mbps. i did one at a later date must have been when the problem started with the speed drop which was at end of May this year and it has dropped to 28-40mbps. however, please bear in mind all the info i have already given, including periods of up to 73 days with no router reboots, no hint of any issue anywhere at all, the distance i am from the cabinet (under 700yds cable route, not this further excuse being used to try to justify the speed loss of 'digital distance' [damn ridiculous! any excuse rather than get BT/Openreach to do their job and supply a decent service!] and that my neighbour is still on 32mbps, not 45 feet over the road and on the same pole and cabinet! instead of using whatever excuses that can be made up, isn't it about time ISPs like Plusnet actually joined forces and put some pressure on to THEIR supplier, ie BT/Openreach? i am a customer of Plusnet, Plusnet is paid by me for a service which it is supposed to supply to me. it has a 'duty of care' to me as a customer. Plusnet is a customer of BT/Openreach and they/it has a duty of care to Plusnet. however, BT/Openreach do nothing to actually supply Plusnet (or any other ISP) with the service it is supposed to because it knows it doesn't have to, because it knows it can get away with spreading whatever BS it needs to and because there is no other provider, it can also use the useless, poor quality equipment it does to supply the useless, poor quality service it does because no ISP goes after it! BT/Openreach still gets paid, just like Plusnet and the other ISPs still get paid. the only one that gets a poor service is the customer. the customers should be the most cared for and respected part of the chain but isn't because no one gives a damn about them! the money is still taken because their only other option is to go without any internet service, one that is classed as 'a necessary human right'. that seems to apply everywhere except in the UK where the population is held to ransom by a company that doesn't WANT to do anything to improve the service it gives, not because it cant and a government that let's it get away with it! Plusnet, like all ISPs will never be able to offer the service it (hopefully) wants to until it exerts some pressure but it cant do it alone! Openreach seem to think that because it sends out an engineer who spins technical jargon and BS makes it all right. all that does is enhance a bad situation. why didn't Openreach use Vectoring to reduce the crosstalk? how can doing so be more expensive than continuously sending out engineers who know full well what the problem (usually) is and that they cant fix it? again the customer left with BS and a poor service that has to be continuously paid for. i'll bet just after i renew my contract my speed will drop yet again. i dont know if it will go down to the magic number of 24.7mbps minimum Plusnet quarenteed but i'll have a shilling here and now, it'll be so damn near as to let Plusnet say 'oh, sorry, it's still above our guaranteed minimum. there's nothing you can do about it and we wont do anything about it'!  i'll soon see.

as you may gather, i am far from happy with things but, like all ISPs, Plusnet know that i am stuck. the pathetic equipment will carry the same faults and problems to the next ISP if i move. i will be interested, however, to see if Plusnet carry out their promise to keep trying to fix the problem of if it will be brushed under the carpet once i renew? again, we'll see

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @prettygrim49,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. Having reviewed the account today I can see that everything is currently performing within the expected range and as such I'm afraid that there's nothing we can do at this stage to improve the speeds. If you experience lower speed than you're currently achieving, assuming you're connecting via Ethernet cable when carrying out testing, then please let us know and we'll be more than happy to pick this back up for further investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
prettygrim49
Grafter

to

what a shame no one bothered to take any notice of anything concerning the figures produced by my account prior to the speed dropping and the line now, after over 9months, having no problems and being capable of the 31.5mbps speed. now that the line is only capable of whatever speed you've decided it to be capable of to suit the service you're giving, while still charging me the same as what i have been paying, everyone is saying the same thing! not one person has actually stood up and admitted that there has been a change made to something, somewhere, by someone (not me, either!) that has degraded my connection and my speed! of course i feel like i do! i have done nothing, yet i have to now put up with a lesser service that i am still paying for and miraculously, figures are being changed/produced to back up this lesser service and make it appear as if it is usual! and i have no alternative but sit here, thumb up backside, brain in neutral and let all this BS flow because there is no alternative! because not a single ISP has the guts or decency to stick up for it's paying customers and go up against BT/Openreach, to make any sort of complaint against them! and i am making a big assumption here that that is where the guilt lies!

you people have your hands tied, i appreciate that but please dont try to condone what has happened or what is going on when you know full well what the issue really is and at which company's feet the problem lies. that is taking the mick! it's almost every broadband customer in the country that's treated like this and it's NOT RIGHT! customers deserve to be treated better than as if they are mindless, clueless idiots. we may well not have the amount of knowledge of engineers, the technical jargon meant to be used to baffle customers or the full information but we're not total plums! i'm not saying to immediately install FTTP but when Vectoring almost eliminates crosstalk, which is supposed to be the main issue that causes slow downs, can be instigated without too much problem or too high a cost, why not at least get that done? the saving in constant call out charges surely would soon recoup that cost.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @prettygrim49

I understand your frustration regarding the matter but as my colleagues have advised there is very little we can do.

There are numerous reasons why your speeds can drop overtime such as crosstalk for example which is electrical interference from other lines. There is no widespread solution for this at this moment in time I'm afraid.

If your speeds do drop below your minimum guaranteed speed we'd be happy to take another look but as it stands I'm afraid we can't do anything further

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team