Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Internet speed getting slower over time and now below minimum guaranteed

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Baldrick1 

Near where I am the rural community have a microwave system which is fed from a base station in a town with fast connections,

and there is another similar system in Wales doing the same.

prettygrim49
Grafter

just a little update on the snr situation. as i said, it started off at 5.7db yesterday for whatever reason, and dropped to 4.6db by 8pm ish when i turned the pc off. it hadn't dropped low enough to cause any issues, thank goodness! started pc this morning and snr back up to 6.6db. again, dont know why the big shift. weird.

prettygrim49
Grafter

what annoys me is that the people opposite me have 32mbps every single day, they've never had any slowdown issues etc. one total collapse around Xmas a couple of years ago, but was soon fixed. i dont understand why mine gets faults and theirs dont. we must be on the same cable and cabinet yet BT always has this 'cant find anything wrong, cant do anything about it' attitude. something isn't right or i wouldn't get failures and/or slow downs, surely.

i agree that ALL ISPs should have gotten together and forced the govt and BT/Openreach (can never remember which is responsible for what) to do what was needed from day 1 instead of taking 'party contributions' and worrying more about shareholders than the paying customers!

i think that 5G is gonna be a big game changer. when it is released proper, because the emergency services are gonna be on it, from what i read, it cannot afford to fail. with lives at stake, it has gotta be top notch. once that is in place, i personally think that 'traditional' broadband providers will find it's a whole new ball game. if customers dont get the speed, reliability and customer service they think they should get and deserve, i can see a lot of customers switching to 5G. it'll be a shame but deserved because, unless cable is available, every customer relies on equipment provided by BT and profits, shareholders and control have been more important than all the customers and all the ISPs supplying (trying to) a service to those customers. when that happens, BT deserves to be right in it!!

prettygrim49
Grafter

hi again, guys. looks like you'll need to open this case again. the router auto rebooted at 02.30 this morning. no idea why. my download speed has dropped again and the figures are now upstream 6.1, 5878kbps, downstream 6.4, 26804kbps. that's even lower than it was before the engineer was here on 6th August. there has to be something seriously wrong here somewhere that needs fixing properly. i'm just 2mbps above the minimum atm. is it possible for you to arrange another engineer visit please to see if they can find out what is wrong before i end up back on on the old speed of 12-14mbps?

many TIA

prettygrim49
Grafter

did a manual router reboot and speed is now 27710kbps. that's still 3mbps less than it was, something is causing the reboots and every time it causes my speed to fall. it's extremely frustrating and well beyond a joke. need serious help here please guys!

prettygrim49
Grafter

never thought guys, as this is to do with the same issue, do i have to raise another fault with Plusnet or will it continue under the last one? i haven't, as far as i know, been contacted by Plusnet to do with the result of the engineer visit on 6th August so am a bit in the dark. i updated the previous fault with plusnet. understandably, no response as yet. should i start from scratch again, trying to get into a conversation with a plusnet operative or wait til i get a response on here? i was unable to raise another fault on the plusnet page so dont really know what i've got to do.

prettygrim49
Grafter

spoke to plusnet again. another engineer visit booked for tomorrow pm. will update here after he's been. although this is very annoying, the thing i find most strange is that the speed drops by 3.5 mbps whenever the router auto-reboots. dont understand why that should be. also,i appreciate that the line CAN degrade, but to drop over 5mbps of speed in less than a year, then be told that the line is only capable of the speed it's giving atm just dont make sense. it certainly throws the capability of 35mbps to 42mbps right out the window! no new equipment in the house, no settings changed on anything already here and what on earth could facilitate a router auto-reboot at 02.30 in the morning? nothing apart from the fridge-freezer is on and obviously that never turns off. even the street lights go out at 1am so doubt if it's that. i'm at a loss for what's causing this. there's obviously more than 1 house on the same cable, so wonder which one is causing the problem that keeps rearing it's ugly head for me. problem is, 99% of people still know nothing about broadband, about speeds, snr, etc, etc so dont know when they have a slowdown or other problem. this is what the various ISPs prefer and what BT/Openreach want. however, when someone knows enough to at least keep track of what's going on with a service they're paying for and know when their service has changed, speed has been lost etc, we are frowned upon. shame.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @prettygrim49,

Thanks for getting back in touch and we are sorry to see that the issue is still ongoing.

I can see that you have spoken with a member of our faults team today, who have arranged an engineer appointment here.

Please lets us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
prettygrim49
Grafter

ok. the engineer asked if he could come here early and i obviously agreed. here's the update from what he found and said. i cant say whether the info is correct or not, but it is extremely disappointing and very worrying.

according to him, there are no faults. the speed drop has occurred because of an influx of customers moving from adsl to vdsl connections in the cabinet i am connected to. strange how everything was fine for 9months! must have been a hell of an influx of customers! this, i would have thought, was info that BT/Openreach should have made Plusnet aware of. had that info been available, maybe an engineer visit wouldn't have been arranged. according to his router speed test, the connection is 2mbps faster than what the Plusnet router shows. maybe a fault in my router? i dont know.

the distance my home is from the cabinet is under 700yds but, according to the engineer, they now go by the 'Digital Distance', not the 'cable route distance'. Plusnet told me the distance from the cabinet yesterday, but used this new found 'digital distance' rather than the cable run distance, so i disputed it. the difference being 'the number of connections on to the cable that runs to my home increases the electrical resistance' and this equates to an increase in the 'true' distance the cable runs. i've never heard of this before, so again dont know if this is a BS excuse or not. it certainly gives another excuse for the speed drop i not only now have but will get more of until it is below the guaranteed minimum Plusnet state. what is very concerning is that over a 2 year period, i have lost over 10mbps in download speed, even though there are no extra houses built close to me. when will it end? i was told previously that no customer has their speed lowered to cater for an increase in the number of customers. seems that either that statement is untrue or what i was told this morning is. i also find it extremely concerning that my neighbour opposite, just 35-40 feet away doesn't have any issues with his broadband speed at all. this apparently is due to him being on 'one side of a cable and having less 'cross talk' than i get on the other side of the cable'. more BS? i dont know. i have to also wonder how long it will be before i am down to adsl speed, 12mbps or less? with the engineer telling me that the minimum guaranteed broadband speed from BT/Openreach is just 15mbps, something else i have never heard of, i have to wonder what is the point of developing 'super fast broadband anyway? we all pay extra to have the faster speeds. if all that BT/Openreach have to offer is 15mbps, why is there all this worry about having faster speeds? is it just that the government only wants businesses to use it and want to keep the public on as slow speed as it can? that wont be very good for ISPs, will it?

my contract with Plusnet is up in a couple of weeks but although i had a reminder quite a while ago about 'line rental' i haven't had anything at all about my broadband. given that moving isn't going to change anything, even though the speed has dropped below what i was told i 'could expect' (35-42mbps) when i joined, what is the point of changing ISP? no cable company here, so the only change would be which company gets the monthly fee. and all the while, i get a slower and slower service!

i wonder what sort of replies i'll get to this post, if any? one way or another, this should at least highlight, again, the terrible broadband service that we are all held hostage to, all because the deciding company wouldn't install the technology it should have, when it should have. pretty poor show, really

prettygrim49
Grafter

another point is why were/are BT/Openreach being allowed to, let alone carry out all these extra connections into a cabinet if it is already up to or even over it's maximum capacity? the engineer told me that the council have stopped an additional cabinet from being put in place. how can this be? BT/Openreach have/are a law unto themselves. since when has any council been able to prevent the install of a service that is classed as a Human Right and considered a necessity? if a piece of equipment is at or over it's designed capability, it should be upgraded, surely and i cant see a local council being able to slow that from happening, let alone stopping it. the number of customers/businesses/pieces of equipment affected could easily be in the thousands.

i really am not happy about the info given me today, especially when the reset he did has increased my speed significantly again. sorry, but things just dont ring true to me, especially the 'digital line distance' and the 'extra connections in the cabinet' bit. seem like a good exercise in flannel!

i appreciate Plusnet has tried to help, even though it is a part of BT. i am very grateful, please dont think i am not, but if the info about 'too many customers in the cabinet', wasn't known, it is now and you should be looking at getting BT/Openreach to increasing the available capacity (extra cabinets) without having to make existing customers lose their speed to accommodate extra customers. after all, the extra customers means extra revenue and shouldn't mean a lower quality service for everyone!!

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@prettygrim49 

The county councils were in receipt of taxpayers money (BDUK) to improve vdsl, in my case they failed miserably.

I know not why, maybe they didn't understand the technology, maybe they thought the speed would be sufficient,

and trying to get an answer from them is proving to be very difficult.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @prettygrim49 

I'm sorry to see the engineer was unable to increase your speeds further. From what you've said it does sound like there's cross talk at the cabinet, which is interference from other fibre connections as they're added. It's not always to predict this until an engineer actually goes out to investigate further I'm afraid, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

If you want to query any plans to provide faster fibre speeds with Openreach I'd recommend filling out this formwize: https://www.formwize.openreach.co.uk/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
prettygrim49
Grafter

tnx for reply, Gandalf. i could understand the 'cross talk' but it only seems to be with me. my mate opposite gets no issues and as far as i know, even my next door neighbour doesn't have any issues either. it's the points i made in my last posts that i cant understand. the sudden influx of customers changing from ADSL to VDSL, all within a couple of weeks, the excuse used about the distance from my home to the cabinet magically 'increasing' because of the number of connections on that cable. this is a perfect excuse, really, for a customers speed loss, even though the physical distance is what it has always been, obviously, the new term of 'digital difference' allows for more excuses and less problem solving. and the number of connections being allowed/able to be made in a cabinet that is now reducing speeds for existing customers to cater for more customers to be added and therefore, more money made by ISP/BT etc. that can't be right, surely? and 9 months with no issues (Sept '18-May'19). in 2 years, i have lost over 10mbps in download speed and every time it's been left, never corrected. not good really. i am now waiting until it's down to ADSL speed and with 15mbps as what BT etc can get away with claiming as Broadband Speed (VDSL) and it only being just above ADSL speed, what is the point of VDSL?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @prettygrim49,

I'm sorry that your sync speed has dropped from what it was previously. However as the speed is still above the minimum guaranteed speed for your line we're very limited in terms of what we can do with this. Although the neighbours that you've spoken to haven't noticed any problems with their connections, the crosstalk issue doesn't necessarily affect all of the lines that are connected to the test socket.

In terms of the VDSL speed, this is still significantly higher than the ADSL estimate for your line which is 5.5 - 12.5mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team