cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fibre speeds down and regular DSL line drops

joloco

Hi @Gandalf 

Iam having similar issues, unlimited Fibre broadband drops connection frequently and often runs at a download speed of around 10 - 15 mps , iam unable to do the quiet phone line test as i do not have a landline telephone to plug in. I have gone through troubleshooting via plusnet web advice several times including master socket etc etc, then they take over to watch line for a few days and after a few days passes each time iam told "great news" your line is stable ....but its far from stable as i can see the router light change from blue to orange myself so being told this isnt happening wore me down to the point i learnt to live with the slow intermittent BB. However now i am starting a new job working from home where they require a stable fast BB connection....which i dont have ...they asked me to run a speed test via googles speed test and i havent dared send it as it came out at 10mps and the company require 20mps +. please could you run a test to see if you can see anything obvious or anything else i can do my end to fix. i have also raised a ticket again .

thanks

Jo

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You really need to get a telephone handset and do the basic line test ... really do not know why ISPs do not make having a telephone handset part of the basic T&Cs.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @joloco Welcome firstly to our Community Forums

I'm sorry for the issues you're having with your connection. If you're still having issues, we may need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate, because our tests are showing what's known as a bridge tap which is generally a wiring fault. 

Could you try plugging your router into what's known as the test socket explained Here first though making sure you're not using any extension cabling between the telephone socket and your router.

This should rule out any internal wiring from causing a problem. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
joloco

Hi I tried doing as suggested but signal still dropped and went slow often
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @joloco 

We'd need to arrange an engineer visit to take a closer look at the problem.

Could you reply to the ticket that's raised on your account Here with when you'd be free for a visit?

If you can post back afterwards we'll make sure that's booked for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
joloco

@Townman  I really do not need to go and waste even more money buying a telephone that i wont ever use. Paying for a service that i have never had full use of is enough money wasted. Thankyou for your reply though. Engineer visit is booked to investigate Bridge fault.

Thanks

Jo

Tags (1)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

But you do need it - both the phone and the “phone” line. Without the “phone” line broadband does not work … as you are presently finding out. Without a phone it is much more difficult to diagnose issues and test the correct operation of the “phone” circuit which is essential for the good operation of broadband.

We do though each have choices, some make life easier, some make life harder, some make no differences at all. Let’s hope that the engineer gets a first time fix here of what might be a transient damp joint intermittent issue … which the use of a telephone hand set is the most proficient means of identifying. Line tests are only useful where the fault is always present.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I can fully understand the sentiment of why should I have to go and buy a plug in landline phone.

However, a basic phone is quite cheap. I don't know when I last used the landline to make a call but it is always handy to have it as a backup in case there's an issue with either mobile signal/network or mobile handset. Or vice versa.

joloco

@Gandalf
Hi the ticket has been cancelled, I didn't book engineer because I got a further message off another agent advising I didn't need a engineer ,
....[CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst
4:28pm, Friday 4 Jun 2021....

so tickets now been closed, can you please reopen to allow me to book engineer please

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @joloco, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear your fault ticket has been clsoed due to inactivity. I've looked into this for you and can see there certainly still looks to be something out of place somewhere given the amount of drops that are occurring and I'd advise looking into the new fault ticket I've raised and progressed for you which requires your attention here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id= 215791312
Feel free to give us a nudge on here after replying to the fault ticket and we'll happily look into getting this picked up and progressed further for you.