cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: BT line profile reset?

Boxman101
Grafter

For 5 years now I've been on up to 40mbs fibre with Plusnet connecting wirelessly using the supplied kit and in general any speed test gave a result of around 35 or 6 down and 6-7 up.  Like everyone else I've had an e-mail saying that I would be switched to 55/10 from 1st August.

Since that date, although I've rebooted the router a couple of times by dis and reconnecting after 10 mins or so, according to the BT Wholesale tester as usual I still have a profile of 38.67 down and 20 up (just this minute confirmed with another test).  However since whilst the upload speeds have remained at 6-7, with just a few exceptions when they have been at the expected 36 or so, no matter what time of day the down speeds I have been getting have dropped to an average of just under 20 with some as low as 10.  Checking my potential available speed on the BT site (I am around 200m as the crow flies from the cabinet) I am advised that the max download possible under ideal conditions is 57mbs.

Could someone give some guidance to this simple bus pass holding soul please?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi @Boxman101

I've asked for your post to be split in to it's own thread to not confuse things with the other poster in here, I'll reply again shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 57.9 43.2 15.7 10.4 -- Available -- --

Based on your estimates your line could be connected at a higher rate. However I would definitely advise connecting with a cable and see what speeds you're getting at that point as it's likely the slowdowns are caused by wireless.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Boxman101
Grafter

Thank you for your prompt reply Chris.  Unfortunately due to the layout of the house it is impractical to connect my pc with an ethernet cable.

Forgive me but I can't see why whilst having always connected wirelessly (with a strong signal as metered on my pc) my overall download speeds should have fallen away from the previous consistent 36 or so since the so called change from the 1st August. Coincidence - surely not?  And if changed by Plusnet to 55/10 as advised in the e-mail why no change in my profile according to the BT Tester?

Boxman101
Grafter

If it is of interest, for the last 48 hours my download speeds have returned to the more usual 36 mbs.  I have not done anything here and the BT site still says my sync speeds are 38.86/20