Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random speed drops.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Random speed drops.

Since changing to Fibre Extra I have been experiencing random speed drops. It can be as low as 3 or4 or5 down and other times less than half my usual 72 down, 18 up. Yesterday afternoon it dropped to 26 down and 9 up. The upload speeds drop in unison too.

Re-booting the router always results in an instant return to normal speeds. Initially it was every weekend but is now happening at no specific time or day.

Before changing to 80/20 there were never any such incidents in the 18 months of 40/2 then10.

Could someone from PN make any suggestions.

40 REPLIES 40
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: Random speed drops.

Hello @newagetraveller

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed. I have run a test on your line and it is testing fine at our side. Please could you advise if the speed drops that you are seeing is on a wireless connection or a wired connection.

If it is on a wireless connection, could you please connect a device by Ethernet and run a speed test here. Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
newagetraveller
Pro

I usually use a wireless connecton but on one weekend occasion I checked with a wired connection and the low speeds were the same on that p.c.. A router restart restored them back to normal - both wireless and wired.

I have not "caught it in the act" since by a wired connection. I have just tested via ethernet and wirelesly, both show usual 72 down and 18 up.

It will be fine for a few days then at no particular time or day it happens, then reboot the Hub One.

The Hub One is set to "smart wireless" so surely if there is a problem with one wireless channel it should automatically change to a better one? If it really is "smart?"Roll_eyes

I do have another router which I could try for a few days but I'm not sure if that one is a bit iffy.

Why did this not happen on 40/10? As  said it's only since changing to 80/20.

Oh, and thanks for the quick reply.

newagetraveller
Pro

Happening again right now. 32 down and 13 up. There was a disconnection yesterday, reset router and connected fine.

Speeds are both wired and wireless, something isn't right. Router?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can push this through to our suppliers and investigate further. It's possible it could be the router, do you have another one around you could try?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro

Now connected using another router/modem and the difference was glaringly apparent straight away. Fortunately I do have one.

Speeds increased to 75 down and 19 up, wired and wireless. The wireless signal strength is showing at maximum throughout the house and everything seems so much "snappier." Not counting any chickens yet but my money is on the poxy Hub One being the problem.

andytay
Rising Star

I'm going to try this too i have an old plusnet router i had before i moved here just over 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully this will solve my intermitent speeds.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"Smart Wireless" actually is NOT all that smart. It's not very dynamic: by that I mean that is your neighbour adds a clashing WiFi point, then your router will carry on, until it's time to "hey let's go see how the wireless is doing", which could well be hours later!

newagetraveller
Pro

If my neighbour(s) does/do have a "clashing wifi point", unlikely because I've checked nearby wifi channels using inSSIDer and I'm on a different 2.4 and 5GHz channel to them, it means the Hub One signal is being overwhelmed .

Could also be that the Hub One wireles signal is abysmal - it is, proven by the signal from the router in use. My problem was also evident using a wired connection so the wifi would, in that case have no bearing and be a complete red herring.

The router I am using also has "smart wifi" which, so far seems to be working very well. When BT visited my house, some weeks ago, (poor speeds reported as a fault) he suggested that my Hub One could well be dodgy alhough he did fit a new splitter faceplate to the mastersocket.

PN will never admit it is their supplied equipment that is faulty. It's always BT's fault, the customer's fault, a neighbours wifi etc..

Oh, and when the speeds dropped, my Hub One was telling me differntly, still indicating around 70 down and 19 up. Isn't there another thread about similar problems? Yes, there is, sounds familiar.https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Sudden-change-in-achievable-download-speeds/td-p/15095...

Nomadic1
Dabbler

Hi, I hope I'm not intruding on this topic but I have been experiencing similar problems.

My speeds are usually about 44 down and 6 up but it will often drop below 20 and 2. It is very noticeable because web pages and downloads are extremely slow. It usually happens a couple of times a week.

When this happens other devices are also affected. 

I have tried speedtest.net tests over WIFI and ethernet and when the slowdown happens the speeds are the same over WIFI and Ethernet. When things are working normally my WIFI and ethrnet speeds are about the same.

I haven't had time to investigate lately so I just switch off at the wall socket, wait for ten seconds and power on again. Once the Hub One has rebooted our speeds are back to normal.

newagetraveller
Pro

Nomadic1, that mirrors the issue, described in my original post, I was having for weeks. I never powered the Hub One off but reset it using the button on top of the case. Bingo, an immediate speed re-instate. I also linked to another thread where, what seems to be similar is happening.

It's always the customer's, be it their internal wiring, a neighbour's wifi or BT's fault though. As I previously said, PN will always try to divert the problem elswhere!

e.g.

"Hello @newagetraveller

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed. I have run a test on your line and it is testing fine at our side. Please could you advise if the speed drops that you are seeing is on a wireless connection or a wired connection.

If it is on a wireless connection, could you please connect a device by Ethernet and run a speed test here. Please let us know how you get on."

Nomadic1
Dabbler

Hi newagetraveller, thanks for your input. Our devices normally operate on WIFI, when the slowdown happens I have found that it was on multiple devices. My Android phone and another laptop were also affected.

I have switched my laptop to an ethernet connection and the speeds were as slow as the WIFI connection. I didn't try the BT site and just used the speedtest.net utility.

Next time it happens I'll run the tests on the BT site and follow the procedure. I'll update here in due course.

newagetraveller
Pro

Well, now on the sixth day since using a different router. Speeds have been consistent, wireless and wired, no reductions requiring a Hub One reset. Still at their same levels.

So it looks like it's  a dodgy or generally rubbish Hub One, as reported on other threads highlighting similar issues - BT engineer was probably correct.

It's replacement, a BT Smarthub 6 from eBay!

Anyone from Plusnet care to comment? Doubt it.

andytay
Rising Star

my issue is still happening i should be getting 40mb but now im getting 19.

newagetraveller
Pro

Maybe not the Hub One!Embarrassed

Over the weekend there were some disconnections and now my speeds are 33 down and 13 up. Wired and wireless. Angry