cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random slow page loadings

Highlighted
Grafter

Random slow page loadings

Hi there, for about the last 7 days I've noticed that quite randomly webpages can take longer to display, sometimes giving a brief warning on Chrome about being unable to resolve but then a few seconds later going to the page (Amazon UK being an example). It's very random and probably 85% of the time unnoticeable but sometimes bad for a period of an hour or two then it seems fine again.

I'm on FTTC for about 5 years, always rock solid, the TP Link W9980 modem never drops the connection, it connects successfully and reliably getting about 72mbps/18mbps in speed tests, but when the web page issues crop up the speed tests can be vary all over the place (fluctuating heavily while doing the speed test)

Same results on 3 windows 10 desktops, all hard wired, TP Link W9980 modem is wired direct to VDSL port at master socket (This was a BT installed VDSL / Phone socket back when BT installed fibre).

I get same results by using OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 · 208.67.220.220 on my router. All tests using wired ethernet, this is not a wifi issue and I doubt internal wiring issue as modem straight into VDLS port on master socket.

While not a show stopper, I thought I'd ask if anything could be going on at my exchange or connection to Plusnet. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dabbler

Re: Random slow page loadings

Hi,

I've seen similar/same for some time (and was also have a very slow connection from time to time) see my recent post 'Slow broadband and DNS issues'.

I did some nslookups when having the slow page load/DNS issues reported via browser and could see that there was a timeout occurring when trying to resolve.

I use a standard PlusNet router and have not changed any DNS settings.

I think my situation has improved since the suspicious outage I had for 3 hours in the early hours of Sunday morning, I suspect some work was being done which I've benefited from, but I am still seeing these DNS issues from time to time.

Highlighted
Dabbler

Correction - my outage was early hours of Friday morning 29/5.

Highlighted
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Have had some similar issues myself recently on various devices.

Try cloudfare's 1.1.1.1 DNS server

Also try 'netsh winsock reset' + 'ipconfig /flushdns' on Windows PCs to remove old DNS records and reset the winsock catalogue. Can help in some instances. 

Highlighted
Grafter

Well I tried various things and no real improvement, so I replaced the TP Link modem router (W9980) for a Draytek 2762 and since then (ony 2 days testing mind you) I haven't seen a single page loading delay or error. So I'm hoping it was my old modem router starting to misbehave.... I'll update this thread as things progress.

I got the Draytek from ebay second hand for £50 and it seems to perform slightly better than the TP Link.

Highlighted
Grafter

Hi, yes I tried those things and no change and I saw the same issues on 4 different computers so am sure it's not those... replacement router seems to have resolved it althougn only used the new modem for 2 days so might be a red herring.