cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random internet connection drop outs

alaxton
Grafter

Random internet connection drop outs

All of a sudden over the last week, we have been getting a total loss of service.When i log into the VDSL modem, it shows no sync at all

I power cycle the modem, once, sometimes two or three times until a sync is established

Now when it connects, the connection has been really good, 72 down and 18 up

attached are the line stats from the HG612 3B modem

With the CRC and HEC errors, is there anything obvious wrong with my line? There are no other extensions connected to the master socket.

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Random internet connection drop outs

@alaxton 

Maybe it’s time to try a different modem or combined modem/router depending on your set up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alaxton
Grafter

HI, can you recommend an alternative VDSL2 modem that's suitable for a Huawei cabinet?

I was using a Netgear DM200 modem previously, however not only does it sync at a lower rate, our overall connection speed was slower too

Since changing to the HG612 we have been getting a solid 72 down and 18 up, a speed we have never seen with the DM200, typically with the DM200, we get 64/15

Even when Openreach came and fixed an external issue with our line, even with it syncing at 70, we still only got 62-64 down

Some say using a Billion 8800NL R2 as a modem could be a good alternative?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @alaxton 

I've been looking into this for you and line tests aren't showing any issues but we can see your connection's dropping occasionally as pictured below 

Do you have the Hub One we've sent you still you can try and rule out an issue with your own equipment?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

Hi,

So i have setup the One Router from Plusnet

It's never been used since we have had our service and we had 10mb ADSL2 first and then FTTC as of Jan 2019

I've been using a Netgear DM200 modem from the beginning and switched to the HG612 recently to improve our connection of which it has done.

A speedtest with the One Router shows 65/66 down and 18/19 up, where as the HG612 shows 70/72 down and 18 up

My internet connection has dropped again already, but now you can see it with the one router

by the way, as it's new if there is a newer firmware, you might want to push it to it

PS i hope this router has a good firewall as the log of attempts on it is ever growing now i am back online.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @alaxton 

Which firmware version is the router currently on? It should automatically update to the latest.

Having looked through the diagnostics again our end, I can't figure out what's causing this so it may be worth going back down the path of another engineer visit to investigate further by raising a fault at faults.plus.net

If you can post back once you've raised the fault ticket we'll be happy to make sure that's picked up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

Hi,

Looks like the router has updated, however despite it saying NTP was successful, it's still showing its clock as one hour behind

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

I have left the Plusnet router connected for the moment to continue to monitor the internet connection and will see if it drops again.

It would seem plenty of people are trying to remotely access the router according to the firewall log.

I will give it until the end of tomorrow to see if the connection drops again, if you are able to check and post here Monday morning and see if we get any more disconnects from this point forward. If not then i will put it down to the HG612 modem and will source an alternative VDSL modem suitable for FTTC and the Huawei cabinet im connected to.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@alaxton wrote:

Looks like the router has updated, however despite it saying NTP was successful, it's still showing its clock as one hour behind

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

Not confident that the firmware's the cause for the issue with your connection but the latest firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. I've given the link between the router and our hardware management system a kick, if you can do a factory reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset pin hole for 20 seconds you should see the firmware update within 24 hours.

With regards to the router clock showing an hour behind, as far as I'm aware this is an acknowledged issue and that's fixed in a more recent firmware version we've not yet deployed to everybody. If our products guru @bobpullen is around and free he may be able to update your router onto this newer version early.

I will give it until the end of tomorrow to see if the connection drops again, if you are able to check and post here Monday morning and see if we get any more disconnects from this point forward.

If not then i will put it down to the HG612 modem and will source an alternative VDSL modem suitable for FTTC and the Huawei cabinet im connected to.

I'm not in the office on Monday or Tuesday I'm afraid but I am back Wednesday. If you post back though one of my colleagues should be able to pick this up in my absence. 

Having said that you'll be able to see the disconnects (and more reliably I might add) by going to the Event Log on the Hub One. I say more reliably, because for a fibre connection our 'radius' server doesn't always pick up every single drop. Some drops we refer to as micro-drops where we can't see but a router's log can. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

Hi,

Well we lost out connection again, however this time rebooting the router did not immediately fix it

We don't use the line for calls, but i connected a phone and there was a clean dial tone and i even called my mobile without any issue.

I don't believe it to be hardware related now that we are using the Plusnet Router for the first time

I will raise a fault ticket a direct them to this forum post

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hello, no problem, if you can post back once you've raised the ticket I'll make sure we pick it up as soon as we can

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

Hi, I went through the broadband troubleshooter and it said it has raised a ticket

Just so you know, even with no sync whatsoever on the line, voice was clear and worked with no issue, i called my mobile as a test. But we do not have a phone connected to the line all of the time. Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the testing @alaxton 

I've just added a reply to the fault ticket ref 214354805 now, if you can log into your account and let reply to it then post back to let me know I'll be happy to pick it back up

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

Hi,

So i am 50/50 on cancelling the Openreach engineer as i think this might be difficult to establish where the fault it. If we needed the master socket replacing due to it being an internal wiring fault (installed by contractors when our house was built), does that make the visit chargable?

We have an uptime of 12 hours on the router, so at some point late last night or early hours this morning the connection reset

What should i do?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @alaxton 

To rule out an internal wiring fault I'd recommend plugging your router into the test socket behind the faceplate of the master phone socket explained Here. If you do this and you're still having issues and the engineer renews the master socket we shouldn't be charging you for the visit as you would've already done what you could to rule out a wiring issue. 

It's difficult to say what the engineer will find or if they won't be able to find a fault at all. If your master socket is old they'll generally modernise it with an Openreach 5C one for quality purposes. 

There's a risk of the engineer not finding a fault at all which may incur a call out fee though. Generally speaking Openreach would deem an intermittent connection to be 3 drops within 24 hours or 6 drops within 72 hours, so if you experience more than that then we wouldn't charge you a callout fee if an engineer finds no fault. 

Here though, it looks like the drops a lot fewer so there's that risk but then again the engineer may end up finding something wrong that'll resolve the issue. Appreciate its a tough call to make. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
alaxton
Grafter

HI,

The socket is already the 5C version. I can try the test socket, as its a pre-filtered face plate, i take it VDSL2 do not require a filter for the socket?

I'll have to source a cable as i need a different end to use in the test socket compared to my existing one.