Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random high latency

IronBelly
Hooked

Random high latency

Hi Guys,

This has been going on for a few weeks and affects my online gaming. My ping to the game server is usually 20-30ms. But every 3-4 seconds I have a ping that takes 120-150ms. Obviously this makes it impossible to play any games. I called the support line, they did a line test and said they found no issues. So further information:

- My up and down speeds are as expected

- I have no ADSL or Wifi dropouts

- I have tried with wireless/wired connections and with multiple PCs, with multiple cables with the same results

- Internal pings have no high latency and are consistent

- I have rebooted the router

- I have a new router on order and will update once it arrives

- It appears to only happen at peak times. I have been running a ping today and the high latency isn't occurring.

It seems to me as if it's a contentions/load problem as it is occuring in the evenings but not during the day.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Lloyd

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Random high latency

Sorry to hear you're having latency issues.

We've tested your line and we can't see any causes for this

Are you able to provide traceroutes or pathpings showing the high latency so we can advise further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
IronBelly
Hooked

Hi Matthew,

I don't have them on me. I will do so tonight when I get home and post them here.

IronBelly
Hooked

Hi @MatthewWheeler I received and installed the new router last night. The latency issue seemed to be resolved throughout the evening and it seemingly improved immediately after installing the new one. So at this point I would say it's looking resolved.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @IronBelly,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that the new router looks to have resolved the latency issue. Please let us know if you experience any further connection problems or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team