cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random drop outs.

Florian7
Dabbler

Random drop outs.

It's been a month now since I upgraded to a Fibre broadband and it's starting to become rather annoying when these drops happen ranging from a few times here and there to more regular occurrences within 1-3 hours. It ruins my mood a fair bit feeling like I have to constantly look at my router every time I'm using the internet and then having to wait for the blue light to come back on, hoping it'll stay that way.

I'm not a technical person, by any means, so I have very little understanding of this and with my mental health I don't feel exactly great about it. Before the upgrade to a faster internet, everything was fine, there was maybe one or two drops throughout the year, now it's more of a constant issue. My router would start by turning orange before blinking, sometimes repeat, then be back to blue and everything is working fine once again. I'd like to imagine that it can't be something on my end since whenever I log into my account on the Plusnet website, I have an error space on the page telling me that my change is still in 'process' and my billing charge hasn't changed also.

So I'm honestly confused as to what is happening here.

39 REPLIES 39
Florian7
Dabbler

Re: Random drop outs.

Still happening.

I can't deal with this for much longer already if this keeps up.

CRudd00

I have exactly the same issue. It just drops out for no reason.

Router light goes orange and then I have to wait a minute or 2 for the router to have the blue light come back on.

I don't need to reset the router or turn it off and on, it just resets itself and I can carry on.

Sometimes it can go for weeks without doing it and other times it will do it 2 or 3 times in a day. It's never at the same time so it can't be something specific causing it.

Annoying as, especially when I'm in the middle of something for work

bigchrisrogers
Hooked

I get the same, been happenng for weeks now.  Originally once every few days, but now getting worse, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day, just a few minutes at a time. Sometime during a video conference or teams meeting which is even worse.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Florian7

I am sincerely sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your connection and for the undue stress this has caused.

Our tests are flagging up a potential external issue, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @bigchrisrogers and @CRudd00

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your connection. I have checked your connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see more drops in connection than we would like. Although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here:https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
bigchrisrogers
Hooked

Thanks SammyM.  I have just reported the issue at the link you gave me and been through the questionnaire.  Hopefull I can get this fixed soon.

Chris

bigchrisrogers
Hooked

Well I've reported the issue, it is being investigated.  Since then I've had 17 notifications saying "Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review." but lost the internet for 5 minutes again, twice in close succession, this afternoon.  I'm thinking of buying another modem off e-bay as, strangley, I'm thinking that may be the issue.  Even if it's not, it is about the only thing left that I think I can do, apart from trying a different supplier.

Florian7
Dabbler

@SammyM 

Alright, I've reported the problem, now it's just a matter of waiting.

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi @Florian7! On the fault you raised, you specified that there is no dial tone when you pick up your telephone, but our testing shows no issue with your landline. Are you able to confirm whether you've completed the internal checks here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 as we can't see any reason you wouldn't have a dial tone due to a line fault.

In regards to the account issues you mentioned when logging in, it looks like the order got stuck in the system on our side so wasn't reflecting correctly, I've fixed this for you now. Could you log in and let us know if you are still seeing those messages? 

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Florian7
Dabbler

When I go to pick up the phone there's no sound coming from it. I can get it to rink when calling from my mobile to make sure it works fine, but other than that, like I said, no sound when simply picking it up.

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming this @Florian7, have you had a dial tone with this handset in the past?

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Florian7
Dabbler

No. I just recently got myself a handset for the sole purpose so that I could do the questionnaire in order to report the issue properly.

But as I explained on the first post, this dropping out issue started only after I upgraded to a faster internet package, that one year I was with plustnet had virtually no problems at all. That's what I'm finding so strange about this, why it's suddenly a problem now.

Buttercup
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming once again @Florian7, I've updated the ticket on your account if you're able to login and respond that would be fantastic, hopefully we can then get this sorted for you.

Jess Moore
 Plusnet Help Team
Florian7
Dabbler

I am able to log in and yes, the error message is gone and all seems in order now.

So far, the last drop I had was yesterday late night (10-11pm), so today things are fine but still too early to tell. If there aren't any drops again in the next couple of days to a week, that could mean it's fixed. So fingers crossed.