cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

Well this fault has been logged anyway and will see what support says, but if I don't see any improvements in the next week then I will having a visit from an Openreach engineer as my connection has been impacted by something outside of my control and within theres.
While you and other customers may be happy to work within these b***ox guidelines and little statements about performance figures and percentages I am not.
and Yes Melancholie I have just give the modem a 5 minute break.
AndyH
Grafter

Not quite sure how you will get an Openreach engineer when Plusnet cannot book one!
If your IP Profile has risen, than indicates your sync speed has risen. Remember the rate adaptive side has nothing to do with DLM - if your line is banded and you're not synced at the top of the band, then DLM cannot be blamed.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm sad to say but you wont get any where with support they wont send an enginner out for you they will simply tell you you are within your estimate and nothing is wrong and leave it at that, trust me i have been done this road with Plusnet Andy H will tell you that lol.
AndyH
Grafter

@ Terranova667 - But there is a misconception for how DLM actually works. Say you're synced at 58Mbps, but on a 0.128-65Mbps downstream band. It is not DLM that is limiting your line to 58Mbps, but the line is syncing to meet the target snr of 6dB. So changing the downstream band to 0.128-80Mbps would make no difference. If you were at the top of the banded profile, then it probably would make a difference if the banding was removed though.
Edit: I should add that DLM was changed towards the end of last year, so it now introduces interleaving and re-transmission before banding a line. In the vast majority of cases, lines will not need to be banded and should always be on the 0.128-80Mbps profile.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Sadly I was banded before the changes came in and such stuck on the old way and of course can't get a reset, i would much prefer a little interleaving over being banded, personally BTO should reset those stuck on the old system but of course they wont.
AndyH
Grafter

Ask them to do a line check. Unless you're syncing at the top of your band, it doesn't make any difference if DLM is reset for you (other than if interleaving is on).
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Terranova
Currently my I'm receiving less than my estimate so I assume this means an Openreach visit should be considered at least after waiting to see if the line picks up again.
mlmclaren
Grafter

I've just resolved a fault!by Openreach upon installation
I was hearing an elctrical buzz on my line so started doing some troubleshooting and when testing from test socket it was gone, the ring wire (orange) for my extensions had been punched into the IDC by Openreach upon installation of the master socket, I think this might of been causing the interference but for now I have disconnected all the extension sockets until further notice.
This ha stopped the buzzing and the line is completely silent now, but my connection speeds have only declined further, I have tried using the RJ11 to RJ11 cable that was supplied with the modem as I was using a cat5e cable to improve performance  Grin
This only reduced the speed further so back to cat5e and it went back up to sycning at 56000kbps but not as high as before removing the extension sockets and also nowhere near the 62000kbps of last week.
I will keep an eye on it and see if the DLM see's any reason to improve or further ruin my connection.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Just noticed this: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=137793.0;num_replies=6
So sounds like I'm not alone and that there actually is a fault!
Melancholie
Grafter

Unless they are all in your area connected to the same cable bundles as you and on the same cabinets there's no common point of failure.
The cabinets each run their own DLM, the system is not centralised.
The only thing they have in common is the software and hardware and if that were faulty it'd be affecting every customer running on those software and hardware revisions and the forum would be awash with complaints. Given Plusnet's VDSL customer base it is not.
mlmclaren
Grafter

well what if a handful of customers profiles started receiving rogue configurations or something silly like that....
It seems that all these issues started for me when my line profile was changed from 78Mbps to 55Mbps!
Melancholie
Grafter

Your IP profile and in turn Plusnet line speed changed because of a change in VDSL sync.
Plusnet have no control at all over the speed your modem connects to the DSLAM at.
The DSLAM has no visibility of the profile Plusnet have on their traffic management system - the only communication between them is from DSLAM to Plusnet only and goes via BT Wholesale.
The change in profile did not increase your latency, interleave being applied by DLM did. This was applied due to the error rate on your line. The line is running as quickly as it can according to the line stats provided, it has a 6.1dB SNR margin, the target is 6.
The 78Mb on Plusnet's system isn't a configuration, this was just a 'default' while the system was waiting for an update from BT. It has no impact on anything beyond download speeds.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Melancholie...
I IP profile that I am talking about is the one held by BT Wholesale/Openreach, That is the one that has changed not the Plusnet one,
My sync rate has increased, but the DSLAM seems to be restricting me to a lower rate... I don't know why it is but & I'm sure you won't either.
Yes your right Interleaving was enabled on my line but my error rate where not that bad in the first place and I must point out that currently Plusnet cannot see that Interleaving has been enabled and their systems show that it is disabled so something isn't in sync correctly there!!!
My modem shows that Interleaving has been enabled on both downstream & upstream and this has had a knock on affect with my online gaming making shooters unplayable, I'm also having issues loading web pages successfully and having to refresh pages to fetch full webpage so Interleaving seems to be doing a great job so far !!!!
I think that you see me going on to Plusnet about these issues but in fact they are with BT Wholesale/Openreach's systems..
However I can't speak to Openreach because.... well.... they seem to have some sort of celebrity status!
and now as the days pass the connection seems to be getting worse with what speeds I still have being very inconsistent and unstable...
So to recap, my download is now missing 5-6mbps (yesterday 3-4mbps) and my upload is now varying between 10-18 (yesterday 12-18) and my latency is still interleaved and showing results 16ms higher than just the other day...
Obviously neither us or Plusnet know what is going on and they are just spieling of the usual cross-talk rubbish....
if attitudes don't change, then I will be seeking some legal advice as i have been miss old a service agreement and the operator is not even trying to rectify the issues beyond doing an automated test!
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: mlmclaren
Melancholie...
I IP profile that I am talking about is the one held by BT Wholesale/Openreach, That is the one that has changed not the Plusnet one,
My sync rate has increased, but the DSLAM seems to be restricting me to a lower rate... I don't know why it is but & I'm sure you won't either.
So to recap, my download is now missing 5-6mbps (yesterday 3-4mbps) and my upload is now varying between 10-18 (yesterday 12-18) and my latency is still interleaved and showing results 16ms higher than just the other day...
Obviously neither us or Plusnet know what is going on and they are just spieling of the usual cross-talk rubbish....
if attitudes don't change, then I will be seeking some legal advice as i have been miss old a service agreement and the operator is not even trying to rectify the issues beyond doing an automated test!

In answer to your first paragraph, Openreach don't hold an IP profile, that's BT Wholesale, and they get it from the sync rate of your modem with the DSLAM. Cause and effect go one way only in that deal.
I actually can answer your second point - the HG612 is mis-reporting the attainable rate. Your sync rate has not increased, what the modem is reporting as your attainable rate has increased, and is wrong. Your modem at your last stats copy showed an SNR margin of 6.1dB indicating it was connecting at near maximum possible. The DSLAM is not limiting you beyond in the same way it does most others, you are not banded and are not on a restricted profile, your service is rate adaptive.
Interleave and latency in general do not form a part of any agreement you may have with the ISP.
Openreach will not raise a fault for a loss of 5-6Mb under normal circumstances unless it's a large proportion of the original connection speed.
Openreach will generally not raise a fault for interleave being placed on a line.
To save you some legal fees check the following links on the Plusnet website for some advice on what to do next as it does give a path to take, but do be aware that latency does not form part of the agreement, only speed.
https://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#fibre
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed-check-estimates.shtml
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
Interleave and latency in general do not form a part of any agreement you may have with the ISP.
Openreach will not raise a fault for a loss of 5-6Mb under normal circumstances unless it's a large proportion of the original connection speed.
Openreach will generally not raise a fault for interleave being placed on a line.
To save you some legal fees check the following links on the Plusnet website for some advice on what to do next as it does give a path to take, but do be aware that latency does not form part of the agreement, only speed.
https://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#fibre
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed-check-estimates.shtml

Maybe latency isn't something that included in the terms of agreement but it is certainly an aspect of the service that the who usability relies upon, and currently I've got issues due to latency and also not receiving the speed that I was told I would get upon agreeing to the terms of service on sign up!
So if I'm having issues using my connection the provider should be trying to resolve these issues and as part of that would be send an engineer to troubleshoot the connection and try and resolve the issues on failing that they have terminate their agreement as the service ins't as agreed upon...
Also just because latency guarantee's aren't in the terms and conditions, it doesn't mean they can disregard any issues related to it.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end