Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

OK, Ticket number is #101052578
So how long "usually" does it take for DLM to correct issues or change profiles based on it "thinking" theirs an issue & can it not be reset to retrain ?
PS, Regarding the speed issues, I have attached a screenshot from the modem and will also provide some speediest results past and present also!
Before 16/3/15: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4190622852
On 16/3/15: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4220207366
Now 17/3/15: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4220337063
Screenshot Shows that the line can acheive 10000+kbps than it currently is and that upstream is synced at its maximum rate with headroom yet it vary between 11 -18mbps.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Also just compared a screenshot of my DSL Stats from the 4th March and that show that my attainables have increased and that my SNR on upstream has decreased... I have attached that also!
mlmclaren
Grafter

PS. this latency increase has affected my online gaming and pings to the BBC have also tripled and pings to certain server have increased from 11ms to 50ms!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Done a bit more digging and now pulled more detailed stats from my modem, have attached graphs..
interleaving has been activated on both upstream and downstream, G.INP hasd not been activated on the line either.
mlmclaren
Grafter

You might want to check your checking the right line as my line has had it IP Profile lowerd to 55mb instead of it being on the higher one you mentioned yesterday and interleaving has been activated when you said it hadn't....
Can you reset my lines profile now please!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As I inferred in my PM the line can't be reset without an Openreach engineer going to the cab
mlmclaren
Grafter

Well then I suggest that we arrange a BTO Engineer to visit then.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi,
Sorry I haven't replied to your PMs yet. I don't normally check them unless I've requested that someone PM me.
Thanks for opening the fault ticket, we'll get that picked up asap and tested. If the line is connecting below your estimates then we can get this pushed through. I've got to advise though that if your line is connecting within the estimates it's likely the fault will get rejected when we try to raise it as the line is performing within expectations.
It's also worth noting that even if an engineer does attend there is no guarantee that they will reset the line, they will only do this when they've applied corrective measures to fix a fault they've identified and fixed.
I really hope you don't mind me being blunt, but a ping of 28ms is not going to cause any issues with games. I game a lot online and my lowest ping is 42ms. Although you may have seen ping times increase, this is still a very acceptable ping to have.
DLM on Fibre can take days or weeks to change certain line parameters, it's based on the logic built in to the system and is designed for stablity.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
AndyH
Grafter

Resetting the line is not a solution as you'll be in the same situation several days later.
mlmclaren
Grafter

My issues are I use gaming servers in Europe and they where already close to bad ping but now this increased has pushed it over the limit.....
Also you can see there is a fault on the line, and the connection needs to returned to its previous state, how this is done I do not care but I see it fit that it is done..
I appreciate that many other customers are/would be happy with what I have but I'm not them and the fact is that I switched for better, not for worse.... and the case is that that customer may be on a 50 year old pair of cables, where i am not... I've been assure that by Openreach engineers who have confirmed what i already knew which is that the BT/Openreach network in my area is actually very new compared t most the UK and my line in particular is brand new all the way to the cab... I knwo because it took the phone engineer hours to connected all the new pairs up in the ground chambers all the way tom the cab.
Currently I'm missing 10000kbps from my downstream sync that the modem can see is there but my IP profile will not let me have.... My line is also being held back by Interleaving...  I want this removed!
@AndyH Why do you say it will return to how it is now? , there wasn't any issues to begin with... at least not issues that concern DLM and more issues that "should concern" plusnet's network teams
AndyH
Grafter

For whatever reason, there have been errors on your line that have caused DLM to intervene. Unless you've seen something specific like noise on the line or static, it will be unlikely someone will be able to specifically tell you why there are errors.
When DLM is reset, it puts your line back on an open profile for two days and your modem will try and sync as fast as it can physically go (VDSL is also rate adaptive). It's highly likely that if you're continuing to see errors on your line now, then you'll see them again when your line is reset and syncs at a faster speed. Only around 40% of lines remain at the original first sync speed, which is why estimates are provided.
If you can access your line stats, then the two things to look for are ES and SES. DLM uses these to determine when to intervene and how to intervene. As Chris said, it prefers stability over performance.
If your line remains stable, then DLM will begin to remove or lower interleaving first. The length of time this takes will depend on how many times DLM has had to intervene already and whether your line is still showing errors above a certain threshold (a line with errors does not necessarily mean there is a physical problem with it).
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Andy
i agree with what you mentioned but must mention that the reason DLM has intervened is because I have to keep resetting the modem due to Plusnet Gateway issues! which if you scroll to the top of this post you will see mentioned when it was opened.
I now know that in future I cannot reset the modem and will just bi**h at Plusnet when their gateways are acting up instead of jumping to another, but until then my line needs resetting so that it can prove its up to the job of providing a very good connection.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: mlmclaren
Currently I'm missing 10000kbps from my downstream sync that the modem can see is there but my IP profile will not let me have.... My line is also being held back by Interleaving...  I want this removed!

IP profile doesn't affect downstream sync, and the Huawei modem's attainable numbers are misleading when interleave is in place. It includes some overheads in the attainable rate but not in the current sync.
Your line is running as high as it can pretty much - the target SNR margin is 6.0dB and your line is running at 6.1dB. There is essentially no room for it to go any faster.
As the cables that VDSL runs on are not shielded it's possible for various noise to reduce sync rate, including signal leaking from other people's lines. This is normal and is why VDSL is rate adaptive. The sync rate can change to take account of changing line conditions, and interleaving can come into play to reduce error rates.
As Andy mentioned assuming the line is no longer experiencing errors DLM will automatically reset itself.
It is not possible for an ISP to raise a fault call to ask for a DLM reset.
mlmclaren
Grafter

I've lost speed, my latency has increase.... my line profile has subsequently been reduced ... so it needs resetting.... there is no reason for this to be an issue and can assure you that a rate limit has been ou tin place somewhere...
I've already been told on the phone that Interleaving is not showing as on at Plusnet's end yet it is so something is wrong somewhere and if Plusnet can't fix it then Openreach better get round here and fix it instead.... clearly that is what I'm asking....
FIx my broadband please! Plusnet!!!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Profile update request

Hi Matthew
I have just had a look and the profile is the issue by the looks of things as it has reduced and so has my line rate, where it used to max out, can you set my line profile 70/78mbps so we can be sure that this isn't the issue.