Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

Glad I'm not alone with this one then!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Internet has gone to s*** again... any idea's ?
BQM Below!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That looks like the minimum latency has increased which would normally suggest that something has changed with the line, possibly interleaving (error correction) being added.
I'm just going to run a quick line test to have a look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Please ignore, wrong line tested!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Chris
My lines minimum latency increased by more than 2x its usual early hours, not sure why also my attainable sync has gone up while it seems my actual sync has been limited!
I will create the ticket now!
mlmclaren
Grafter

Would I be correct in assuming I cannot have DLM turned off on this connection then?
I bet this has happened because of the few reboots I have done in the last few days to jump gateways due to issues with certain gateways..
Chris
Legend

Ah wait, I think your forum login is associated with a different account to the one you're discussing!
Let me go check the *right* line now.
Chris
Legend

Your line isn't showing any issues. Your line is syncing at 57.2, which whilst at the low end of the estimates is still within the range we'd expect for your line.
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 57.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

What kind of latency are you seeing now?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Chris
While I appreciate the line is still within the estimates I was syncing at 60mbps yesterday and then at just after 2am something changed!
I have included a snapshot of my BQM and it clearly shows the "jump" in latency, my last ping on that graph is 27ms where it is usually 11-13ms!
Best Regards.
mlmclaren
Grafter

So what is going to be done about the issue I'm facing, my latency is still higher than it should be, have you confirmed whether Interleaving has been activated or not and when will this be reduced back to fast path!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your line doesn't have interleaving on at the moment.
Chris posted your profile earlier which confirms this
"0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"
If there was interleaving applied this would show as error protection on.
At present Openreach are trialling G.INP on some lines and I suspect that may be what's happening here but I can't confirm.
There isn't anything we can do I'm afraid. Aside from the graph is the increase in latency actually causing any issues?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mlmclaren
Grafter

Seriously!  Shocked
Yes of course its causing issues! My latency has increased & my bandwidth has decreased!
Also I didn't sign up to a trial of G.INP and sure it's not in my terms of contract...
Surely you need the "End User" to accept that Openreach may mess their connection up!
Saying theirs nothing you can do is quite a bit sh**!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We can see the latency has gone up however 27ms is hardly catastrophic and there's quite a few people on here who would be more then happy with that.
Again I wouldn't class a ping time of 27ms as messing a connection up and aside from your ping graph is it actually causing you any issues?
There is nothing any ISP can do to control ping times on Fibre I'm afraid nor do we set out any sort of guaranteed ping times during sign up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mlmclaren
Grafter

Latency doesn't just one day jump from 11 to 27ms, Although "you" might no think it is catastrophic I however do and I am not one of those few people.
I would accept it if there was good reason for the increase but their isn't, my line is "Brand NEW" all the way to the cabinets, newly installed in the ground, I was told that the connection state after 10 days is what I would get from day 11, so that is what I expect.
Theirs is obviously a fault that needs resolving but you don't seem to fussed about solving it.
Their must be something the ISP can do to control the "ping times" on a user connection.
Also don't stray from the fact that my bandwidth has also been reduced and is now below the the level I was told to expect and what is listed on the BT Wholesale checker.
My modem is able to achieve speeds higher than what is currently being assigned by my line profile so something needs to be looked at or reset...
Chris
Legend

If your line is connecting below the estimates then we can look into this as a fault, just go through https://faults.plus.net to report it in to us. As Matt says though, we can't make guarantees on ping/latency as the DLM equipment is constantly monitoring the line and will make changes based on the line conditions it sees.