cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

thesawdust
Grafter

Re: Random Ping Spikes on BQM's

some gateways are known to cause this also during peak times. You've got to find a good gateway, my latency below is me streaming BT Sports too 12ms
You are currently connected to gateway ptn-ag03.
Also, do a quiet line test. 17070 and choose option 2 see if it's got any crackling/popping
mlmclaren
Grafter

mine normally looks identical to yours
I assume by the gateway you mean this: link-b-central10.ptn-ag01.plus.net [212.159.2.131]
PS. Line is perfect, actually a newly linked pair to the cab!
thesawdust
Grafter

you can find out gateway here: http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Also, any chance of using the PlusNET router to see if it makes any changes?  Shocked
mlmclaren
Grafter

Nope, I never chose to get a plusnet router, waste of £5.99
ptn-ag01.
thesawdust
Grafter

when was the last time the OR router was restarted?
Do you have any other Fibre enabled routers to test?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Thanks for your help, Just rebooted the OR Modem again and now on pcl-bng04. and that seems to have solved the problem, I had no idea that the gateways changed when rebooting....
I'm new to VDSL (2-3 weeks) and came across from terribly congested Virgin Media.. SO sort of had a mini heart attack when I saw congestion like issues on my connection!
So I think its safe to say that pcl-bng01 is currently over congested or suffering some issues anyway!
thesawdust
Grafter

try not to reboot both OR modem and router, you never know when it can pop up again.
Just keep an eye on things, has speed returned to normal?
mlmclaren
Grafter

OK, Thanks, I will do,
It seems like it has, Yes
dragon2611
Grafter

I have a spike but I think it's because i'm using the upload, even if i'm not uploading at my maximum speed I notice even 25% upstream utilisation seems to affect the graphs somewhat.
thesawdust
Grafter

I've got packet loss on my graph, yet i've had no packet loss for past 4 hours. Seem's very odd
mlmclaren
Grafter

I had to change gateway again, i'm on pcl-ag05 now and it seems to have brought my ping back in line, started seeing some issues again...
these must be the routing issues everybody is always yapping about around the various forums then... I hope it don't continue or I will be demanding my contract scrapped and migrating elsewhere, I moved to Plusnet to get away from routing and congestion issues of Virgin's "network", I didn't put up with it from them and I definitely won't put up with it from anyone else.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

There are no issues on any of the gateways that we're aware of. Interesting that you had a better connection on the previous one though. For that reason, I'd suggest you drop the connection until you get connected via one you are comfortable with.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Tony
Any chance of finding out what the spikes on my BQM are all about, seems a bit weird that they have all of a sudden started appearing!
AFAIK my connection stats are as they where on day 1, no changes to sync speed or issues apart from these ones now!
You can see my live BQM below in my signature!
Best Regards
mlmclaren
Grafter

UPDATE: 23:14
As can be seen on my linked "live" BQM below, the spikes in latency stopped shortly after 22:00...
Any idea's to what this issue is and how it is fixed?
g3uiss
Grafter

Just to say, I'm having exactly the same issues on both a FTTC line and an ADSL2+. Some Gateways are better, but then it changes again