Did you mean: 

Random Line Drop Outs

FIXED
DomG
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Random Line Drop Outs

Hi

As title says, Broadband keeps dropping out sometimes up to 5 times a day.

Seems i'm not the only one, reading through some of the forum posts

The router status light will change from Blue to Orange, then back to Blue when the connection is restored.

It seems to happen mostly in the mornings between 8:30 - 11.00 am, but now and again in the evenings

I have noticed this more in the last 4 weeks due to working from home.

On Sunday 19/04 it dropped out about 7 times between 10:30 and 11:30 am. 

The router logs show reboots but they don't seem to coincide with the dropouts.

I work in IT support and trying to assist someone remotely when the connection drops is a bit of PITA

Strange enough my connection has been fine today (21/04/20).

10 REPLIES 10
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Random Line Drop Outs

Hi @DomG

Thank you for your query, I am sorry to hear of the problems with your broadband.

Having checked over the connection today, I can see that there are a number of drops in the connection daily. Upon testing, the interference seems to be with the home environment.

We'd be happy to raise this to our suppliers following some checks being completed from your side to rule out the cause being internal as, if an engineer does attend and confirms the fault is internal,, you would be charged for the appointment.

If you could run through our troubleshooting steps here and getting your router connected into the test socket for the time being as shown here. If the issues then persist, please log a fault with us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
Cleo
Dabbler

We have raised this issue on several occasions, it appears there are a lot of complaints regarding this issue!

so in essence it is NOT our line or anything else! It’s Plusnet! 

We have tried everything you have suggested, changing channels and frequencies.
The problem has still not been resolved, at least 3 time’s every evening, between the hours of 5:30pm and 10:30 pm our internet drops, and the WiFi cuts out!
We cannot accept this, this has been going on since day one of joining you. 3 months ago!. 
Therefore we are not receiving the service that we are paying for!

I have no other alternative but to move to a more stable provider were we will NOT constantly loosing connection!.

I do not to expect to be charged for leaving, as you failed to provide the service I am paying for!.

DomG
Hooked

Hi Katie

Thanks for replying,

Just read through the troubleshooting. 

However our master socket is one of the newer VDSL NTE5C with all the filtering built in (See attached image) The Router is plugged into vdsl socket at the top of the master socket. I don't have any other internal wiring from the master socket. 

I have also noticed the connections on the telegraph pole outside our house are open to the elements (See second attached Image). This could have a bearing on the problem.

fttc-faceplate.jpgTPolecon.jpg

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@DomG 

The point of plugging a filter in to the test socket is not only to remove internal wiring but also try a different filter.

If you’re happy that you’ve eliminated any probability that it’s an internal problem you need to report a fault using the link provided.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DomG
Hooked

Thanks for the reply @Baldrick1 

As suggested I will try a separate filter in the test socket for a couple of days, See how things go.

I must say It has been better over the last 24 Hours. Only 2 dropouts.

If the problems continue, I will report as a fault

Baldrick1

It’s worth trying the filter to reduce the probability that you won’t end up with a bill but the horrendous pictures of the junction box must be the top suspect. It looks like some polythene has been wrapped around it but has blown out.

Your better connection over the last few days could be down to the better weather. Something to consider if it gets bad again.

Moderator and Customer

Cleo
Dabbler

I have no idea as to what you are relating to!

i have not posted any pics of any boxes nor plastics surrounding anything!

i think you are responding to a different topic, surely?  

Baldrick1

@Cleo 

No, I am replying to the originator of this topic, not your intervention.

Moderator and Customer

DomG
Hooked

Just an update to this thread, I have the router plugged in to the test socket via micro filter for the last 2 weeks, Still experiencing dropouts, I have now raised a fault call with Plusnet

DomG
Hooked

Fix

Hi, Sorry not updated in a while. Just to draw a conclusion to this thread, The issue has now been resolved. Plusnet were were quick to respond and sent a Openreach engineer. The engineer rewired the connections on the pole also he detected and repaired a line fault further down at the street cabinet. Since the repairs my broadband has not dropped connection at all.