Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Disconnections and Reduced Speed

Red_devil
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Random Disconnections and Reduced Speed

For many months following the 2nd engineer visit due to my problems last Spring our broadband was great - rock solid at 80 download and 20 up.

In the last month or so it has become very flakey with lots of random dropouts making my partners working from home increasingly frustrating.

We're currently connected at 55 download and a meagre 1.295 upstream.

I did notice a couple of Openreach vans at the cabinets the other day but nothing has improved since.

I'd be grateful if someone could take a look as the dropouts, in particular, are causing real problems.

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Random Disconnections and Reduced Speed

Thanks for your post @Red_devil 

I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. Line tests are showing a high resistance fault and I can see your connection's dropping regularly, so we'd likely need to arrange another engineer visit to investigate further.

To confirm though have you tried plugging your router into the test socket explained Here to rule out internal wiring?

Also do you have another router you can try? The one we've sent you is a good few years old. While that doesn't mean it's developed a fault, it's a good idea to rule everything internal out before we go for book another engineer.

I'm happy to send you a new router free of charge if you'd want, assuming you're using ours and not your own?

If you've gone through all that and you're still having issues, I'd recommend raising a fault ticket at faults.plus.net. If you can post back afterwards too, we'll be happy to make sure that's picked up as soon as we can.

I've also included our testing below showing the fault if you're interested:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 52.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 377.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 11:45 to 12:00
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 10
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2021-05-14T19:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 43.1 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 56.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 0.6 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 2.6 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 891.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-05-27T18:09:40Z 2021-05-27T18:24:40Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Here's also a connection graph showing the last 7 days

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Red_devil
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

thanks for the reply.

I'm using the same Billion router (BIPAC 8800NL) that I've been using for the last 3 years.

I have a VDSL splitter in the master socket connected to the router via ethernet cable so there shouldn't be internal wiring issues.

Is there anything else I should try before raising a fault?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @Red_devil

If the internal wiring / master socket appears to be in tact, then I wouldn't say so.If you have any extension cables plugged in however, unplug them all. and plug your router directly into the test socket and see how you get on. We only ask you to perform these internal checks to identify the source of the fault. if a fault is raised and an engineer is booked, a £65.00 charge will be applied if the issue is found to be internal, so we try to avoid it as much as we can.

If you're satisfied that the fault does not lie within your domain, please head over to faults.plus.net and raise this with our Technical Support Team.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Red_devil
Grafter

Hi Adam,

thanks for the reply.

My (limited) understanding of the VDSL faceplate I have installed is that the socket it effectively presents me with is the same as the test socket and the extension wiring is filtered out before that.

That being the case and all of this being in a room we don't use I think it's very unlikely to be an internal issue but I will have a quick visual check before raising the fault.

TFYH