Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio frequency ingress detected

Pipachalk
Dabbler

Radio frequency ingress detected

Hi
What does it mean if radio frequency ingress is detected and crosstalk detected?
5 REPLIES 5
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Radio frequency ingress detected

Someone from the staff should be able to give you a definitive answer, but I suspect they mean your telephone line is picking up some electrical noise at RF, as well as signals from neighbouring lines in the bundle. However, it doesn't seem to affect your broadband connection, which is at full speed for an entry-level FTTC link, so it probably doesn't matter.

Pipachalk
Dabbler

Ok thanks.
They said our broadband speed isn’t as fast as the estimates and want to send an engineer out.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

In addition to @kjpetrie's response, cross talk is where there's interference from other connections in the cabinet. It's a fairly common problem which affects fibre circuits.

As your speeds are significantly below your estimates I do also recommend an engineer visit to further investigate.

Please let us know if you have any further queries or concerns.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pipachalk
Dabbler

Thanks for that reply.
We did have an engineer visit booked but had to cancel if due to not being able to get time off work to wait in for engineer.
You recommend that we rebook the engineer but I am a bit worried that the engineer might find an issue with the Plusnet equipment and as it is now over 1 year old it would lead to me being charged the £65 fee.
My mum has a sky modem that I could use to check whether the router is faulty but would that work or would I need to configure it etc as I’m Not sure I know how to.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems.

It might be worth trying a different router as you're right it might incur a call-out fee if your router is the cause of the fault. I don't think a Sky router can be (easily) configured to work with another connection.

If you would like us to replace your router I've replied to your ticket with more detail.

Let us know if you would like to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet