Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REIN ?

supernova1
Grafter

REIN ?

Hi,
Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the noise margin temporarily rises between 1 and 2dB.
This takes my max speed from about 76 to 80mbps.
The time period can be between 10 mins and an hour, so it appears that a 'noisy thing' is going quite for a while.
Any ideas on how to track this one down?
ATB
SN
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: REIN ?

Can you look at the individual bands in more detail? If you can get some idea of the frequency bands affected you might be able to use a radio receiver.
Does it occur at the same time of day or within certain time slots? Try keeping a log.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Maybe the noise margin temporarily rising is someone nearby switching off their VDSL2 modem for a little while, temporarily reducing the crosstalk.
Anotherone
Champion

That thought crossed my mind, but it's a whole dB, so I'd have thought they'd need to have badly balanced line for that much cross-talk, so I'd consider that after checking other factors, and see if there is any pattern. I do note that the "off" time is nearly an hour - the suggested time for turning off a Fibre modem to hopefully avoid DLM issues when a resync is wanted - could be coincidence!
supernova1
Grafter

Thanks all,
I'll keep  an eye on it and recod as much as I can.
It might take a considerable time to gather sufficient data to even attempt of get a conclusion.
ATB
SN
Anotherone
Champion

As would be expected  Undecided