cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quoted fibre speeds discrepancy?

JayChan
Dabbler

Quoted fibre speeds discrepancy?

So basically unfortunately the cabinet that my new address to be is stuck with a pitiful 13-20 Mbps download speed in comparison to my current address of 30-50mbps. The question now is more of why Plus net has quoted estimated speed of 13mbps when BT have quoted 14-20 mbps? That's quite a discrepancy of figures? Even more puzzling is because according to my attached picture the serving cabinet should serve speeds capable of up to 20mbps? So what does that mean then?
On a side note it's quite irritating that most cabinets on the street opposite to my new address has speeds serving ultra fast fibre whereas my particular block is practically the only one that doesn't and BT refuse to say whether they will be upgrading that cabinet or not to support faster speeds  Undecided
9 REPLIES 9
JayChan
Dabbler

Re: Quoted fibre speeds discrepancy?

This is the cabinet that serves the neighbours street literally down the road....kinda depressing to see such huge number differences  Cry
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

For some strange reason Plusnet go buy the lowest figure in the estimate not the entire range I have no idea why they do this no other ISP that i know does that hence why BT' was able to quote you up to 20Mb,  20Mb is the max they say you line is capable, 13Mb which plusnet quoted you is the lowest.
i had a issue with this today in which I couldn't get put back to the 80/20 package because the low end of my Estimate that plusnet uses was saying i couldn't go fast enough for it, luckily for me the 40/20 package is a cap and the line showed in the  BTW further diagnostic test  that it was indeed capable of far more so i was able to use that as evidence and they put me back on it.
Plusnet seriously need to look into this and change their test and use the entire range not just the lowest figure then there wouldn't be problems.     
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Terranova667
For some strange reason Plusnet go buy the lowest figure in the estimate
It's not strange it's very sensible. It prepares people for the worst and in a lot of cases they will be pleasantly surprised. It also avoids Plusnet being accused of promising more than they can deliver.
Truth is that if you tell a customer that the range is 10 to 20 they will complain if they get 15. A fair number will complain if they get 19.
Terranova667
Pro

Sorry Andrue but that is rubbish no other ISP does this they go by the full range telling potential and current customers what they can expect to get within that range,  going by only the lowest part of the estimate causes problems as my "please put me back on the correct package" thread shows if i hadn't the BTW further diagnostic test to show my line was capable of far more than their low estimated stated  i would still be on the 40/20 package arguing the case, it's a stupid way to do things.
And no i doubt many would complain they know it's a range the Broadband Availability  checker shows that,  other Isps including BT retail state that,  Plusnet is the only one that goes by the lowest number it should be changed and i know i'm not alone in this.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Sorry Andrue but that is rubbish no other ISP does this they go by the full range telling potential and current customers what they can expect to get within that range
So what? It's up to each ISP to give whatever estimate they feel is appropriate. If other ISP are using faster figures then more fool them. It sounds to me like PN are playnig it safe and going with the proven strategy of 'Under promise, over deliver'. I really don't understand why this annoys you so much. The user will get exactly the same speed either way. The difference is merely that with PN they are more likely to be pleasently surprised having been given a somewhat pessimistic prediction in the first place.
I've worked in customer facing roles previously (obviously you haven't). Whatever you tell them they always assume the best. If PN are indeed quoting the worst case scenario they are being very sensible. A customer will be over the moon to get 16Mb/s if you said they'd only get 10Mb/s. They will be irate and annoyed if you tell them '10 to 20' and they get 16.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

By the ruling of ofcom. PN are not allow to target estimated as the low in Range A, they should advert as high in Range A. All other isp's use high estimated in Range A (High) not (Low) so it appear PN are breaking the ofcom ruling. So, I agree with Terranova667 that PN should use Range A High estimated speed to the customers. Pulse8 used to be estimated at Range A (Low) but that now been changed to Range A (High).
chrcoluk
Grafter

Sorry Andrue but that is rubbish no other ISP does this they go by the full range telling potential and current customers what they can expect to get within that range,  going by only the lowest part of the estimate causes problems as my "please put me back on the correct package" thread shows if i hadn't the BTW further diagnostic test to show my line was capable of far more than their low estimated stated  i would still be on the 40/20 package arguing the case, it's a stupid way to do things.
And no i doubt many would complain they know it's a range the Broadband Availability  checker shows that,  other Isps including BT retail state that,  Plusnet is the only one that goes by the lowest number it should be changed and i know i'm not alone in this.

I dont know of any isp who uses the top of the range.
Every isp I checked on my line will use a figure close the low end of the fault free line rate.
Examples.
1 - When I joined infinity first on my cabinet they estimated 65.9mbit, the upper range was the full 80mbit on BTw tester.  I initially got 110mbit attainable due to no crosstalk but it did eventually settle at high 60s.
2 - When I migrated to plusnet from infinity, plusnet quoted me 72mbit. a increase even tho crosstalk was in affect and my current sync speed was below that, it matched the BTw fault free low end.
3 - When I migrated to sky, they gave me 2 figures, a guarantueed speed of 40mbit (as it turns out this is a throughput guarantuee), and a estimated speed off 68mbit matching my low fault free estimate.
Terranova667
Pro

Chrcoluk i did a test for a couple of Isps sky gave me the lowest figure which for me is currently 32Mb but they still allowed me to sign up to the 80/20 package so they must see that my range goes high enough, the other one was pulse8 and again same deal.
Plusnet is the only one that uses the lowest figure and that is it they wont allow you to sign up for Fibre extra even if your top range puts you over 40Mb, yes the other ISPs  may quote the bottom figure but it seems they take the rest of the range into account whilst plusnet does not that is something that needs to change or maybe you think it doesn't.
i dunno i just think it very unfair that only the lowest figure is used by plusnet preventing many from being able to sign up for or upgrading to the extra package even if their top end of the range goes over, as said in my  please put me back on the Correct package thread if i didn't have the BTW further diagnostic test to hand showing i could get far more than their lowest estimate figure plusnet wouldn't have put me back on the extra package I'm sure there have been or could potentially be more that would end up in the same situation.
chrcoluk
Grafter

I forgot to mention the upper part of my range has always been 80mbit, but not a single isp has ever quoted me 80mbit.