Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about the master socket

Afran
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quick question about the master socket

Hi there,
I've got an engineer coming tomorrow to install our fibre connection and I'm just curious as to how it will likely be set up given that, my desktop is the only thing needing to be wired to the internet and currently on ADSL I've got the router plugged in no more than a metre away from me as I sit here typing. I've read though that with fibre the router needs to connect to a modem which directly connects to the master socket, thing is, is the master socket something that can be moved? As our master socket is in a room on the other side of the house (aprox 20 metres away), ideally don't want a lose cable going across the place though 😛
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Quick question about the master socket

It can be moved, depends on the engineer you get. You also had the option of ordering an extension cable when you ordered fibre, if you did then the engineer will run the cable from the socket to the modem (up to 30M I think)
Afran
Rising Star

Hmm ok 😛
Also, order was made via phone and no mention of such cable
dick:quote
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet really should have mentioned the data extension kit when you ordered that's pretty poor on their part, if your very lucky you might get an engineer that will move the master socket for you but it depends if it's an open reach engineer if you get one of the third party ones like Kellys then there is a big chance it wont happen. 
Afran
Rising Star

I see, yeah definatley no mention of said cable... Hopefully get a response from Plusnet themselves on that.
I suppose it's just hope for the best, then? I'm pretty sure it'll be an open reach engineer as it usually (always to my knowledge) is around here so I'll see if he's willing to move the socket, in general is that a big ask, a job they'd usually be paid for?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I know it is not uncommon to move the master socket but I prefer a data extension rather than moving the master socket.
My thinking is that since the master socket will have the VDSL filter inside it, I would have thought you would want to keep that as close to the incoming line as possible. Given that in most scenarios, moving the master socket will not put it any closer to the incoming line (from outside/underground etc), I would have thought a better option is to keep the master socket where it is (so VDSL gets filtered out as early as possible for phone extensions), then use a VDSL extension kit to take the broadband to where it is needed.
I also wonder how many master sockets are relocated not using twisted pair cable, but existing flat cable (because it is already there, e.g. making a previous extension socket the new master socket).
So given the option, I would go for a VDSL extension kit every time rather than move the master socket.
Also, if you already have a phone connection (telephone socket) in the room with your PC, the installer may be tempted to use the existing wiring to that location. If it is not twisted pair cable, it is more prone to noise pickup. The same applies if the installer suggests making the master socket in the room with the PC. In that case, the existing wiring may be used, and if it is flat cable, it is more prone to noise pickup.
VDSL2 uses much higher frequencies than ADSL, so where flat extension cabling may have been perfectly adequate before, it may not be now.
In any case, you want to give your new fibre connection the best possible chance of getting the best speeds, and that starts with the wiring.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

This uncertainty is something that deters me from moving to fibre. My master socket is in the hall, and my ADSL router is connected to an extension socket (one of several within the flat) in the lounge. I don't want an fibre modem/router in the hall (nowhere to put it safely), and if I could be sure that the BTOR engineer could move the master socket to the lounge I might take the plunge (I don't mind losing the other extensions as I have a cordless phone, also plugged into the lounge extension). A data cable running down the hall and through a wall or door into the lounge is a no-no.
But it all seems to be so uncertain just what BTOR will and won't do on the install day (even down to whether it's BTOR or a sub-contractor who turns up), and nothing can be confirmed at the time of ordering. What happens if the engineer turns up and won't move the master socket - can I cancel the fibre order without penalty? I'd settle for fibre self-install if/when that's available, even if the speed might be less than optimum due to my internal wiring (as it can be now with ADSL).
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@northpole - I had the same issue as you. I have nowhere to put the modem at the master socket (there is not even a power socket there, let alone space). I opted to run a good quality CAT6 cable to the modem location. I already had an extension cable running to that location, but wanted to use a good quality cable. I ran it under the floor, which wasn't easy, but it was all ready for the installer when he arrived. He just had to connect it.
If you absolutely cannot find a way to route a new cable, you could use the existing cable to the lounge. There are a few ways to do this. One option, is IF the extension to the lounge only goes to the lounge from the master socket (and is not looped from there to anywhere else), AND you don't mind not being able to plug a phone into that socket, then it is a possible solution. This way, the installer would still fit a MK3 master socket at the current master socket location. The extension cable to the lounge could then be connected to the AB terminals in the master socket (unfiltered). That would carry the unfiltered VDSL signal to your lounge. The other extensions would connect into the usual place on the master socket (filtered), so you can plug phones into any of the other extensions. At the lounge side, you could replace the extension socket with an RJ11 line box (which the installer should have as part of the extension kit).
Another option is you could have the master socket moved to the lounge. In that case, any extensions would have to be wired into that socket. I think it would depend on the topology of your wiring as to whether that could be done (I am assuming the installer would need to use spare pairs to backwire the existing extensions).
Like I say, it depends on your wiring configuration, but if possible, running VDSL to the lounge only, with a MK3 filtered faceplate at the existing master socket would be my preferred solution.