cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question (Ping)

khaled35
Rising Star

Quick question (Ping)

So, I have always averaged a ping rate (tested using BTW, Speedtest and TB) of 16-20ms.  Last week saw some outages and since then I'm seeing ping between 29-35ms.  My speed average has also dropped from about 73mb to 68mb but obviously this is still within the acceptable range so I'm not really looking for an answer there.

I would however like to know why the ping has doubled and what I can do to fix it.  I have tried turning off modem and router, and keeping them turned off for about 20 minutes in that something would reset but have had no joy.

Any suggestions people?

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22
khaled35
Rising Star

Re: Quick question (Ping)

Me and my big mouth!

plusnet.PNG

khaled35
Rising Star

Just off phone with support.  Apparently a fault at the exchange and estimated resolution time is 27th September.

khaled35
Rising Star

@adamwalker @Chris @Gandalf @bobpullen 

Got a call from a BT engineer about a half hour ago while he was at the exchange.  He said he was there to fix a "no dial tone" issue according to his orders and that he did not see this issue on my line.  He was right! I didn't report a no dial tone issue on my line.  I advised him that I had an issue with intermittent fibre speeds and that Plusnet had detected a "noisy line".  He said another engineer would need to be arranged to sort that.

From the initial ticket Plusnet raised on my account:

**INTERNAL**

Fault Type: noisy line
Test Results: fail FU (Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF))
Fault Ref: TR0000008027211

Not sure where the wires got crossed but hoping one of you can take ownership of this, please.

khaled35
Rising Star

Is this the gradual decline?

plusnet1314-260917.PNG

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just been taking a look into this and can see there's been a line fault which has since been resolved and that we're now looking into this specifically as a broadband problem. 

We've got the fault logged with BT Wholesale and should be able to update you within the next few days. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
khaled35
Rising Star

@adamwalker A second BT engineer called me an hour ago and came to my home a few minutes later.  He actually just left without detecting any issues.  You'll probably see a report from him shortly.

khaled35
Rising Star

@adamwalker

My IP profile on BTW has always been at or around 71-74Mb

Now, it's down to 62.47Mb and I'm getting a throughput of about 60Mb.

Paints a pretty picture seeing that I'm getting close to the "new max".  But why has it dropped 10+Mb and what can you guys do to get this sorted?

Most of us work and maybe I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't have the time to keep chasing Plusnet on issues that they should be actively trying to resolve for their customers.  

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

My profile is 80/20 i normally get 74/17 .  one time they say a fault next time no fault found

bt test wed 27.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for getting back to us, I'll make sure this gets picked up shortly so please look out for a reply for your fault ticket soon.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@rongtw Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

I can see there's a engineer booked for tomorrow which prevents us from fully testing your line.

Can you let us know if you're still having issues after?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
khaled35
Rising Star

Well, no one got to my ticket and this is where I'm at now. Line profile has dropped from 74Mb to 62Mb and I can't even get 62 consistently.

plusnet2039-280917.PNG

Gladstone
Rising Star

Most of us work and maybe I'm speaking for myself here, but I don't have the time to keep chasing Plusnet on issues that they should be actively trying to resolve for their customers.  

It's not just you, I've spent a fair bit of time chasing a fault and had a variety of answers (no solutions) from both PN and BTW.

I do think it's BTW at fault in my case though and PN have been actively discussing it with them.

Hope you get the issues sorted out soon.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@khaled35  i have a engineer today Thumbs_Up  lets see what he says the problem is

Capture friday 29.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
khaled35
Rising Star

@rongtw I hope you have better luck with your engineer visit than I did.  Drop a line on here, when you get a chance, with the outcome please.