cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions from a new user

benfranklin
Grafter

Questions from a new user

Hello folks, I'm a new Plusnet customer having had fibre installed on Friday. I would call myself an advanced user, but I've only ever used dial-up or cable connections in the past so I've got some catching up to do on the xDSL side of things Smiley
I'm trying to get a handle on the quality of my line at the minute. I've just moved into a flat in a fairly new building, built in 2012. We are about 300m from the fibre cab that serves our line, and the fibre cab is also right next to the traditional phone cab. In my ignorance I had assumed that all of these things considered together would mean that we should get a pretty much top notch line speed.
The catch is that we have been given an ECI modem, so I'm flying blind and I don't like it! Plusnet member centre reports that my line speed is 64.4Mbps which is pretty good, but not as high as I had expected. Pingtest.net gives a result of 20ms with jitter varying between 2ms and 5ms. Do these results seem good, bad or average for Plusnet fibre?
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Questions from a new user

the speed looks good for the distance http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
benfranklin
Grafter

That table seems to be more pessimistic than the graph here, which suggests that we should be syncing somewhere in the high 70Mbps range. The BT Wholesale DSL checker also reports that the clean range estimate is 80-60.8Mbps, which we're right at the bottom of. Am I wrong to be surprised at this given that our entire road is virtually brand new?
I know that you should not unplug/disconnect the modem unnecessarily in case the DLM interprets the drops as a line quality issue. I am using my own router though, an old faithful D-Link DIR-655, which I spent some time configuring and generally tinkering with over the weekend. The problem with that is that every time I save the settings on any particular page, it reboots itself to apply the changes. Will the DLM see this as a disconnection, or does the fact that the modem is still powered on provide enough protection?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm 500 metres from the cab & I'm getting 45 down 13 up so you're about right. I have the ECI modem & it's fine, combined with an Asus RT-N56U router because I found that the PN supplied router was not up to it.
The BT checker always errs on the optimistic side, for obvious reasons!! Roll_eyes
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Plusnet member centre reports that my line speed is 64.4Mbps
That is effectively the IP profile setting which is actually only 88.2% of the sync rate. That would give a synch speed ( which is what the BT DSL checker is estimating ) of approx  73Mbps which is pretty much inline with the estimate and about right for your distance from the cabinet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Correction
The comparison between sync rate and IP profile on fibre is reported as being approximately 96.69% of sync speed compared to the previous (non-G.INP) 96.79%.
Note that for ADSL it is 88.5%
benfranklin
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Plusnet member centre reports that my line speed is 64.4Mbps
That is effectively the IP profile setting which is actually only 88.2% of the sync rate. That would give a synch speed ( which is what the BT DSL checker is estimating ) of approx  73Mbps which is pretty much inline with the estimate and about right for your distance from the cabinet.
Aha, I thought that WAS the sync speed so yes that does seem to be more like it. Thanks.
With regards to the DLM, does my router rebooting when I change settings present a problem? I'm hoping that the modem still being online means I am free to tinker to my heart's content  Smiley
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Correct.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

The comparison between sync rate and IP profile on fibre is reported as being approximately 96.69% of sync speed compared to the previous (non-G.INP) 96.79%
I stand corrected Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.