Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question before considering fibre

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Question before considering fibre

I know that installations are generally self install, but that limits matters like minimum performance. Is it stil possible to arrange an engineer install?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Question before considering fibre

From what I've seen, Plusnet work with the A-range of estimated speeds despite using self-install, so it wouldn't appear to matter.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

I've just gone from up to 17Mbps to LLU fibre https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/llu-broadband where the last bit from the green box is copper wire up to 35Mbps and that self-install, which is simple as you just change like with like. Simple Smiley

I considered full fibre  to the door and that came with an Engineer. Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@ejs wrote:

From what I've seen, Plusnet work with the A-range of estimated speeds despite using self-install, so it wouldn't appear to matter.

It did say that in another place, not PN, but it seems strange that most other ISPs quote the impacted range, as did PN a while back. PN seem to be an anomaly, and I am suspicious of anomalies in matters that link to corporate marketing. if I were to change, I'd want more than a verbal assurance.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The low end of the A estimate is the threshold for getting an engineer out. There's the different MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) for allowing you to leave your contract without penalty if they can't improve your speed. It's not a minimum speed that Openreach will fix your line until you get that speed.

What estimated speeds are you looking at? If they are all substantially better than what you can get on ADSL, it's all a bit academic.