Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the practicalities of upgrading to fibre

FIXED
Dhansak
Dabbler

Question about the practicalities of upgrading to fibre

Hi All

I am currently a PN ADSL customer thinking of moving over to PN Fibre Unlimited. I am assuming this will be a fibre to the cabinet scenario.

I am trying to find out what this may physically - entail re enigineers, sockets, cabling etc. I have a done a quick google on the generic process of transition to fibre and have come up with alternatives which include:

a) engineer visits and drills holes though walls etc.

b) engineer visits and just changes master socket plate

c) no engineer visit required - all work done remotely, I just have to setup the new router provided by PN.

I'd be grateful if someone with recent experience could advise what really happens! If it's relevant, we already have a new master socket plate fitted which provides separate filtered sockets for phone and ADSL.

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES
BrightonRock
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Question about the practicalities of upgrading to fibre

My understanding is that it would be your option c. with no engineer visit

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Dhansak wrote:

c) no engineer visit required - all work done remotely, I just have to setup the new router provided by PN.

This ^

Engineer visits for FTTC installs were phased out in favour of self install some time ago now.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 235

Fix

Hi there @Dhansak

Just to confirm from a staff response, that no engine visit will be required for a fibre installation. We'll send you a new router and once the work has completed outside of your property you should be able to connect at fibre speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Dhansak
Dabbler

Thank you all for your helpful replies - also official PN confirmation of the situation is greatly appreciated!

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 235

No problems, if there's ever anything else I can help with please feel free to let me know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team