Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the practicalities of upgrading to fibre

FIXED
Dhansak
Grafter

Question about the practicalities of upgrading to fibre

Hi All

I am currently a PN ADSL customer thinking of moving over to PN Fibre Unlimited. I am assuming this will be a fibre to the cabinet scenario.

I am trying to find out what this may physically - entail re enigineers, sockets, cabling etc. I have a done a quick google on the generic process of transition to fibre and have come up with alternatives which include:

a) engineer visits and drills holes though walls etc.

b) engineer visits and just changes master socket plate

c) no engineer visit required - all work done remotely, I just have to setup the new router provided by PN.

I'd be grateful if someone with recent experience could advise what really happens! If it's relevant, we already have a new master socket plate fitted which provides separate filtered sockets for phone and ADSL.

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Question about the practicalities of upgrading to fibre

My understanding is that it would be your option c. with no engineer visit

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Dhansak wrote:

c) no engineer visit required - all work done remotely, I just have to setup the new router provided by PN.

This ^

Engineer visits for FTTC installs were phased out in favour of self install some time ago now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there @Dhansak

Just to confirm from a staff response, that no engine visit will be required for a fibre installation. We'll send you a new router and once the work has completed outside of your property you should be able to connect at fibre speeds.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dhansak
Grafter

Thank you all for your helpful replies - also official PN confirmation of the situation is greatly appreciated!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems, if there's ever anything else I can help with please feel free to let me know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet