Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about broadband speed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Question about broadband speed

Thanks for getting back to us @mort7890 Apologies for the confusion, I can confirm that your speeds aren't artificially restricted. The banding of 49mbps means that your line can physically sync anywhere up to 49mbps. 

To replace the faceplate of your master socket this isn't something we'd be able to give you advice on or recommend I'm afraid. I'm sure there are other members of the community who may be able to help you with that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Gandalf Now I am really confused.

I am told that my profile is set incorrectly then I am informed all is correct even though it is as it was then I am asked to remove faceplate to try the test socket, to do this I ahve to purchase a filter as the 5c does not have a test socket.but not informed of any improvement or deterioration. Then you cannot advise me to replace the face palte you asked me to remove.

Has doing this made any difference???

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @mort7890 Your line is on a banded profile however it isn't restricting your speeds. Your 5C master telephone socket does have a test socket, it's in the centre after you unclip the faceplate. Unfortunately with all test sockets you'd need a filter, if you've not bought one yet I'd be happy to send you one out free of charge?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @mort7890 I’ve been reading this again and to just to clarify when you’ve mentioned ‘replace the faceplate’ are you referring to getting a new one or just refitting it back onto the socket?

If you’re referring to the latter then I’ve misunderstood you, to refit the faceplate back on you should just need to clip it on.

Also if that’s the case does this mean you’ve tried plugging your router into the test socket?

However if you were referring to getting a new faceplate, please ignore this post. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Gandalf Glad to notice you have read it again although the question has not been answered.

I was asked to put the router in the test socket but reported back that this was not do-able as the 5C does not have a test socket as such.

I purchased a new filter, removed the face plate, input the filter, reconnected and informed @LordFoul as requested.

I ran further tests on BT Wholesale Speed test and reported the results,

My questions

Did removing the face plate make any difference and if not should I now replace it.

Why has my IP Profile dropped from 58Mbps in June to 45Mbps in November.

My IP Profile was reset in September as it had previously dropped, an apology from @MasterOfReality was accepted and I did inform that I would monitor the situation.

I think the problem is my profile being dropped back to 40/20 from what I should be on 80/20 unless the line cannot achieve or sustain this profile. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @mort7890 thanks for the clarification.

Did removing the face plate make any difference and if not should I now replace it.

It doesn't look like the test socket made a difference and I see no reason why you shouldn't put the faceplate back on. Smiley

Why has my IP Profile dropped from 58Mbps in June to 45Mbps in November.

That'd be because your sync speed has dropped, the IP profile just always sit just below your sync speed.

I think the problem is my profile being dropped back to 40/20 from what I should be on 80/20 unless the line cannot achieve or sustain this profile. 

As per Matt's post yesterday, you're on a 49mbps profile. If you were on a 40mbps profile then there'd be no way you'd be able to achieve more than 40mbps however you've proven you're getting more than this.

To investigate further, I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit.

Feel free to post back once you've reported the fault and we'll be happy to pick the ticket up as soon as we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet