Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about broadband speed

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Question about broadband speed

Hi @Mustrum and @TheMightyAJ 

Thanks for the information and I think I understand the figures (attached) so accordingly all looks Okay

Once again many thanks

mort7890
Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality Download speed slowing down so checked BT and my IP Profile dropping again but only on Download

Download speedachieved during the test was - 43.19 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-45.4 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 45.4 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.22Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 13:40:43
Downstream: 46.9 Mbps
Upstream:

13.52 Mbps

I also note my router has been reset for the second time in 3 days is there any reason for this to happen.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @mort7890

I've tested your line and I can see that the speeds have dropped slightly.

Unfortunately, our tests aren't showing any cause for the drop in speed or the drops in connection.

Can you try connecting to the test socket as explained here and then get back to us so we can retest?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mort7890
Pro

Hi @MatthewWheeler If you look back at previous reports you will see that my router was at 58Mbps and is now showing 46.9Mbps

Connection time: 0 days, 16:18:46
Upstream: 13.52 Mbps

However the question I asked was why is the connection time showing 16hrs 18mins when I have not switched the router off also it was showing a connection time of 3 days prior to that so in the last 4 days my router has been reset by outside sources.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @mort7890,

Our suppliers generally update and perform maintenance on lines during the wee hours of the morning, which from your radius logs (as below) show. It may be something else, however, these kind of drops are what we expect to see from any customers service.

As Matt advised, can you plug your connection into the test socket & let us know so we can retest from there?

Thanks.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Mads So they have done maintenance 4 times in the last 5 days. I was under the impression that a break in the service indicated to the monitoring system that there was a stability problem with the BB and would therefore reduce the speed accordingly to endeavour maintain the stability.I have just pulled the face plate away but unfortunately there is no apparent test socket on the new Open Reach master socket 5C.that I can see.Also since doing this and checking my speed it appears my IP profile has again dropped indicating that the stability on the line has yet again been compromised and my IP profile has been reduced.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 36.75 Mbps
 Additional Information:

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mort7890,

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to hear of the issue.

The Openreach Master Socket 5C nameplate is removed to access the test socket underneath. Can you see only

one socket or two?

Thanks - LF

mort7890
Pro

Hi @LordFoul 

Removed face plate and there is only one socket available, I replaced face plate as I do not have a filter to allow me to connect the phone and the dsl cable. When I get a filter I will change over to that however I do not think that is the problem but will try it.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mort7890,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The one socket below the faceplate is the test socket so thanks for confirming that. The ADSL filter is required here, there should have been one in your router box if you still have it otherwise you can get one relatively cheaply at most high street hardware stores or online.

Although it may not seem relevant, removal of the face plate can also remove any interference from the internal filter if it is faulty, it also allows an interrupted route from the router, this also allows us to run our diagnostic tests.

Let us know once you have a filter connected directly so I can also run a diagnostic test again if necessary.

Thanks - LF

mort7890
Pro

Hi @LordFoul New filter purchased and fitted as requested IP Profile still the same

Download speedachieved during the test was - 41.83 Mbps
 Additional Information:

mort7890
Pro

Hi @LordFoul Thought I would try another test this AM

Download speedachieved during the test was - 39.69 Mbps
 Additional Information:

So presume my IP Profile will drop again due to irregularity of speed, am I not supposed to be on 80/20, router status is

Connection Information

Connection time: 0 days, 15:24:55
Upstream: 13.81 Mbps

I have seen the Downstream up at over 60Mbps, Upstream as very rarely faltered.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Personally, I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can look at arranging an escalated visit to the property.

If you do go ahead with this just reply back and we'll get that done

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mort7890
Pro

Hi @MatthewWheeler Having had over the past numerous engineers attend my property and found that the connection and cable is excellent then I feel that yet another visit would give the same results. If you refer back on this question about broadband speed you will notice that @MasterOfReality in message 9/42 quoted

Hi @mort7890 

Your profile is currently at 0.128M-49M Downstream. 

I can't see any reason for this to have happened, so I can only offer my apologies. I've raised a fault to get it amended to 80/20 now. 

Thanks, 

MoR

I did reply saying that I made mention on the 10th June under BT Wholesale Speed Test 107/128

However what concerns me is that the IP Profile has dropped from 57.5Mbps to 45.4Mbps is this BT or Plusnet

Download speedachieved during the test was - 100 Mbps
 Additional Information:

When my IP profile was reset everything was fine until the router was remotely reset indicating the fault is eiither in the exchange or with PN.as @Mads reported showing 4 session starts and 4 session closes no failed connections so is the server remembering these points and therefore indicating an unstable connection thus reducing my IP profile yet again.

Just as a point of interest after my last report within 15 mins I received a phone call from purported BT Openreach Technical (01522410037) stating that my router was reporting an incompatability with the servers and creating errors.

I, of course, took this to be a scam, blocked the number on call protect and reported it to ICO.

Seems coincidental but in that time scale I had completed a BT Wholesale speed test and reported the results to PN

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

At the moment your current profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-49M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection"

As your sync speeds are below 49mbps there's no benefit to arrange a line reset as you aren't maxing out the speeds the banding is allowing you to connect at.

With regards to the drops, we can't see any cause for these and they're unlikely to have been caused by us or our suppliers. These may actually be a sign of a genuine fault on the line

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mort7890
Pro

Hi @MatthewWheeler your response is complete the opposite of @MasterOfReality where it was stated that

Your profile is currently at 0.128M-49M Downstream. 

I can't see any reason for this to have happened, so I can only offer my apologies. I've raised a fault to get it amended to 80/20 now. 

But you state at the moment your current profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-49M as your sync speeds are below 49mbps there's no benefit to arrange a line reset

So who is correct please.

Also do I now replace the master socket faceplate.