Re: Question about broadband speed

Any update to my issue, as the thread I started seems to have been hijacked

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @TeessideChris78

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Looking at your profile and line estimates, everything looks to be performing as expected.

You're on an 80/20 profile (this is based on your package not your line) and your estimates are between 48 and 69Mbps (what your line can expect to receive).

You're currently connected at 51Mbps, which is within your estimated range.

Given that it is within your estimates I'm afraid we can't request our suppliers investigate this further, however it may be worth taking a look at our connection improvement troubleshooting as it may give you a little more speed.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Optimatts and @MasterOfReality 

I did not request suppliers investigation I made an observation that my IP Profile on the BT Wholesale Speed Test was I felt incorrect. This was pointed out by @MasterOfReality in a response that

Your profile is currently at 0.128M-49M Downstream. 

I can't see any reason for this to have happened, so I can only offer my apologies. I've raised a fault to get it amended to 80/20 now. 

My profile was reset at 0840 today noted on my router and is currently 52.87 and 13.23 BT show my profile as 51.17 and 20.00

So having just had my profile reset I will now monitor the situation accordingly.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @mort7890, I think the investigation @Optimatts mentioned was in response to @TeessideChris78

Let us know how it goes once you have had chance to monitor and please get back to us if the issue persists.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mort7890
Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality 

If my profile is amended to 80/20 what should I see when I do a BT Wholesale Speed Test please.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mort7890

You should see the second number in the profile range increase to 78mb/s and your download speeds improve accordingly.

Interestingly, I've just checked your account and the profile has gone back down to the 50mb/s mark, so I've reset it again for you - if this hasn't improved over the next couple of days, I'd be tempted to raise this to our suppliers for investigation as there may be something underpinning this that is driving the speed down.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

mort7890
Pro

Hi @RandallFlagg 

Just thought I would run a test and I attach 2 files for perusal, one giving Hub speed and the other BT speed and profile.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think you need to ignore the BT speed test as it is impossible to achieve that download speed on your line. This tester is known to give crazy results from time to time. Try it again later it may have calmed down a bit.Smiley

mort7890
Pro

Hi @RealAleMadrid 

I have always questioned the BT Speed Test and that has been discussed in previous posts, however I believe PN only action on the results of such a test.

However it was not the speed I was trying to put over but the IP Profile for the line, see attached, as I think I should be on 80/20 but looks like 60/20 if my interpretation is correct

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @mort7890,

I've just double checked this and I can see that your IP Profile is setup correctly and that you are provisioned on the correct package. Everything appears to be running fine from our end of things as it stands, but if you're not seeing that reflected on your end of things then please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@mort7890 I am afraid your thinking is wrong. The BT Wholesale profile always depends on ypur line synch speed. So although you are provisioned on an 80/20 product, your line does not appear to be capable of achieving the maximum speeds.

If you enter your phone number in the DSL Checker, it will show a range of speeds your line could achieve.

And if you look at the Help Desk tab in your router, you will find the sync and max achievable speeds.

Speed tests only give you a partial idea of what your line is capable of, but depends on too many things, and no ISP will ever quote or use those speeds. 

mort7890
Pro

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

Okay perhaps you can see it is set up correctly but unfortunately, and perhaps i am unsure of the correctness, I do not know what that really is but I will go along with it.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Mustrum 

I think my Line sync Speed could be 71.50 (as attached DSL Checker) but I could be wrong.

With regards to Help Desk do you mean connection (as attached) showing almost 62.00

I appreciate speed tests only give a partial idea but if I do not know what the settings are then I have no idea

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @mort7890,

So the DSL checker screen shows that the estimated speeds are between 49.1 & 71.5mbps, with your router showing a healthy 61.84mbps and the BT Speed Checker showing 52.85mbps which would be within the line estimates.

Based on those results, there certainly doesn't appear to be any sort of issue with the line.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@mort7890  sorry for the late reply, been out for my Friday night racketball session, only to squander the calories burned by having a couple of pints!

So as @TheMightyAJ  has already replied, your sync speeds are in the middle of the possible speeds you could expect from the DSL checker - it's a non exact science, and whilst nice to get the top of the estimate - and it is just that, an estimate, alas its not a done deal.

Moving on to the Helpdesk tab, that is within the Troubleshooting tab - it contains a whole lot of extra information about your network/circuit performance and more. If your attainable speeds are considerably above your sync speeds, it may mean that there are things that could be done to increase your sync speeds.