Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about broadband speed

TeessideChris78
Hooked

Question about broadband speed

Hi

So moved from BT to Plusnet and signed up to Unlimited Fibre Extra and have been connected for 2 weeks, and my line stats are the following from the PlusNet One modem

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected Connection time: 0 days, 01:24:12 Downstream: 47.8 Mbps Upstream:

16.59 Mbps

However when I do a speed test I'm getting 35-36 Mbps Download speed and 12-13 Mbps upload speed, I've received an email saying

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range. Now that your Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated peak time speeds:

Download: 43 - 62Mb
Upload: 10 - 16Mb

These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.

Current line speed: 78Mb

This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 38.1Mb

This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

Now when I was on BT my line stats the HH6 where Downsteam: 60Mbps, Upsteam: 20Mbps upload and when running a speed test give I was getting 54-56 download speed and 17-18 upload speed, and I know that I wasn't getting the full 60 download and full 20 upload speed when doing a speed test but losing 13mb download is puzzling if my Downsteam is 47Mbps.

I've tried switching the modem off for a while and switching it back on after 30 second but am still getting 35-36 Mbps Download speed, plus I would like to also know where the hell Plusnet have got my current line speed at 78Mbps from when its 47Mbps

50 REPLIES 50
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Question about broadband speed

Check advanced on the BT Wholesale Speed Test to see what your profile is set at as this can affect the results

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@TeessideChris78  Welcome to the forum.

First of all the 78Mbps refers to the contract you are on, that is up to 78/18, not really 80/20. Not the speed that they are measuring.

Next the router is reporting the synchronous rate between your router and the fibre cabinet. Because of handshaking requirements and error correction this is always higher than the data rate.

When you change suppliers Openreach reset the DLM which can cause a temporary reduction in speed. This will hopefully automatically recover.

If you still have your Smarthub 6 then like many of us use that rather than your Plusnet Hub One, which is a tweeked old Home Hub 5A. The Smarthub has better WiFi and the firmware is less buggy. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeessideChris78
Hooked

Well switched out the PlusNet modem for the Smarthub 6 and am getting exactly the same sync speeds that I did with BT before my contract ended with them,  but 2 months prior again was getting sync speeds of 60/20 until something happened on the 21st June and my sync speeds got decreased

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @TeessideChris78

I've just reset the line profile for your account - could you please carry out a speed test via a wired device and let me know the results?

Thanks

Dave

mort7890
Pro

Again just checked my profile and it shows at download 47.37Mbps, but according to my account my current Line Speed (Download): 50.6Mbps.

Testing through BT Wholesale Speed Test I am getting 44.8Mbps

I am sure a while ago my profile was up towards the 60Mbps marker

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mort7890 

We have two different accounts logged against your community profile - are you speaking about the church this time or not? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Moderators Note: Corrected typo

mort7890
Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality 

Not the Church

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @mort7890 

Your profile is currently at 0.128M-49M Downstream. 

I can't see any reason for this to have happened, so I can only offer my apologies. I've raised a fault to get it amended to 80/20 now. 

Thanks, 

MoR

mort7890
Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality 

Many thanks for picking this up, just as a point to note, I made mention on the 10th June under BT Wholesale Speed Test

Still going in bursts of 20% also urealistic speeds as detailed so still broken. However what concerns me is that the IP Profile has dropped from 57.5Mbps to 45.4Mbps is this BT or Plusnet

and this was not picked up.

Will see if my profile has changed and let you know.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @TeessideChris78 

This was the BT profile. 

I can take up to 48hrs for the profile to be fully amended - just fyi 

Thanks, 

MoR

TeessideChris78
Hooked

@MasterOfReality 

Sorry I don't understand about the "This was the BT profile"

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

is this BT or Plusnet

Hi @mort7890 

I assumed by the above you were asking if it was the OR or PN profile which was banded? 

I must have been wrong - let me know what you meant and I'll revise my answer 

Thanks, 

MoR

mort7890
Pro

Hi @MasterOfReality 

The hub connection shows 48.94Mbps upstream and 13.22Mbps downstream

On the BT wholesale speedtest My line IP Profile is as attached

Trust this gives you the information.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @mort7890

Sorry for the delay. I can see @MasterOfReality sent a request to our suppliers for your profile to be amended. As this was sent after 3pm on Friday it missed the deadline and will be sent through for action today. Its normally around 1-2pm and you should notice the change within 24-48 hours from this afternoon.

Sorry for any inconvenience.