Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query re speeds Day 1 onwards with Fibre

crazeeworld
Dabbler

Query re speeds Day 1 onwards with Fibre

Hi all,
I know that the guidance says give it 10 days for the Fibreoptic service to bed in after install.
Had mine done a few hours ago and am basically getting dial-up speed.
What are people's experiences with the first couple of weeks on changing over?
This may help other people who have just changed over.
(Over 2 hours to download a 157mb file? Surely that can't be anything like right).
Thanks in advance for any replies.
13 REPLIES 13
shure
Grafter

Re: Query re speeds Day 1 onwards with Fibre

Mine was up to speed pretty much as soon as I switched it on.  There have been fluctuations sure but generally speaking was within expectations.
Having seen some other posts it's possible your profile hasn't been adjusted properly at the PN end.  What does it say your line speed is?  Happily that's a quick fix if that's the case
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is where to find the Plusnet line speed profile (login to member centre required).

[Acknowledgement] Link to 'Current line speed' above copied from @Oldjim's signature since it's now otherwise somewhat difficult to find.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
crazeeworld
Dabbler

BTW test says:
Download 0.22
Upload 1.82
PingLatency  31.63
Telephone number:01204------------
Phone exchange:FARNWORTH
Estimated line speed:40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support.
These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  -
Checked on 2015-08-29 15:26:11
Current line speed:0.2 Mb
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Right - if you click on here what is the IP profile (ignore the speed test results as they will be rubbish - specially the upstream) http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
Assuming the IP profile is sensible you should get the Plusnet copy corrected via Chat or phone
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Current line speed:0.2 Mb

That's the problem.
If you click 'Further Diagnostics' on the BT Speedtest that will tell you the BT IP Profile (I expect that's a lot higher but best to check), the Plusnet 'Current line speed' is supposed to be just a little lower than the BT IP Profile.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
crazeeworld
Dabbler

A phone call to PN support did the trick 37mb showing.
Thanks very much folks.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

* deleted. *
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear it's been fixed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I don't know where this training period nonsense came from but I don't like false information being spread around.
As soon as you connect to fibre, the VDSL modem will connect as fast as it can. It will run in a wide open profile state for 24 hours. After 24 hours changes will start being made to stabilise the connection if is dropping, such as adding interleaving.
These changes never will make the connection faster. They will always reduce the speed.
The DLM will constantly be monitoring the line after the first 24 hour period to see if changes need to be made.
Nothing special happens in the first 10 days that doesn't happen in the first 100 days.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I had the openreach engineer tell me to wait for the 10 day training when he reset DLM last Friday so it seems it's openreach themselves spreading that rubbish because they obviously think customers are stupid and wouldn't find out what the truth really is, sadly it doesn't help when ISPs do the same thing it helps no one and rather insulting to customer intelligence. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: AlecR
I don't know where this training period nonsense came from but I don't like false information being spread around.
BT for goodness sake and you would think that they would know better
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

It seems that not even Openreach engineers are fully trained on DLM. This is rather concerning.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlecR
It seems that not even Openreach engineers are fully trained on DLM. This is rather concerning.
it may be a deliberate tactic to give them a chance to escape. If the customer says that their new install is running slowly the engineer can tell them to wait ten days and then he's free to get in his van and drive off. It's a bit like the old Are You Being Served joke: "Don't worry if the sleeves are bit long, sir, they'll ride up with wear"  Grin