cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on an 'all in one' modem router upgrade

Dabooka

Query on an 'all in one' modem router upgrade

HI all, thanks for reading.
I'm currently making use of the suplpied BT modem and the Plusnet Poverty Router; it works well enough but I'd like a combined router / modem to get a much needed 4th port back and free up a socket under the stairs.
So far my research has narrowed it down to a few possibilities;
The Fritzbox 7490 "http://www.trustedreviews.com/avm-fritz-box-7490-review"
A Billion 8800axl "http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/20044-billion-bipac-8800axl/"
A Draytek Vigor 2860ac "http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860ac"
Initially I liked the look of the Fritzbox due to the DECT compatibility (another socket saved), but both the Billion and Draytek have compelling cases too (although Draytek is significantly more pricey at nigh on £300).
So any thoughts on these or alterntives, especially in relation to wireless and VDSL connections would be greatly appreciated.  
Thanks in advance,
Dabooka
22 REPLIES 22
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Query on an 'all in one' modem router upgrade

Take a look at the TP-Link TD-9980 as well, dual band VDSL router. Round the £80 mark.
Dabooka

Thanks for the reply; I looked at that one too briefly (seems great value).  Is it one you use?
adie:Quote
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes been using it for past several months with no issues. Latest f/w fixes the GINP issues. Full compatible with PN TV as well.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I'd go with either a Billion or Zyxel which have BCM chipsets if youre wanting line stat logging.
The TP-Link TD-W9980 is very stable and has decent support -Review.  It works well for the vast majority of users and a good choice for price.
The reason I dont use is stats and it syncs at about 7Mbps less than my existing router which gives me the full 80/20.
JasonMassey
Grafter

I have the Vigor 2860n and it's working great with Plusnet, very stable.   It also worked well with G.INP on the upload until OpenReach removed it.
However, unless you have a specific reason to need some of the Vigor 2860 features I would save money and look at cheaper alternatives.  
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have been using the TP-Link TD-W9980 for just a couple of days now & it works great,i am getting the same upload/download speed i was getting before,so very happy,about £62 Amazon Smiley Cheesy Grin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Dabooka

Thanks for the replies so far, clearly a lot of votes for the TP-Link!
Interesting no one appears to use the other makes or model; I'd heard weird things about some Zyxel stuff (although my ethernet powerline adatpros seem to work well) so initally dismissed them.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I was lucky enough to get issued the TG582n router just before PN changed to the current 'zero' router that a lot of people are having issues with. Whilst a basic router with adequate wifi coverage, I haven't quite gone the extra step of purchasing an all in one unit. I would find it hard to justify a few hundred pounds on such a purchase. But like you say, the TP link seems to get good reviews and is reasonably priced.
Decisions decisions Smiley
Dabooka

Quite. The Fritz was winning until I started poking around.
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Sorry for breaking the rules, thought I'd only quoted the 'Decisions decisions'  part from Jafreer's post above as suggested.
Oh wait....
Estragon
Rising Star

What is your connection speed?
The two contrasting posts that stood out about the TP-Link was kitz saying it sync'ed 7Mbps low on a 78/19.5 connection, and jockwav who gets the original speed but is on 38/9.5 by the look of it.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Dabooka
Thanks for the replies so far, clearly a lot of votes for the TP-Link!
Interesting no one appears to use the other makes or model; I'd heard weird things about some Zyxel stuff (although my ethernet powerline adatpros seem to work well) so initally dismissed them.

I'm actually one of those who by choice prefers to use a Zyxel because without doubt it performs much better on my line despite me being on an ECI cab.   I have 2x TD W8990's sat here doing nothing but I dont use them because they dont allow me to sync at the full 80/20.    The VMG8934 syncs comfortably at 80/20 with some to spare and is rock steady for me.   I believe I may have been the first in the UK to test the VMG8324 in March 2014 and I certainly was the first to beta test the TD-W9980 before its public release.  There are an awful lot of users on my forum who very highly rate the Billions which use the same chipsets as the Zyxels and wont use anything else.
I'm not affiliated in any way shape or form with Zyxel/Billion/BCM and I paid hard cash for mine - its just my personal preference because it works well for me on my line.  I know that Zyxel arent are good as TPlink for updating f/w and I do if possible try avoid the BCM chipset wars, but I cant deny that the BCMs work best for my line.  
I have always make effort to stress that different modems work best on certain lines and over past 10yrs it hasnt escaped my notice that the BCMs do tend to wok best for short lines and eke out extra speed, whilst other models are far more stable when it comes to troublesome or long lines.   This is why I always say its sometimes a case of suck it and see Sad
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@kitz - and that would be one thing that might put me off the TP-Link, the fact that it doesn't have a Broadcom chipset. I know some people think it doesn't matter but I know from the ADSL days that my Netgear DG834 definitely did better on a longer line. I still think a Broadcom based modem would sit more comfortably with me than the Lantiq based modem.
I am currently using the HG612, having switched from the ECI modem, and I gained close to 10 Mbps, but I don't know how much of that was thanks to G.Inp.
I will hold off for a bit since I don't like spending money and my current setup works Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well due to G.Inp I lost 10Mb sync. My line dropped to about 55Mb from 64-67Mb. Same router.
With the latest f/w it is back to syning at 65K
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@Hairy - yes i suspect my increase in speed was due to the G.Inp becoming active. I don't fancy putting the ECI modem back on as everything is stable for the moment. I suppose if the playing field was level (ECI modem and HG612 both having G.Inp) then I could compare modem chipset performance.