Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about upgrading account

FIXED
Stevef1
Grafter

Query about upgrading account

I'm considering upgrading my account mainly to boost this awful upstream I have

I'm on 40mbps down, 1.4 up (fibre unlimited)

My questions:-

1: if I log into my "account" and upgrade to the better package, will I be charged immediately or when I'm due to be billed next month?  (considering I paid for this month under a week ago)

2: I am out of contract and have been for a couple of months, if I upgrade my account I assume this would continue?

(I don't want to get locked into an 18 month contract simply for upgrading my account, I'd rather go elsewhere)

(btw I did try to phone and get the answers but it said there was a 30+ minute wait  ..stuff that)

32 REPLIES 32
Stevef1
Grafter

Re: Query about upgrading account

No reply?  c'mon Plusnet throw me a bone, I'm trying to give you more money Tongue

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry about the delay in responding

@Stevef1 wrote:

1: if I log into my "account" and upgrade to the better package, will I be charged immediately or when I'm due to be billed next month?  (considering I paid for this month under a week ago)

You won't be charged until your invoice date, but you may see a pro rata fee on the bill to cover the difference in price.

@Stevef1 wrote:

2: I am out of contract and have been for a couple of months, if I upgrade my account I assume this would continue?

It shouldn't start a new contract but let us know on here once you've put it through and we'll double check.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stevef1
Grafter

Thank you.

but "It shouldn't start a new contract but let us know on here once you've put it through and we'll double check."

That's all well and good but if you double check and find there is a 12-18 month contract, I'm then locked into it because I just put the upgrade through. 

No offence but I would like to know up front

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

I should have said,

It shouldn't start a new contract but let us know on here once you've put it through and we'll remove the contract if it does.

Sorry for the confusion

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stevef1
Grafter

Thank you very much.

Stevef1
Grafter

Hi, I just logged in to finally upgrade my account but just before clicking "choose this product" I saw this (the red box)

upgrade.png

So it seems if I upgrade I will be locked into another 18 months?

That is something I simply cannot do as I don't have the security of knowing I'll be able to pay for 18 months straight.

(if you can tell me this is not true in my case, then I'll immediately put through the upgrade!)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As I've previously said let us know on here once you've put it through and we'll remove the contract.

I hope this helps

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stevef1
Grafter

Sorry Gandalf, I misunderstood (yes, I'm dumb)

anyway, I just put the order through.  Thank you very much for your help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Steve, I've set a reminder for us to remove the contract when the product change completes tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stevef1
Grafter

Does the new connection take time to 'settle' in?

it's just that the connection has been very flakey today, speed fluctuating a lot and a complete loss of internet at one point (~10:30pm)  wasn't off for that long, 12-15 mins.

Just wondering if I should report this or give it a few days to bed in?

Stevef1
Grafter

Having done some testing on and off most of the day/night yesterday I'm now thinking my main issue is wifi related, almost all my wired tests showed speed of 74mbps or more, whereas using wifi (various devices,  ps4, ipad, laptop) I'm getting 30-45mbps down and 1-5mbps up.  

and facetime still struggles to hold a single call without breaking up or reconnecting.

So last night I dug out my old router, a TPlink one but for some reason it would not connect at all, kept stumbling at the authentication even though the login and pass were correct (triple checked)

So today, have decided enough is enough and I just ordered a new router from amazon, I cannot afford one of the top of the range £200-£300 ones but this one does seem to have good reviews and lots of comments saying the wifi range is very good.  I really didn't want to spend this much because money is tight but if it fixes the wifi then I guess it is worth it.

its an Asus AC1200G+

lets see how that goes.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

How are you connecting to your  FTTC service, do you have a separate Openreach VDSL2 Modem? Just checking because the Asus RT-AC1200G+ is a router only with no modem and cannot be connected directly to the phone line. If you've already got the separate modem that router should be fine.

Stevef1
Grafter

I have a white openreach box here the wire from the phone line goes into and an ethernet cable plugs into that, I am 'assuming' that is a modem.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Yes that's the modem, the Asus will work with that.