cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queries about Fibre Broadband

danielm2008uk

Queries about Fibre Broadband

Hello

I am looking for some advice regarding the fibre broadband service I've been signed up to.

My line speed is supposed to be 2mb Upload and 40mb downloads which is roughly what I receive.

The problem I have is that I am struggling with gaming and I am not 100% what the issue might be.  I have done some Broadband Speed Tests, Ping Tests as well as Jitter and Packet Loss.  Nearly all show a pretty reasonable experience, but for some reason the Packet Loss is always 100% failure.  I've looked over most forum posts on here and other sites and it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence unless people have yet to try this.

One of the speed tests I did graded my line as B+ which said it was pretty good, but might not be optimal for gaming.  I am looking for a better service as I want to improve my skills and need a decent and high connection so that I can perform at my best.  Any thoughts on this would be helpful

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Queries about Fibre Broadband

Hi and welcome to the forums,

What do you game on and is your device connected via ethernet or wifi?

Can you let me know what's showing 100% packet loss?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danielm2008uk

Apologies for the late reply.

I game on PC and PS4.  My latest gaming venture is with Quake Champions which is still in beta so I know there are a few hiccups going on.  But the problem that I have witnessed people having great connections so it seems to be something with me.

I've done broadband tests with Ookla Speed Test which fails on the packet loss for some reason.  However, when I do a pathping test in command prompt, it shows everything as ok

C:\Users\danie>pathping -4 www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.20.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  0  DESKTOP-6HMKI9I.lan [BLOCKED]
  1  R1.lan [BLOCKED]
  2  192.168.BLOCKED
  3     *        *        *
Computing statistics for 50 seconds...
            Source to Here   This Node/Link
Hop  RTT    Lost/Sent = Pct  Lost/Sent = Pct  Address
  0                                           DESKTOP-6HMKI9I.lan [BLOCKED]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  1    1ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  R1.lan [192.168.BLOCKED]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  2    2ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  192.168.BLOCKED

Trace complete.  (NB> BLOCKED hides the ip address

The Ookla test showed the line I have as being a B+ for gaming.  Basicallly saying it will work, but not at optimal levels.  Ideally I would need something a lot better, hopefully an A rating.

My broadband package is 40mbs download, 2mb upload.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Google rate limit ICMP so a traceroute to their servers isn't really accurate.

Can you traceroute bbc.co.uk (or a server you're having problems with) for us please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet