cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse VPN Teams meeting issues

metalligator
Dabbler

Pulse VPN Teams meeting issues

Been having issues with my wifes work laptop, she gets booted multiple times a day from teams meetings.

Her IT have replaced her laptopwith a brand new one but she still gets the issue.

Other people do not get kicked from the meeting.

It doesn't happen on the personal laptop

IT happens when connected to router by cable, 2.4gh or 5ghz wireless

My work laptop never disconnects and I have a remote desktop connection so notice internet disconnects, I only use this and voice calls via teams, when hers drops I can be on a voicecall and experience no issues.

It is getting unworkable for her as videocalls are part of her project

I was using an EE router (reskinned homehub 6) which worked fine for every device apart from her work laptops, I have switched back to the plusnet one last night as a last ditch effort but if this doesn't work I am left with another 6 months internet which is unusable for my wifes work.

When it kicks her out her outlook and teams (all of office) say she is disconnected and it says no internet, the VPN is still connected. Speedtest.net will not run on her machine but while experiencing the issues other devices get ~65mb down and 16mb up

What else can I do/try?

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Pulse VPN Teams meeting issues

For total clarity here, do the devices which work without issue use the VPN?

Does your wife's computer only have problems when using the VPN?

Does your wife's computer have problems when using the VPN no matter if connected via ethernet, 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi?

What technology is your wife's computer - generic windows or Apple OS?

Which router are you using?

Do you have a static or dynamic external IP address - if you have not requested (and paid for) a static IP address then you are on a dynamic address

There are histories of issues with...

• Some VPN service providers - in the first instance one to pass to her IT support
  • Some VPN providers where the allocated dynamic IP address was previously located overseas - again one for the VPN service provider to ensure that their geolocation data it up to date
  • WiFi connection stability
    • Quite pronounced with some Apple products which flip-flop between 2.4GHz and 5GHz
    • Some devices have connection stability issues on the 5GHz WiFi band with the PN Hub One ... though you state that you have seen the same issues with an EE HH6 so we might reasonably rule that possibility out

As an aside, I have raised a general query around issues associated with VPNs - I will add this one!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

metalligator
Dabbler

No other devices use the VPN.

She needs the VPN to work and kicking out seems random/unrelated to other things so to test she would need to sign out of her VPN, join a meeting and wait to be kicked out which isn't really an option.

Her old and new laptop both had issues connected via wired and both wireless bands.

It is a Generic windows laptop.

I am using the plusnet white one which I think is based on a homehub 5?

We are on dynamic.

The EE hub was providing the wifi/routing for the house (with a virgin media hub 3 providing the modem/internet connection) and we never had an issue, once we moved to plusnet and the EE hub doing the routing/modem was when the issue started.

This happens regardless of wired or wireless and worked fine with the same router (With the same wifi settings) so the wifi/network is unlikely to be an issue.

No other members of staff working from home have the same issue and she has a brand new laptop.

metalligator
Dabbler

I think she may have been kicked out once on the personal laptop but it reconnected nearly instantly whereas the work laptop takes a few minutes to regain network connectivity with outlook appearing offline and even after reconnecting the network showing as 'No internet'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@metalligator wrote:

No other devices use the VPN.

No other members of staff working from home have the same issue and she has a brand new laptop.

Do any other members of staff

1. Use Plusnet as their ISP
  2. Use EE as their ISP
  3. Use BT as their ISP
  4. Use the Plusnet Hub One (BTHH5a) 
  5. Use a BT / EE Hub 6

Obscure VPN issues can be caused by either the router or the network.

Can you please do a geolocation check on your external IP address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

metalligator
Dabbler

The EE router worked on another network provider (but it wasn't doing the modem as mentioned above)

It looks like her IP is based in Epsom but there is a proxy and if you do that individually it is in Palo Alto?

I will ask her to ask the other members of staff

metalligator
Dabbler

An update on this, although the EE router (with the exact same wifi settings) worked with vrigin, on plusnet my wifes work laptop did not get along with it in teams meetings.

Changing back to the standard plusnet router fixed the issue but now getting 5ghz issues

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

but now getting 5ghz issues

Might be worth checking this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363/page/170

metalligator
Dabbler

Already posted yesterday asking for the updated firmware but haven't received a response yet