cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed Change from ADSL to Fibre

tiffy
Rising Star

Proposed Change from ADSL to Fibre

I am  long term PN ADSL2+ user, relatively happy with performance and service.

However, I am tempted by the current members offer of migration to VDSL2, I was concerned that my LRS runs until Nov. but have been assured that this will be honoured if I choose to migrate.

I am currently using a Netgear DGND3700v2 router which obviously will not work directly on VDSL2 service, my questions:
What router does PN currently supply for VDSL2 service ?
Are BT/Huawei HG612 routers still supplied as part of a 2 box solution ?
Is it possible to monitor line stat's. using DSLStats or RouterStats with the PN supplied router ?
If I was to use a Huawei VDSL router could I then retain my Netgear DGND3700v2 which I am quite happy with ?

Good to see PN offering something to existing customers, not a normal occurance with any ISP by present day standards.

Any help, suggestions appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Proposed Change from ADSL to Fibre

I believe PlusNet will supply a modified BT Home Hub 5. See "Setting up and using your PlusNet router" for details on the router itself.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there, thanks for your interest in fibre broadband.

@tiffy wrote:

However, I am tempted by the current members offer of migration to VDSL2, I was concerned that my LRS runs until Nov. but have been assured that this will be honoured if I choose to migrate.

You won't lose your LRS if you upgrade to VDSL2.

What router does PN currently supply for VDSL2 service ?

We supply the Plusnet Hub One, which is essentially a rebadged BT Homehub 5.

Are BT/Huawei HG612 routers still supplied as part of a 2 box solution ?

Is it possible to monitor line stat's. using DSLStats or RouterStats with the PN supplied router ?
If I was to use a Huawei VDSL router could I then retain my Netgear DGND3700v2 which I am quite happy with ?

Honestly, I'm unsure. I'll leave these questions open to the community to answer.

Good to see PN offering something to existing customers, not a normal occurance with any ISP by present day standards.

Aye, we have a number of possible retentions deals.

If you decide to go ahead, I'd advise getting in touch with our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting Option 1 then Option 2) I'm sure we'll be able to provide you with the best deal we possibly can.

At the time of writing this, there is no wait time to get through to them and they're opening hours are as follows.

Telephone number:
0800 013 2632 (Selecting option 1, then option 2)

Opening Times:
08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday
09:00 - 19:00 Saturday
09:00 - 18:00 Sundays

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

PN or anyone else no longer supply the HG612, they are still available on well known auction sites.

Although technically not te best way to do it, if you plug the WAN port of your Netgear into a LAN port of the Hub One, letting it do the authentication, and either changings its IP range, or letting the Netgear do it, it will work.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

If you want to get decent stats and monitor them using DSLStats or another program I would strongly suggest getting a Huawei HG612 model 3B modem from a well known auction site, they tend to be a bit pricey lately but don't pay extra for an unlocked unit as unlocking is easy with a firmware upgrade. I don't think the PlusNet hub is any use for monitoring as it doesn't have  a Broadcom chipset. I have a couple of HG612s but I hadn't set up any monitoring as my line has always been at full speed - big mistake.Sad I've had around 10 drops and resyncs over the last couple of days and I'm now banded at 27.4Mbps so waiting for an Openreach engineer to sort it, I hope.Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There is a version of RouterStats that will work with the Plusnet Hub One, RouterStatsHub 5A, available here.

tiffy
Rising Star

Many thanks to all for the prompt replies, very helpful information, much appreciated.

I actually have two Huawei HG612 routers which I inhereted from family members who recently upgraded to Home Hubs with BT, I have already managed to upgrade the firmware on one of the units to the readily available cracked version which enables monitoring of all stat's., not much use to me to date as still on ADSL2+ but certainly an option if I do decide to go ahead with the change to fibre.

Do I get the impression that the re-branded HH5A as now supplied by PN does not have a very good reputation for performance in general, I use a direct ethernet connection to my desktop PC so Wi-Fi performance is not critical with my installation, only used for mobile phones & the wife's tablet within a strong, repeated signal area ?

RouterStats works very well with my Netgear DGND3700v2 router, DSLStats does not, the program originator does not offer support for Netgear routers for some reason.
Would probably prefer to retain my Netgear router on VDSL (by using a HG612) as it does have dual band Wi-Fi and Gb. LAN ports.

Any comments appreciated.

tiffy
Rising Star

One further question I omitted to ask, would the conversion from ADSL to VDSL require a BT OR engineer home visit, I would imagine not as I believe that fibre is now "own install", I already have a filtered ADSL, NTE5 type faceplate on my master socket where my current router is connected.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Self or Own Install is just that, you do the work at the home end. No visit by Openreach to your premises, they only do the work at the cabinet and exchange.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks for the further reply.
I fully appreciate the logistics of self install, this would certainly be my preference, was just wondering if this is now standard practice with PN for new or upgrade VDSL2 installations ?

I have decided to go ahead with the fibre upgrade and placed the order today, have opted to take the router offered, would be silly not to for the price of P&P..
I have also ordered up a BT Mk.3 VDSL Filter Plate to fit to my NTE5a master socket, I am currently using a "adsl Nation" filter plate which would probably be OK at a pinch, however will play safe and fit the Mk.3 filter plate.

I have deliberately avoided the new BT Mk.4 VDSL filter plate although it is only a few quid more costly, it gets very poor reviews for it's physical construction and it does not fit directly on to the NTE5a master socket, the older Mk.3 unit has a much better reputation for robust construction and easier handling of extension sockets wiring.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@tiffy

Self install is the option with Plusnet for FTTC. Managed installs are a thing of the past.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks again for the further information.

I thought this was the case but could not find a definitive answer either on the forum or PN members web site, very likely not looking in the right places !

tiffy
Rising Star

Glad to report that my ADSL2+ to FTTC migration took place this morning at 09:00 hrs., totally on schedule, no intervention at all required on my part as I had already commissioned the PN Hub One router a few days ago on my existing ADSL service thanks to a requested, early supply which was promptly actioned.

BT/OR only took about 15 mins. to complete the change over, minimal disruption to phone service.

My US & DS synch. speeds are at the top end of the new BT IP line profiles, fully to expectation.

Top marks to PN & BT/OR for service.

Not overly impressed by the PN Hub One with respect to ability to monitor line stat's., have the dedicated RouterStats BT HH5a monitor running which has limited capabilities due to the non Broadcom chip set used in the router.
As I like to regularly monitor my line stat's. I will likely consider an alternative router after a few days, possibly an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem / my old Netgear DGND3700v2 combination.

Only minor point, my DS target SNRM appears to be 6dB. now, my line could easily support 3dB. on ADSL, I have queried this to PN support via an open ticket associated with the fibre change, awaiting feed back.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid we can't specify SNR margins on FTTC lines, we have very little we can do remotely on them.

If your line is already synced at the top end the additional SNR isn't anything at all to be concerned about.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Phill
Hooked

You could go for something like a Draytek router which will allow you change the DS SNR. I personally use the Vigor 2860 

4g9nAMWzZX.png