cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promises, promises

KeithR60

Promises, promises

So I was recommended to use Plusnet as I had problems with EE and previously Virgin, usual drop out speeds, spinng wheel of death, radio turns off due to lack of signal Etc. The TV ads look great and promise quite a lot, but sadly after 6-8 weeks the service has got worse. Now I know for a fact that the junction box 10m from my house is fibre wired, but BT never bothered to run the fbre under the road to connect to my house so I have a copper connection which as well know is [-Censored-]. Just spoken to a Plusnet advisor who would like tosend out an engineer to test the line, which I know to be copper and can't carry the signal. Plusnet have contractually inherited this little section of line from BT so knew when selling me their service that they couldn't supply what they promised, and for this engineer to tell me what I already know I'm very likely to incur the £60 cost that the fault is mine, although technically the line up to my house is now the property of Plusnet. So I'm going to be charged £60 for being told that Plusnet's line is [-Censored-] and thet  they an't do anything about it. Well as Yorkshireman born and bred that is not honest and is not' doing me proud'. Shafted yet again by a company that really couldn't give a damn, thanks Plusnet

3 REPLIES 3
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Promises, promises

Contrary to your beliefs BT own and maintain all the cabling to your premises. Why not just let Plusnet arrange for an engineers visit ? Unless you’ve made substantial changes to the cabling within your premises you're unlikely to be charged.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @KeithR60,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your connection and that you feel that we don't care - I can assure you that this isn't the case.

To clarify, you are on fibre to the cabinet broadband so it's fibre up to the cabinet and then a copper line between the cabinet and your property, and the service was sold to you as such. Fibre to the premises is currently only available to a small percentage of properties and isn't a product that we currently provide. The estimate for your line is 57.7mbps -79.7mbps and under normal conditions your sync speed should fall into this range. If for any reason our suppliers confirm that they are unable resolve this problem and bring the speed in line with the estimates then we would allow you to leave the contract without penalty, though it is not often that this happens and the majority of speed faults are able to be resolved.

I've tested your line and can see that it's currently syncing at 16.9mbps. The test has picked up a fault but has been unable to determine whether this lies internally or externally to your property. This is why an engineer visit is required for this to be investigated further.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 16.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.4 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 429.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-08-16T13:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 16.9 Mbps 73.9 Mbps 45.3 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.3 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 19.7 Mbps
Up Time 674.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 6.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-08-29T12:34:30.615+01:00 2019-08-29T12:49:30.615+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

The engineer charging statement is as follows: " If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of Openreach equipment within your property and its boundary, or if no fault is found, you will be charged £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice."  As there is definitely a fault on your line given that the test has picked this up, there wouldn't be a charge for no fault being found. If you've not done so already, I would recommend that you carry out some troubleshooting checks to rule out any problems with your internal wiring/equipment to minimise the possibility of a charge. If these checks don't resolve the problem, we can then go ahead and book an engineer appointment.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@KeithR60 

Plusnet are far from perfect but it is wrong to automatically assume that because you have a problem they are out to shaft you.

I assume that you are now aware that the way FTTC works is that every user has a copper link from the green cabinet to the property. This is the property of Openreach right up to the test socket, which you will find behind your master socket baseplate. Providing there is no evidence of the cabling or socket up to this point being damaged by you then this will be repaired or replaced free of charge. 

If you carry out the tests proposed by @EmilyD and the fault is still present then the probability of you ending up with a charge is minute. In the unlikely event that this should happen then come back here and complain. This would result in the charge being fully investigated in public.

If the testing shows the line is fine up to the test socket then come back here and more advice will be forthcoming. This forum is supported by both competent Plusnet staff and fellow customers who are not out to shaft you!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'