Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promised upload speed increase not working yet

FIXED
Magma
Hooked

Promised upload speed increase not working yet

Back in late October, we received an email from Plusnet saying we were having our fibre upload speed increased from 1.9Mbps to "up to" 9.2Mbps. That doesn't appear to have happened. I rebooted our router but to no effect. The odd thing is that our upstream connection rate implies that we *should* be able to achieve the increased upload speed. We currently get 1.7Mbps upload speed with an upstream connection rate of 9.995Mbps (fast enough to seemingly support the upgraded speeds). By comparison, we get 31.4Mbps download speed with a downstream connection rate of 38.242Mbps (about the same, minus the obligatory overheads).

We are using a third-party modem-router (Netgear D8500) rather than Plusnet's original BT Openreach modem and Technicolor 582n router (because gigabit ethernet and wireless AC are not available on those). It was set up to function in the same manner and we have had no problems with it so far. Would there be any need to change settings on this router to enable this upgrade, or is something else going on?

Currently the connection settings are:

Transfer mode: PTM, DSL mode: VDSL2

Multiplexing method: LLC-based, VPI 8, VCI 35 (These cannot be altered)

Use VLANID: 101, Priority 0

Login: Required

ISP: PPPoE

Get IP and DNS automatically

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Promised upload speed increase not working yet

We currently get 1.7Mbps upload speed with an upstream connection rate of 9.995Mbps

The fact that you have an upstream connection rate (sync) of nearly 10Mb would indicate that the change from 40/2 to 40/10 has actually been done. PlusNet have their own profile(Current line speed) on the downstream but AFAIK they don't restrict the upstream. Maybe your BT upstream profile has somehow got stuck , have you tried running the BT speed test http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and selecting the 'further information. when the test completes ? That should show the BT profiles.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Magma
Hooked

Speed test.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Fix

Well that shows your Upstream profile at 10Mb which is what I would expect.

Are your speedtests wired or wireless ?

Have you got QoS enabled on the D8500 ?

Is this https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8500-slow-upload-speeds-v1-0-0-50-1-0-25/td... any use ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Magma
Hooked

QoS was enabled, and it would seem the router was using the previous speedtest run as an absolute throttle limit. Rerunning the speedtest on the router's own internal speedtest link bumped my DL/UL speeds to 35.7/9.3 - I think I'll leave QoS off for the time being and see if it's really necessary in this household.

Thanks for the solution Smiley