cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promised minimum 62MBPS but only getting a max of 21MBPS

mie_thompy

Promised minimum 62MBPS but only getting a max of 21MBPS

Hi,

I am new to PlusNet. I signed up a few weeks ago with the promise of 62mbps minimum download speed. Over the past few days I have checked my internet speed and the maximum it has ever shown was 21mbps.

Please can I get this sorted as this was not what I signed up for. Came to PlusNet because the internet was supposed to be faster than my last provider - so far, not true by a long way.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
hexa
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Promised minimum 62MBPS but only getting a max of 21MBPS

unfortunately government allows the industry to be down right deceitful. they can promise you anything as long as they say 'upto'. then it's just Russian roulette what you will actually get. if you complain they will just give you the run around 'testing routers' and sending engineers 'to look' until you finally take the hint and give up pestering them.

the whole industry is crooked like this as they are just about maximising profit and giving people the least amount of service possible.

complain to offcom and your MP.

jon
Grafter

Hi,

This is the third time I've written this message but it keeps disappearing when I view the thread again...

What product are you on? I guess Fibre extra?

What speed does BT think you can get? Go to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and enter your phone number. Look for VDSL Range A (Clean) downstream range high and low.

When you do a speed test you need to make sure it's with a wired connection to make sure you're testing the broadband not your wireless connection and make sure no other devices in your home are using the internet. Follow the instructions at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ to get a proper speed test.

Would you please post the stats for your line? If you have a Plus Net hub one then go to http://192.168.1.254, troubleshooting, helpdesk. Please post all of the stats but remove the serial number and user name.

If the speed you are getting is genuinely less than the minimum speed BT think you should get then you can raise a fault and BT will investigate. if it turns out you really can't get more than 40mbps then you Plus Net will need to downgrade you to the cheaper Fibre Unlimited.

You say you switched ISP to get faster speeds. To be clear all ISPs (other than Virgin) resell exactly the same Fibre product from BT so if you were already on the same up to 80 mbps product then switching ISP will make no difference.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

@jon

4 Posts were released from the Spam Filter and 3 duplicates removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

mie_thompy

Hi

I have attached all the correct information for you - I think it is all of it. The maximum speed I got was 59 when attached to an ethernet cable. I tried throughout the day and this was the highest I managed to get. As far as i can work out, the BT line check thing says I should be able to get a minimum of 60. I know 59 was close, but this was the only one that reached anywhere near that. The rest of the day it was only reaching 40s and the odd time low 50s.

Is there anything I can do? And why is it much lower if I check my speed with a wireless connection?

I'm using a Plusnet hub and have signed up for the upto 76Mbps with a promised of a minimum of 62mbps, which is stated very clearly on my account details.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from attachment in a public forum.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Duplicate post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Your PlusNet Hub shows you are connected at good speeds, which is all the ISP is going to help support. They have no control over what equipment you are using to do speed tests, nor the other WiFi broadcasters in your area. Testing via WiFi is nearly always going to be slower that test on a direct Ethernet connection.

So you actualy have 77Mbps, so well above the 62Mbps were given. 

jon
Grafter

Diagnosing wifi speeds isn't easy. There are lots of things that affect your wifi performance:

* The radio in the device (computer, phone etc) you are using

* The router

* The distance between the device and the router

* The layout of your home

* Other nearby wifi networks that could be interfering.

* Other wireless devices (e.g. portable phones) that could be interfering.

These are things that Plus net has no control, with the exception of the router they provided, but this is better than the routers most ISPs give you and you are welcome to replace it with a better one if you want to.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Jon has give some good information there, we do have some help about wifi here too https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.