cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promised increased upload speed - where is it?

Gertrudethered
Dabbler

Promised increased upload speed - where is it?

So where is the increased upload speed promised at the end of last year? I uploaded a video to YouTube yesterday that was 4 minutes long, medium quality (because high quality was going to be 1.7GB) and took two hours to upload. I just checked my upload speed and it's 1mb/s. (Yes, fibre customer.)

5 REPLIES 5
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Promised increased upload speed - where is it?

Are you close enough to the fibre cabinet to benefit from the increased upload speeds?

This site will show the estimated speeds available to you.

Gertrudethered
Dabbler

I have no idea. Plusnet's email(s) promised so much and didn't include any caveats like distance from the cabinet. One email says: 

'The upload speed of your service has increased from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps*, check out our blog post for more info on this.'

If it wasn't going to improve at all then why make such disappointing claims? I'm guessing now that the * points to some caveats, but I didn't imagine I would actually get speeds of 9.5mbps, just more than 1mbps.

The BT checker confirms my poor upload speed.

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I see loads of complaints about speed. We've known for years that your distance from the cabinet is crucial as is line quality.

The quoted speeds are assuming you are right next to the cabinet and will decrease.

If only BT would change my estates ally cable to copper or even better another closer fibre cabinet. Not going to happen though.

I'm on a 38/10 but only get 24/3 due to 800 metres of ally. It was 27/4 for about 6 months until a few weeks ago when there was an overnight outage in west London (Colindale) and when it came back was down and has stayed down 😞

Let's be careful out there !
Gertrudethered
Dabbler

I suppose my point is that the email I received gave me the impression that my speed *would* increase. I know distance from the cabinet affects speed overall, but I feel deceived by Plusnet on this, and my upload speed makes using YouTube a nightmare. When I got those emails I thought that problem was at an end, which is why I was so shocked when the video took 2 hours to upload.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

You mean this Email ?

Here are just some of the great things you’ll see:              

• Our superfast fibre broadband is even faster - we’ve increased upload speeds from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps (that’s 5 x faster).**
  • We’re boosting our UK customer service team - there will be even more friendly, helpful people on hand to help.      
  • Our Caller Display will be free for everyone - so you’ll be able to see who’s calling.

What they forgot to say

Upload speed will only increase if your line can manage it

Boosting our service team ?  well yes they been saying that for years https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Suggestion-employ-more-staff-to-answer-tickets-and-ph... post from 2009

Caller display free , only because OFCOM says no one can charge for it https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/rule-changes-to-protect-consumers-and-...

So Basically you get NOWT Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .