Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promised Speed

briarley17
Grafter

Promised Speed

Hi,
We switched to fibre twenty days ago and the speeds are below what we were promised.
We are on the 76Mb/19.5Mb package and were promised download speeds of 72Mb/s ± 1Mb/s.
BT speedtest and further diagnostics gave a download speed of 26Mb/s and a maximum speed of 60.19Mb/s which mirrors the line speed stated on the portal page (see attachment).
I appreciate the BT speedtests have been run during peak times, around 8:45pm. However, 26Mb/s is clearly a long way off the promised 72±1Mb/s and the line has been capped at 60Mb/s anyway. These tests were taken connected directly to the router, router directly to modem to master socket, no other devices connected, no other programs using bandwidth (at least that I was aware of).
An Ookla speedtest just now gave a download / upload speed of 44.97 / 18.10 Mb/s and after removing LAN cable from router and plugging back in. BT speedtest wants to run a TAP3 test and won't allow me to do the 'normal' test or further diagnostics at the moment. I will post screenshots of these tomorrow when I can.
I believe the router maintained connection for the full 10 day training period as I'm fairly certain I remember seeing 10+ days of uptime.
Before the unplug mentioned above the router was showing 5+days of uptime.
Your help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
briarley17
Grafter

Re: Promised Speed

Correction: I can get the 'normal' BTwholesale test but not further diagnostics currently, see attached.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I thought that they had junked that ridiculous promise of speed +/- 1Mbps as there is no way that can be given
The normal guarantee is the range clean and impacted as given here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
briarley17
Grafter

Based on the attached I should expect 61.9 - 80 Mb/s ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes you should
I would raise a speed fault at https://faults.plus.net
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

As I've posted elsewhere, my speed has dropped since installation and the maximum possible speed has been downgraded in the last month or so. I was on PlusNet Fibre Extra (80/20) but was told yesterday by PlusNet  (after they had suggested that I request an engineer to look at the slow speed) that my line can no longer support this. The PlusNet guy said it was lack of capacity at the exchange, but as has since been pointed out to me on these forums, crosstalk seems the cause. PlusNet's guy yesterday said that take-up had been unexpectedly high at the exchange.
With more and more "dependent" on fast communication these days, its easy to see that fast broadband is fast becoming as necessary as water, electricity, and drains, so maybe better solutions than adapting the old telephone network will be needed, or clever ways to utilise it better, and make it reliable? In my experience FTTC Broadband has not been the expected triumph that it could or should be, I have had speed issues and faults since installation only a few months ago, and a number of Engineer visits. For what I'm paying, I can't see it as being profitable once the engineering costs are deducted. What is sorely needed is "fit and forget" technology that can be monitored, reset, adjusted remotely on the rare occasions that becomes necessary, IMHO.
I could just be unlucky and be one of the few, in the sticks and linked to old copper lines, but I doubt it, I suspect much of BTW's wired infrastructure goes back to almost to green Morris Van days.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

BTO played it cheap and went the FTTC option knowing full well the majority of lines are many many years old and wouldn't be up to par but they didn't care only seeing the profits thay can make in the increase costs to ISP's and the customer.
only now are they starting to implement measures to combat some of the issues like G.INP for interference and later vectoring for cross talk, had they thought less about how much money they could stuff in their pockets and gone with FTTH instead things would have been better for all involved,  while the inial cost would have been higher the long term would have been far better for them and us they wouldn't have had to trial and then implement G.inp and vectoring and there also wouldn't be the need for the countless number of engineer visits, Ive had 4 since i had fibre installed a year ago might need another with my current fault i dont know yet,  i didn't have any in the 4 years i was on adsl with BE and i had 1 visit in the 4 years i was with Ukonline prior to that,  I cant be 100% sure but i'm willing to bet it's been more expensive than going the FTTH route would have done.

briarley17
Grafter

Many thanks to the engineers at Plusnet and Openreach, the issue should now be fixed!
The fourth and hopefully final engineer was out today and installed a wire directly from the point of entrance of the property to the master socket, eliminating whatever was causing errors on the line within our house.
When the engineer left he reset the line so that the maximum speed could be reached and DLM could do it's work. However, I noticed the speed wasn't going over 50Mbps and noticed that Plusnet had the speed capped at 50Mbps (https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed).
I contacted Plusnet and had this cap lifted to 77.8Mbps, and was told to restart the router to put this into effect.
However, I fear this may have caused DLM to lower the speed on the line. BTw speedtest now shows max achievable speed of 63.98Mbps. Is it best to leave DLM to lift the speed back up over the next 10 days? Or does this need another reset, assuming my restart of the router mentioned above is the cause of the drop?
Thanks again.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

There is no 10 day period on fibre it's only on ADSL, for Fibre your line is open ie it runs as fast as it's capable for two days from it being activated after which DLM then does it's thing based on how the line has been doing for those two days,  if you get a DLM reset then you go back to the two day open line again.
The only time there is DLM intervention before the two days is up is if there is too much noise on the line giving a ton of errors, DLM will then drop sync and reduce speed to keep things stable which could be the case here.
If you just reset the router then that wouldn't do anything in relation to the speed drop it only communicates with the modem and any devices on your network  the modem is what communicates with the fibre cab & DLM resetting the modem could have an effect but even then one user reset shouldn't cause DLM intervention during the two day period so it would have had to be noise / line stability related to cause the speed loss.    
you wont get another DLM reset unless an engineer does further work on the line / cab / exchange you can't get them just because speed has dropped and because your currently at 63Mb your still within your estimated speed range therefore it's unlikely you would get an Engineer back out to investigate unless it drops further to under the estimate in your case 60Mb, you would simply be told to keep an eye on it.    
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

At the moment your DLM profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On" so DLM isn't restricting your speeds in any way.
The tickets still with our Faults team at the moment although I suspect there may be not that much we can do further as at the moment your speeds are within the impacted range for your line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
briarley17
Grafter

So what's the  "IP Profile for your line is - 63.98 Mbps" / "63.98 Mbps Max Achievable Speed" in BTw further diagnostics referencing?
The engineer tested the line coming into the house as completely free of errors and at a speed of 74Mbps, he fitted a new cable directly to the master socket from there and did a 5 minute test for errors which resulted in just 100 FEC errors which occurred whilst the phone rang which the engineer said was perfectly normal. No other errors were recorded. Would this not suggest that the line wasn't impacted?