Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile woes again

ltbrenton
Dabbler

Profile woes again

Hi,
Been having issues with my previously 80Mbit line operating at roughly half throttle. Tried all the usuals I can think of - router reset, VDSL modem reset, even made sure MTU was tuned across the entire network (1492 in case anyone's interested) and no joy. Attached BT best-effort test here, it's looking like my profile's been throttled back for some reason.

Edit: Please don't ask me to login as the BT test user and run the check again. That test always hangs and errors out for reasons I've been unable to debug and seems to have no bearing on the final fault diagnosis, as this has happened to me before.
Double-edit: Damn, that upstream took a hit though...
5 REPLIES 5
Nobody
Community Veteran

Re: Profile woes again

Are you using your own router or the Plusnet supplied one? Have you tried a direct PC PPPoE connection to the modem?  You can then isolate the router as the issue.  I've been there as I used my own outer from the start (a Billion 7800N - even though I received a Plusnet router), and it throttled my speed to about half with certain settings.  Eliminated it by direct PC PPPoE connection to the modem, and subsequently confirmed by reluctantly using the Plusnet supplied router. 
I have since bought a combined  modem router. 
ltbrenton
Dabbler

I haven't tried the direct PPPoE link but I'll give that a crack. Honestly I may replace the somewhat hacked-together setup I have regardless. But before doing that I'ma wait for one of the Plusnet gods to confirm it's not on their end (or re-tweak the profile if it is Grin )
Edit: Tried jacking straight through the VDSL modem. Same results as before. Looks like profile trouble Tongue
One thing I did notice is my router's getting rather warm shall we say, so replacement equipment is on the cards. But the current issue of the day definitely seems to be squarely on the ISP side
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @ltbrenton
Line tests aren't showing any obvious issues or profile changes I can make so I'd advise heading over to http://faults.plus.net to raise that with us ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ltbrenton
Dabbler

Roger that boss. On it now
ltbrenton
Dabbler

Raised a fault. Running one last test that I just thought of - take the socket apart and do the ol' test socket trick. Result will follow directly 😛
Edit: No luck. Now waiting for the team of highly trained monkeys to do their thing Wink