Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile reset please

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Profile reset please

Please could my line profile be reset. It is currently 35.4Mbps. I'm on the fibre extra and typically get at least 55Mbps. The profile is also set below the fault threshold as reported by the availability checker.

Any reason why the profile has reduced, e.g. evidence of recent disconnections?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
18 REPLIES 18
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Profile reset please

Hi there.

Our tests are showing your router in sync at 36.6mbps. Changing the profile on your account won't have any effect.

Your line isn't banded either as it's on a 80mbps profile, and your connection looks stable:

I'd run through the checks here and if you don't see an improvement, please raise a fault to us here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maranello
Pro

@Gandalf

Thanks for your advice. For various reasons I did not follow it. Firstly, I have an Openreach Mk2 master socket, with a separate telephone and RJ45 (?) socket. Only the telephone section can be removed, and behind it is another telephone socket. I couldn't find a converter or old style microfilter to connect the openreach modem to this. Secondly, I have no access to sync speed data on the router, so cannot compare sync speeds for any difference between the normal setup and using the test socket.

However, I did reboot the router (but not the modem) to see if this would make a difference. A BT speed test did not show any improvement as the throughput is restricted by the line profile. Are you able to determine if the reboots (once at around 10pm last night and again at 6:30am this morning) made any difference to the sync speed? Should I try again this evening but also reboot the modem?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Firstly, I have an Openreach Mk2 master socket, with a separate telephone and RJ45 (?) socket. Only the telephone section can be removed, and behind it is another telephone socket. I couldn't find a converter or old style microfilter to connect the openreach modem to this.

I'll be happy to send you a microfilter free of charge if you want?

Secondly, I have no access to sync speed data on the router, so cannot compare sync speeds for any difference between the normal setup and using the test socket.

If the test socket improves your sync speed, the IP profile will change and so would your throughput.

As you're still using the Openreach modem it might be worth trying a different modem to rule that out as the cause of the issue. Happy to send you a Hub One if you would like to try that?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maranello
Pro

@Gandalf

Hi Anoush, thanks again for your interest and advice.

I have found a microfilter in a box of old routers and cables in my loft, so I am ready to use the test socket to rule out any internal cause for the slowdown. Unfortunately, for reasons I won't go into details on here, it is not convenient to be without a landline phone connected for the period of time it would take for the profile to update. Ideally I would like to be able to log into the router and get a quick indication of the impact, if any, of using the test socket, but current setup won't allow this. Your offer to send out a hub one is appreciated but I'm not prepared to pay postage for a replacement router that doesn't meet my overall needs and would therefore only be used for diagnostic purposes. Would you be prepared to send one postage paid and including a prepaid postage returns bag?

I have a connection that is working and usable, although below the fault threshold, but unfortunately cannot try to resolve at this time unless it can be achieved with the minimum of fuss and inconvenience. Thanks again for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @maranello

it is not convenient to be without a landline phone connected for the period of time it would take for the profile to update

You should be able to connect both your router and home phone into the test socket using the microfilter. Also if the sync changes in the test socket I'd expect you to feel an immediate improvement in your throughput.

Would you be prepared to send one postage paid and including a prepaid postage returns bag?

Given the length of time you've been with us I'll be happy to send one out without any cost.

If it doesn't help I'll also be happy to send a prepaid returns bag if you would like to return it.

Let me know if you would like to go ahead.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maranello
Pro

@Gandalf wrote

You should be able to connect both your router and home phone into the test socket using the microfilter. Also if the sync changes in the test socket I'd expect you to feel an immediate improvement in your throughput.

Thanks, that's helpful to know. I always believed the phone had to be disconnected to eliminate any potential problem with the handset, and that sync changes took hours/days before the Plusnet profile updated and throughput improved.

Given the length of time you've been with us I'll be happy to send one out without any cost.

If it doesn't help I'll also be happy to send a prepaid returns bag if you would like to return it.

Let me know if you would like to go ahead.

Yes please

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

and that sync changes took hours/days before the Plusnet profile updated and throughput improved.

Whilst that used to be the case a while ago and still is in some cases, due to the way your connection is routed across our network, the profile on our side shouldn't impact your throughput.

New router and returns bag have been ordered. They'll arrive separately (Or at least in separate packages)

Let us know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
maranello
Pro

@Gandalf

Hi Anoush

On Friday I removed the faceplate from the master socket and reconnected both phone and modem to the test socket using a microfilter. Results from BT Speedtester showed that speed increased from ~35Mbps to ~60Mbps. I concluded from this that there was either a problem with an extension phone, wiring, or the built-in microfilter in the faceplate (which is labelled as a Mk 2 and looks to be made up of two parts).

Yesterday I put the faceplate back and connected as originally with the router plugged into the upper RJ45 port and the phone in the lower telephone socket. Ran a speedtest which again showed a speed of ~ 60Mbps, although I was expecting it to drop back down to ~35Mbps. 

Could there have been a poor connection which has been inadvertently fixed by fiddling about with the master socket?

The replacement router hasn't arrived yet, in the meantime I intend to check if the speed drops back down again.

Also, I cannot understand how the BT speedtest can report a faster throughput than the plusnet line speed which is still showing as 35.4Mbps

maranello
Pro

Update

Ran another BT performance test yesterday evening. Download still ~60Mbps, Upload ~15Mbps.

Plusnet Line Profile still set to 35.4Mbps.

Noticed a significant increase in Ping Latency, up to 105ms - is this indicative of a problem?

Hub One router arrived in yesterday's post, but haven't tried it yet.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear you've seen a improvement.

With regards to our profile that only takes affect if you are routed through the BNG's which you wouldn't be unless you have a static IP or if you're still on the WBC network.

If you're connected to a PoP (Point of presence) then the Plusnet profile has no affect whatsoever.

With regards to the ping time I can't see any cause for this. Was this the figure from the BT Speedtest?

If so it may be worth trying another speed test service as it may be that the BT one is slightly inaccurate

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro

@MatthewWheeler

Thanks for providing the explanation. How do I find out if my connection is PoP or WBC? I don't have a static IP.

Ping stats from BT tester - which alternative do you suggest I try?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The easiest way to find out is by going here.

It should tell you where you're connected to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro

@MatthewWheeler

Gateway checker failed with the message

Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway; this does not mean that anything is wrong with your connection.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

There are some that don't show now that I think about.

The alternative is to do a traceroute somewhere and then a nslookup on the 2nd or 3rd hop.

It should show a few characters which you can use to determine what one you're connected to.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team