Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile dropped due to loss of sync

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Profile dropped due to loss of sync

According to https://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
If you’ve had a fault that’s affected the speed of your service, this is something we can look into for you. Unfortunately we are not able to do remote resets on FTTC circuits at present, so this isn’t something that can be requested nor can we send engineers out solely to complete a DLM Reset.

Can you look into this for me then. How long will it take for BT DLM to reach back to my normal speeds. Originally, my speed was around 72mbps when I joined back in Aug 2014, then it went down to 68.11 for two years and there was a power cut; I may have been the first one to resync which made my profile go back to 76mbps. Then until this week there was a loss of sync (for around 3 or so hours), because someone at the cabinet disconnected my line (yes I did go round the cabinet myself and see a man on the pcp switching wires round); because of this tool, I have dropped to 63mbps around two days ago and yesterday 61mbps; I admit yesterday I was changing my router's configuration which caused a bit of disconnections. (I am taking this information from the BT BRAS).
Will I be stuck on 61mbps for another eternity until there is a power-cut? DLM doesn't like to intervene with my line  Sad How long does it take for DLM to intervene with the line? Also I think my socket's filter isn't in a good shape either, whats the difference if I plugged in an ADSL filter by removing the vdsl faceplate?
If PN does seem to look through this post, I did close my ticket (as I did get in sync after a couple of hours) - if you might have made some notes or something (which I cannot see), the number is 122844772 (2016-03-29 12:02:15)
By the way, BT Speed Estimates:
So I am within the estimates range, however, I noticed that pings are higher (so I'm guessing I'm on interleaved; 12ms to 26ms).
5 REPLIES 5
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Profile dropped due to loss of sync

DLM can take days to weeks to restore, keep modem plugged in and don't reboot it  Tongue
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Riza
Rising Star

I've done this for two years since Dec 14 when the crosstalk issues started to happen. When there was a powercut recently, thank goodness I was the first to resync with the highest sync  Cheesy
Then, some tool from BT decides to disconnect my line causing DLM to trigger from errors.
Thanks, BT. Openreach.
Seems like I need to wait for another powercut, with these new developments connected to my cabinet, I could just imagine crosstalk to become a major factor on my line. Luckily, VM have added new ducting in the area and are willing to cable. So there's an alternative if all these people decide to get fibre.  Roll_eyes
dick:quote
Riza
Rising Star

Thanks for editing my post mods.
And coincidentally my profile has raised to 68.11mbps; when I was disconnected for a hour or so whilst I bricked my routers cfe through flashing an corrupted firmware package. I've fixed that router using tftp and my profile has been raised  Grin Win Win.
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

You break something to fix something!
I'm amazed DLM hasn't kicked off on my line, i had 2 powers in 1day just 3days after being activated  Huh
I've jinxed myself now  Cool
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: Riza
When there was a powercut recently, thank goodness I was the first to resync with the highest sync  Cheesy
Then, some tool from BT decides to disconnect my line causing DLM to trigger from errors.
Or more likely the original sync was just unsustainable and eventually your modem had to renegotiate. The cabinet doesn't just have a limited number of each speed range and the first to connect gets the best speed. That's just not how it works.
It's more akin to driving on the road. To use an analogy you got on the motorway just after it was reopened when it was quiet and were able to get your foot down. Then more and more people got on the motorway and eventually you had to slow down. It's possible that (to stretch the analogy) when the additional traffic began to appear you had to suddenly apply your brakes and now it's going to take sometime to get back up to speed. But there's no reason to expect to be able to get back to the speed you achieved when the motorway was empty.
Just because you connected initially at a higher speed than previously is no reason to expect that to last. As activity on the cabinet returns to normal so will the characteristics of your line. Eventually your connection speed will settle back to where it was before the powercut.