Profile check

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Profile check

Hi

Just done a speedtest with BT speedtesert

Download speedachieved during the test was - 18.73 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-20.17 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 20.17 Mbps

Please can you check my profile is set correct.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Profile check

Hey @dws1900,

Everything looks spot on from this side, however, I have changed some settings on the line - please allow 24-48 hours for this change to be apparent.

Thanks.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Hi

What needed to be altered?

Will I need to do a router reboot?

Thanks

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

I made some setting changes on your account, this has now completed. You shouldn't need to reboot.

Give us a nudge if you continue seeing your speeds below the minimum guaranteed speed/estimates and we can investigate from there. 

Thanks.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Hi

Apologies for not getting back.

No real improvement, but don't expect much more as its a long line, incorrectly provisioned, and cross-talk.

In fact I can only see it getting worse as the adsl circuits are migrated onto the cabinet.

Dont use the land line, but got a call today, background buzz which apparently was apparent last week (wasn't informed of this by my other half).

Any ideas what causes the buzz? (have had it in the pass but it went away)

Thanks

PS the disconnects on the line are due to me testing the backup broadband system

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @dws1900.

On testing, we're showing that you're currently in sync at 21.8mbps, which is within the line estimates.

Does this tally with what you're seeing your side?

For the noise on the line we'd generally recommend arranging for an engineer visit to investigate as we aren't detecting the cause, although it is possibly the cross talk.

I'd recommend doing the 17070 test, which will essentially remove the dial tone and enable you to hear if there is in fact noise on the line. It's best done from the test socket to eliminate internal factors as being the cause. If the noise is then still present, we'll proceed with getting a phone line engineer out.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@OskarPapa 

Hi

I can confirm the speed is 21.8 mbs,  and is close to the last test done using the BT checker.

The BT checker, numerous speed tests done every 15 minutes, using both the Vigor and PN hub show a throughput speed in the region of 18Mbs.

The BT test suggests the speed is outside the profile, hence the reason for original request.

Modifications were carried out via PN, not sure what these were, but they have had no effect.

The current noise on the line is with in audio band, below the bands used by VDSL2.

Cross-talk will be an issue due to the characteristics of the line, of which PlusNet has no control.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @dws1900 

If you could please perform the 17070 QLT as suggested above and let us know the results? 

In regards to speeds and profiles, as per my colleagues above reply, everything looks good from our side. I had a look to see if i could nudge the connection on our side to get anything more out of the service, but it's sitting at the right levels. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@MasterOfReality 

There is a slight buzzing sound when the test is carried out.

As the phone is rarely used I am not fussed, was more intrigued that the BT test suggested I should contact the ISP.

Not going to get any better as the line was badly provided when the BDUK program was running.

Will live with it until 4G/5G is working ok.

The internet is functioning at 22.07 Mbs connection speed, 3db S/N down link, 31 dB downlink attenuation.

BT test Download Speed (Mbps): 18.73    Upload Speed (Mbps) : 3.14             Ping Latency (ms): 17

T

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@dws1900,

We could try going down the route of a noisy line voice fault to see if we can get that part resolved, if you'd like? It's likely that line noise is causing fluctuates with the broadband. 

I'd suggest, if you'd like to progress down that route, that you run the quiet line test again but with nothing else but a single handset plugged into any of the sockets.