Did you mean: 

Profile change & DLM reset

FIXED
steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Profile change & DLM reset

Hello,

Just wondering if someone from PN can help me out a bit here? I'm actually complaining my line is too fast! Currently I think my profile is around 55-58Mb but the line is syncing at around 70Mb. I am getting HUGE amounts of errors at my end and I would prefer a clean connection to a faster one so will do anything to get it slowed down.

Please could my profile be moved to Stable and ideally a DLM reset done?

In an ideal world I'd have a modified service with a 55/20 (similar to the 40/20 you used to do).

thank you for any help in advance

Steve

www.steveocee.co.uk
21 REPLIES 21
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Profile change & DLM reset

Hi @steveocee, I'm sorry for the issues you're experiencing. I've tested the line and this shows that you're in sync at 53.5mb, no faults have been detected though can see there was some drops yesterday. 

I'd advise having a run through the troubleshooting here (if not done so already) and getting your router connected to the test socket for the time being.

If you're then still experiencing issues, please raise the fault here and let us know once done so we can pick this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
steveocee
Rising Star

Thank you @LaurenB 

The drops yesterday (should have been evening) were me taking down the PPPoE session as I was testing RouterOS vs OPNSense so will be a bit of a red herring and won't be reflective of my sync dropping.

I get upwards of 400,000 CRC errors in a 15 minute period so really am looking to try and minimise those if I can. I know the line isn't fantastic but I'd much rather operate within the limitations of the line rather than trying to get every last drop of speed out of it.

Is there any chance of changing the profile to "Stable"?

www.steveocee.co.uk
steveocee
Rising Star

To give an idea. I just rebooted my modem and have this already:

Latest 15 minutes time = 2 min 54 sec
FEC: 132312 0
CRC: 0 0
ES: 0 12067
SES: 0 7
UAS: 27 110387

www.steveocee.co.uk
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming what caused the drops.

I'm afraid that we aren't able to send off a request to change a fibre profile as this is only something that will be accepted if the line is banded (which your line isn't).

Though I appreciate your speed isn't a concern, we're seeing you in sync at less than the lines estimates and would recommend following the steps above so we can raise this further for you, as something certainly isn't quite right.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@steveocee wrote:

To give an idea. I just rebooted my modem and have this already:

Latest 15 minutes time = 2 min 54 sec
FEC: 132312 0

What's wrong with those? That's just completely harmless FEC and zero CRCs.

It's possible to limit your own speed.

steveocee
Rising Star

Hi @LaurenB, I've removed the faceplate (NTE5C) and using a filter and alternative cable am not getting much if any better. HG612 still reporting a sync speed of 53455Kb and large amount of errors are still there:

Latest 15 minutes time = 1 min 58 sec
FEC: 46506 0

I'm going to dig out the old Hub1 and see if that fairs any better to rule out the HG612.

@ejs I appreciate the input but as you can see, PN staff have commented the line is a touch on the slow side and those "completely harmless" errors are in the hundreds of thousands in less than 3 minutes on the downstream. Why would error correction need to be applied if the line was behaving well? I would class up to 1000 in a 15 minute window as acceptable and when combined with the slower paced line I would say that they are a symptom of the problem.

www.steveocee.co.uk
ejs
Aspiring Hero

What actual problems are you experiencing with your usage of your Internet connection?

Can we see the full stats? Is it actually using retransmission (G.INP)?

@steveocee wrote:

Why would error correction need to be applied if the line was behaving well? I would class up to 1000 in a 15 minute window as acceptable

This is the wrong way to look at it. Why not use error correction if it makes everything overall work better? I think basically all lines on Huawei cabinets use retransmission by default on the downstream (which also includes using a small amount of FEC). Where have you got your limit of 1000 FEC in 15 minutes from? It's complete nonsense.

steveocee
Rising Star

@ejs I'm on an ECI cabinet so G.INP is just a dream for me.

Forward Error Correction is a mitigation, a plaster if you would, that makes things tolerable, it's use just invokes additional resource and ultimately will slow things down as packets are transmitted, and corrected, and re transmitted and then your UDP packets arrive out of order. I doesn't make things better, it makes things "not as bad".

The 1000 marker was a rough approximation I picked up from the Kitz forums. I also deal with a lot of clients who are <500 so I know it's not unobtainable and some of those lines certainly aren't 80/20 solid.

I was concerned by the large amount of errors, PN have confirmed the line is under performing for what it should be. Also a family member is off the same cabinet, a little further away and whilst having similar speeds has hardly any errors, more and more signs point towards a line problem here.

@LaurenB I've tested the Hub One and it actually managed to sync slower than the HG612, there goes my excuse to upgrade to a Vigor 130 but at least it doesn't point to a problem with my kit.

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:05:26
Downstream: 51.51 Mbps
Upstream: 18.78 Mbps

Any ideas on what I should do going forwards? Would the next step be raising a fault?

www.steveocee.co.uk
ejs
Aspiring Hero

@steveocee wrote:

I doesn't make things better, it makes things "not as bad".

Shocked I was under the impression that better meant less bad.

It'll take the same amount of time for something to go through the modem regardless of whether the FEC data was used to correct something or not.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @steveocee

I've retested the line and I can't see any cause for this but the speed is still poorer then what we'd expect.

Can you raise a fault here and post back once you've done so

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
steveocee
Rising Star

Hi @MatthewWheeler ,

I have just raised the fault as requested. Will await further action.

Thanks

Steve

www.steveocee.co.uk
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for raising the fault.

We'll get that picked up shortly for you.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
steveocee
Rising Star

Hi @MatthewWheeler ,

The engineer has just left site having spent 3 and a half hours trying to resolve this. He has informed my wife that the line is now doing 56 (a minimum he asked me this morning) however my modem is still not reflecting this:

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19846 Kbps, Downstream rate = 53761 Kbps

I have added a message as per the support ticket but would appreciate some input as I'm a little stumped where we are going to go from here?

Thanks

Steve

www.steveocee.co.uk
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @steveocee,  

I'm very sorry that your speed is still below the estimates for the line and that the engineer that visited today didn't resolve the issue. I've checked the engineer notes but they are fairly vague and state that the engineer could not carry out the full tests due to a piece of their testing equipment not working. This certainly isn't the level of service that we would expect and I have passed feedback on to our suppliers about this.

Our suppliers have advised that we'll need to arrange another engineer visit so that this may be investigated further and have asked that we raise an escalation once the appointment is booked so that this can be investigated by a multiskilled engineer, due to today's engineer not resolving the problem.

Please can you reply to the ticket here with your availability for another visit? Please drop us another message on here once you've done this so that we can pick this back up and get the appointment booked in for you.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team