cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile bump please

dfunked
Grafter

Profile bump please

I've raised a support ticket previously but got given the usual "try using the master socket" line.

This is an issue that I've had numerous times in the past so would appreciate if it could be looked into a bit closer. My line syncs at the maximum it can (73999Kb/s) but every now and again I encounter slower speeds than I should be getting. At the moment it tops out at exactly 66Mb/s every time, so once again it looks like my profile is getting restricted again.

Could this be double checked please? And if there's any way to force it to stay at an unrestricted/max level that'd be great.

Cheers!

20 REPLIES 20
crimsom
Rising Star

Re: Profile bump please

Hello @dfunked you can check your IP Profile status in the diagnostics within the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test.

Your line IP Profile status is at the bottom of the box beneath the download and upload information. 

If a fault is detected, the BTW diagnostics will show a red bar and will say "Please contact your ISP for further assistance with these results." at the bottom of this page. 

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

dfunked
Grafter

Thanks crimson. No fault detected, and if I click further diagnostics I just get the below. I've tried a few times and results are always in the region of 63-65Mb/s

Results Image not loaded

1. Downstream Test:

Download Speed : 63.46 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 14.96 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @dfunked it appears that the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test is being used by many customers today and you were not given the option to use the BTW diagnostic test. An example is posted so you can see what happens when the BTW diagnostic result displays a red bar and declares a fault in the text. Most telephone line and broadband providers will investigate when a fault is declared in your BTW diagnostic result. Please try again when you are ready.

example of BTW Diagnostic + Faultexample of BTW Diagnostic + Fault

If your device has Windows, click on the screen image, followed by pressing the [alt] + [prt sc sysrq] keys to capture, then paste into your paint application so that this can be saved as a jpg file. To import this jpg file into your post, click on the Insert Photos icon in the header. Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @dfunked,

I'm sorry that your speed has dropped and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. I've tested your line and the test shows that your profile is currently set to 0.128M-74M, which is within the estimates for your line. However, the test hasn't been able to detect your current downstream speed at all, which suggests that something is out of place here that will need further investigation.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 0.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 71.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From12:15to15:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 13
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-74M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-01-07T19:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 73.9 Mbps 73.9 Mbps 73.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 897.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-01-20T19:11:27Z 2020-01-20T19:26:27Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
crimsom
Rising Star

Thanks to @EmilyD for posting the results of the Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) service test complete with acknowledgement that something is out of place that will need further investigation. 

We would like to see more data from @dfunked to check if your line has a fault to investigate.

Please obtain and post an image of your BTW diagnostic result from your BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test.

Could you also conduct a BT Broadband Availability Checker to see what speed your line supports. This test uses your telephone number. So please remember not to include any personal information when posting the result. I have included an example of an ADSL check result.

example of ADSL Check resultexample of ADSL Check result

Thank you in anticipation for your continued interaction. Kind regards. 

dfunked
Grafter

Thanks @crimsom & @EmilyD 

Still getting the same results with BT wholesale checker as per the attached. DSLchecker looks a bit more like what I would expect.

I'll give the suggested checks a try when I have a chance.

crimsom
Rising Star

Hello @dfunked thank you for conducting the two line checks.

The ADSL check result says that your line has been set up to give a download speed of about 80Mbps, with very little variation. There is no reported VDSL Range A to B difference so your line is exceptionally free of wiring issues or detectable copper line quality problems. This is a very good result. 

The BTW performance check's seemingly persistent refusal to provide your line's full diagnostic result is very perplexing. The Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) service test conducted by @EmilyD  refused to provide your downstream speed result. The absence of full data provision by these two checks is sufficient for you to raise a fault for further investigation.

Your comment about giving the @EmilyD suggested checks a try when you have a chance is your bad. Having raised another profile bump request with your earlier profile bump request flagged as fixed, you should have removed your master socket's faceplate and plugged your Hub directly into the master socket's test socket. 

Hope this helps. Kind regards. 

dfunked
Grafter

OK... I'm now plugged directly into the master socket with absolutely no change (appreciate that I should've done it sooner, but it's an absolute nightmare to get to the socket)

BTW test is still giving the same results with no option to take it further. Any speedtest I do is still topping out at 66Mb/s so I guess this needs to go forward as a fault. It really does seem to be something outside of my house that's limiting it.

@EmilyD  - could you take it forward please?

I've left it plugged into the master socket for now if that helps.

Results Image not loaded

1. Downstream Test:

Download Speed : 64.4 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 16.59 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @dfunked,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know you've got into the test socket, I'm sorry it's not helped any.

Can you please go ahead and raise a fault here and give us a nudge once you've done so and we can get that raised with our suppliers.

Thanks.

dfunked
Grafter

Cheers @Mads  - fault has been raised now

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @dfunked 

I've looked into this for you and I can see that the bRAS profile on the line is set at 70.3mbps which is 96% of your sync speed that's is correct for a line with retransmission on and this would explain your throughput of 64 to 66mbps. 

It'd be near nigh on impossible to get a throughput of exactly the bRAS profile. If your sync speed was higher this would increase the bRAS profile rate and in turn your throughput. 

As your sync speed is artificially restricted by the DLM(Dynamic Line Management) software at the cabinet I've requested a DLM reset which should go through within the next 3 working days and hopefully increase your speeds.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dfunked
Grafter

Cheers @Gandalf 

Somewhere along the way between swapping cables around for quiet line tests/master socket etc my sync seems to have dropped to 66999Kb/s and speedtests are now around 63Mb/s

Hopefully this gives it a kick back upwards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @dfunked 

I've re-added you back to the DLM reset tracker for another reset which should go through again within the next 3 working days. We may need to arrange an engineer to investigate further if this happens again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Afternoon @dfunked I'm happy to confirm your line has been reset and your sync speed has improved to 76mbps which is correct for a line with retransmission on as this DLM setting will be consuming some of the speed to keep any errors at bay.

If there's anything else you'd need help with, please feel free to let us know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet