cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile Reset Required?

BL-TZ
Dabbler

Profile Reset Required?

Been with Plusnet for a few years now and speed has always been between 33-38mbps (usually settling around 36) but for the last few weeks it has dropped below 30 almost as if it's been capped. Upload seems unaffected and is sat at 6.5mbps which I consider healthy for my line. Any chance someone could have a look?
7 REPLIES 7
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Profile Reset Required?

Hi @BL-TZ,

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
BL-TZ
Dabbler

I've seen lots of other members have their profiles reset without having to go down the fault route, as I don't believe it's a 'fault' with the line but more of a system issue at your end, can someone not look at it?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@BL-TZ 

Unless you are on a fixed IP address the current Plusnet system no longer sets a profile on your line. You are unlikely to get a fault looked at at the moment unless your download speed falls below the minimum guaranteed rate.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BL-TZ
Dabbler

No worries.

Ironically the village had a power cut this morning and when it came back my speed had gone back to 35mbps (will check again when I get home tonight) so looks like the green box may have reset itself.
Baldrick1

@BL-TZ 

Or it might have been that your hub picked up a different IP address when it rebooted.

Moderator and Customer

artfulbodger
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Baldrick1, can I just confirm - if you have a fixed IP address then PN set the line profile? Reason I ask - we’ve been on a fixed ip address ever since we joined PN around 6 years ago, never really noticed anything amiss (clear line, less than 50 yards from the cabinet, and a profile of 74.1) but recently have noticed a little drop in download speeds and a retrain reason 1 appear on the OR modem stats . Could this be due to the fixed ip profile? Thanks and apologies for using this thread for my own query.

Baldrick1

@artfulbodger 

No Plusnet no longer deliberately set the profile, It should be set clear of your maximum speed and the control be with the BT infrastructure.

It's presence is purely historical as Plusnet used to control the profile then all the dynamic addresses were transferred to a new system without this capability but the fixed IP addresses were left on the legacy system.

I mentioned it as it's not unknown for gremlins to get in and screw up this unused setting. However it's unlikely that a small.drop is being caused by this. It wouldn't cause a retrain. With more people taking up broadband and more streaming these days there is a general slow down affecting us all.

Moderator and Customer