cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my connection speed

GiGo

Problems with my connection speed

At the end of last year I decided to switch from Plusnet to TalkTalk, what a waste of time that was?!  TalkTalk were utter [-Censored-] and there customer service is terrible.

Whilst I was with them my speed was terrible, about 3mpbs, this was slighty better in the last month after I told them I was leaving.  I was told I was only getting an 11mpbs sync speed when I should get 20mpbs sync.

Now after switching back to PlusNet I plugged in my old faithful HH5 router and unplugged the trusty BTOR modem along with my brand new Synology RT1900ac router.  Things were ok for a day, then I kept getting disconnected Sad

I rang Plusnet and they chap was in fact very helpful, Sync speeds seem to be good at 20mpbs, it could be the line or it could be the router he happily told me.  Not worry I'll plug in the BTOR and connect to me RT1900 router.   Since doing my connection seems stable, well more stable than the HH5.

BUT......  My connection speed seems very slow, around the 3mpbs mark Sad 

This leaves me with a couple of possible solutions, either my BTOR modem is just as duff as the HH5 and the TalkTalk Router, or my line is pretty much naff.  Or on the outside chance my RT1900 is doing something to slow the connection (which I can't see how it would or why, all systems seem operational and the router reports back fine).

Has anyone any solutions or can a Plusnet rep get in touch to run some line checks?

Kind Regards

Giles

EDIT: just to say i have ordered a new VDSL modem which I will hopefully have in the next couple of days so this will hopefully eliminate another potential problem.

2 REPLIES 2
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Problems with my connection speed

Why not just try the HH5 on its own?

At least it has some useful stats and logs you can look at to help determine what is going wrong.

GiGo

Re: Problems with my connection speed

Yes I have tried with the HH5 on it's own and it seems to keep disconnecting me, every 6 hours or so.