Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with new Plusnet install

DezUk

Problem with new Plusnet install

Hi Folks,
I am hoping you can help.
I ordered Plusnet Unlimited Fibre on the 11th December and the Openreach engineer came to upgrade the line on the 31st. The problem is I am now stuck with no net connection as my Plusnet Hub is yet to arrive. I am with Sky Broadband but that has stopped working since the Openreach engineer made changes. He didn't bring a new line into the flat from the street but did make changes to the green box outside, not quite sure what he did.
So now I'm totally confused as to why my old Sky hub won't work with the changes and why I don't don't have my Plusnet hub yet. I have contacted customer services who are looking into the issue. One question I had as what changes have been made to the BT line?  What's stopping me going buying a suitable router rather than waiting on the rebranded one from Plusnet?
Just annoyed not having internet access since the 31st now Sad
Cheers
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Problem with new Plusnet install

Did the engineer give you an OpenReach modem?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: DezUk
What's stopping me going buying a suitable router rather than waiting on the rebranded one from Plusnet?

You should be perfectly OK buying your own modem/router if you wish, many of us do.
This list is probably the best reference for modem/routers that can be used direct on FTTC (VDSL): http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: spoon
Did the engineer give you an OpenReach modem?

Haven't they stopped doing that now that plusnet use the hub one or are plusnet only giving them out for self installs seems to vary some what from what i can see. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm expecting the answer to be No - but on the off-chance the OP has a modem I asked as I then would have linked the PPPoE instructions.
DezUk

I don't have a modem of my own so I'll hold off and wait for the Hub One. Looking at my order status it has been dispatched so should hopefully have it by the weekend.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
We haven't dispatched your hardware until now as our order to activate your service with us isn't due to complete until 19/1/16.
Unfortunately it sounds like the engineer that installed the line may have incorrectly or inadvertently disconnected your service with Sky.
This is something you'll need to raise with Sky as they'll need to report a fault for you, however please accept our apologies on behalf of Openreach and I'll make sure we raise a complaint with them about the engineering work.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DezUk

Quite frankly I am appalled by the quality of service that has been provided here. I ordered this on the 11th of December and had an engineer out on the 31st December which resulted in me loosing my Sky broadband connection. I have now been without internet for 14 days!!!
I rely on the internet for my work and obviously for my media services which have been cut off since then. From speaking with support it appears you cancelled the fibre activation which I didn't request which lead to this delay. I do hope I receive some sort of compensation or a refund as this is not acceptable.
One unhappy customer Sad
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I can't see anything on your account to suggest we cancelled your fibre order, although it does appear there were problems with the original order which meant we had to place a new one once the phone line was installed.
I also don't really understand why your Sky service stopping would have anything to do with us, as I can see your order was for a new line to be installed, not to take over/migrate services from another provider Huh
Have you contacted Sky regarding the services? As they may well still be providing services and/or not be aware that you're changing provider, since the orders with ourselves were for a new line installation, that would have no affect on a line provided at the same property by Sky.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DezUk

I moved house and checked around different providers online and asked on forums, after checking Plusnet was available I ordered online and it was a requirement to get the fibre installed in order to receive the fastest connection. It was not mentioned anywhere that I would have the option to migrate or that my Sky connection would be lost until the line was activated.
I still feel I am entitled to some form of compensation for loss of service which has led to loss of business and just general unhappiness at having no internet service having paid for it on the 11th December and being told it would be installed and working on the 31st.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Choosing fibre and getting a new line installed are not connected in any way. The engineer installation was to install a phone line and although fibre should have been active the same day, unfortunately there were problems with the order, so we replaced this for activation as soon as possible.
If you had services with Sky and got a new Plusnet line installed, this should not have affected your Sky service.
I'm sorry to say that we would not compensate for loss of service in this instance and as this is a residential account, we certainly would not take loss of business in to account if you are running a business on a residential account.
We are not currently charging for broadband as we are not currently providing it. However I'm sure we can arrange some form of goodwill gesture for the delay on fibre activation.
I am genuinely sorry you're unhappy, however I would also strongly advise contacting Sky to discuss the loss of their services with them. As we have not taken over any Sky services and the fact that our services are on a new line installation, Sky may not even be aware that you're cancelling with them.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When the engineer installed the new line did he provide a new master telephone socket or replace the existing one with a double socket (two telephone sockets, not one with a telephone and an ADSL socket)?
This a double master:
DezUk

He didn't replace the single line Opeanreach socket that was already there. He plugged in some line test tool then headed to the green box in the street to switch the lines over. He then returned to check it was working and left. At this point my hub hadn't arrived so I tried connecting the Sky Hub and it  o longer connects. I also now have a new telephone number so I don't see how calling Sky will have any success.
But now that I see the double socket this should have been installed so I could still use my old Sky line and have the new fibre line ready for when it is activated, if I am correct?
I will try calling Sky this evening but I don't think they will be able to provide much help as they will soon know I am leaving them to hopefully have a working Plusnet fibre line.
On a side note this has got to be the longest period I have waited for a switch or had to go without an internet connection. A colleague was advising me when had to wait for line activation he was provided with a dongle so he at least had some connectivity.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@HarryB
That makes it clear that it's the installation of the Plusnet 'new' line is the direct cause of the loss of the Sky service - you have some responsibility!
DezUk

Quote from: spoon
@HarryB
That makes it clear that it's the installation of the Plusnet 'new' line is the direct cause of the loss of the Sky service - you have some responsibility!

Couldn't agree more. I am now without internet in 2016, complete and utter farce. I have been a long term Virgin customer and had no problems in the past with service or installation to different properties. I am very tempted right now to just cancel the whole thing and request a refund. Will not be recommending Plusnet in the future.